• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bundy Flugel Horn/Cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Bundy Flugel Horn/Cornet? Reply with quote

I have a Bundy flugel/cornet (designed by Vincent Bach). Sound wise it seems to fall between a flugel and cornet. It takes a flugel shank mouthpiece. Does anyone on TH have one and/or information on this unique looking instrument?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had three.
What specifically are you inquiring ?

~ r2
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trumpet56

I've played one of these, as a previous band colleague had one. Rather than a flugel/cornet, I'm sure that this is a flugel horn with a cornet wrap, like the former Bach 182 flugel.

They take a Bach (small morse) taper mouthpiece, and play fairly well. I however thought that my colleague's one at least, had a lot more intonation issues than my Bach 183 flugel.

In my experience, these sound like a flugel rather than between a cornet and flugel. I don't believe that having a cornet style wrap means that this flugel sounds between a cornet and flugel.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ws tpt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Bundy Flugel Reply with quote

The Bundy was my first flugel, purchased either summer of fall of 1982. It has metal valve guides and plays nicely (better than many of the import "bargain/stencil" horns found on ebay. As Lou mentioned previously, it is similar to the old Bach 182. IIRC, it was about $295 in lacquer. It served me well thru college and I had it relacquered about 10 years ago. It reminds me of the early Martin flugelhorns from the 50s. For the past few years, I have used a Getzen 4 valve for most occasions. If I played more flugel, I would probably opt for the Dillon flugel. I have played several of these and each played quite well.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. It does sound more flugely with the Wick2 but very different from my Yamaha 631. Maybe I will pass it on to a student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: