• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Non-shepherd crook C Cornet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bairdstudio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Non-shepherd crook C Cornet? Reply with quote

I have a student looking to purchase a C Cornet. This is an older student (50s-60s) who plays primarily with his church. Teachers before me had him on a Bb cornet but playing everything in C. Long story but I've been reteaching him to a certain degree. I made a suggestion that he look into a C cornet so there isn't any confusion regarding fingerings.

He has quite a nice case for his strad. cornet that cost him $400 but it is designed specifically for a straight cornet. We are having some issue finding C cornet without a shepherds crook. The Yamaha C cornet is the only one I have located so far without a crook. While he did buy the Bach cornet brand new and is looking at purchasing a brand new C cornet, I imagine he does not want to spend $4500 on a C cornet that he plays in a limited capacity.

Any recommendations? Worth noting he prefers a C cornet over a C trumpet.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't too many choices for new C cornets out there and they're all pretty much going to be high end horns. Schilke ($2950) and and Getzen ($1900) are both shepherds crook and the Yamaha ($4575) is not. Several things seem amiss for this student.

Why not just sell the case and buy one that works for whatever instrument he gets? It seems pretty out there to buy a high end instrument, especially for an amateur and base it off what fits in a case. I'm sure you've considered this but just seems like a no brainer to find the right horn and then worry about a case. I would have other thoughts on the C vs Bb debate but also realize that it's "whatever floats your boat" and we play these things because we enjoy them.
Good luck. Square peg in a round hole on several levels I'd say.

By the way. What case does he currently have?
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-shepherd crook C Cornet? Reply with quote

bairdstudio wrote:
Worth noting he prefers a C cornet over a C trumpet.

Then also probably worth noting that the expensive Yamaha C cornet takes a trumpet mouthpiece.

Sometimes older people don’t worry so much about the cost if they can just get what they want.

Getzen might build you one custom without the crook for not too much more money. Might take a while.

A good trumpet repair wizard could probably even straighten out a crook; ie, rebend the bell section. But I really have no idea how feasible that is.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying an "American" long bell cornet instead of a shepherds crook because of the case is like buying a sedan instead of a convertible because the upholstery is the wrong color.

Also:

- Cornets are really non-standard in wrap and size. It's possible ANY long bell C cornet would may not fit in a specially shaped Bach cornet case. It depends on the case and the horn of course, but that's the point.

- If he'll be using 2 cornet, why wouldn't he want 2 cases - one for each?

- Most cornets do come with a case, C or otherwise. Sometimes Schilke's do not, but most do (the Getzen certainly would, the Yamaha very likely).

- If his Bach case is some sort of custom thing and not just a standard Bach cornet case, then he can have one made for a C cornet as well.

- Finally, C cornets are fun. I totally want one, I totally have zero need for one. Good luck!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol brass makes a nice C cornet - pretty sure they could a non-shepherds crook version.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: