• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning to play without Pressure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules_831

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Learning to play without Pressure Reply with quote

Trying to learn to play without a lot of added pressure. ( I'm the type of player always using the octave key)
What kind of techniques would you use to work on this?
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to play without excessive pressure is more likely.

The use of air compression will help. It is easier to compress air with a full breath. If you are mashing the mouthpiece you are either not using/compressing air and/or you are playing a mouthpiece that is too big for you.

Check the "Yogi Complete Breath" online:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sob/sob09.htm

This is the breath that Maynard, Bud Brisbois, Bobby Shew and others have applied to their playing. You do skip the second step which is holding the breath while playing the trumpet. t has been helpful to me.

Pete
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ffmrecords.com/2018/02/26/stratos-embouchure-system-a-review-by-roger-moisan/

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think you use too much pressure?
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are keys to opening up the high register. learn them and you won't have to resort to mashing your lips. you need a certain and very reasonable amount of pressure to play but not enough to beat the lips up or make them sore.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliminate tone production problems in the register below where you think you have a problem. Then eliminate them in the next register.

There are no magic exercises or methods. The magic is in your ears.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I believe that it's all about the efficiency of the air. Many people blow too big and too wide. This creates extra resistance and then the tension begins.

Many of my students have had a lot of success by working on beginning notes with a very quite breath attack. The air should be focused, but not forced. Keep everything buoyant and resonant. The sensation should be "allowing" the note to begin with a free and easy sound.

Once this is done with consistency, I then have them add note bending and lip flexibility studies such as Irons.

Unfortunately, there aren't any short cuts. Learning to play with efficiency rather than tension or excessive pressure takes consistent effort and discipline.

Best of luck!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piero Michi has a very interesting method I have been working with for a few months now. I haven't figured out how to compress the air yet for the upper register but the pedals are working nicely.
The method looks pretty wacky with the rubber bands but if you look at his facebook page there are a significant number of players who have figured it out.

http://www.30minuti.net/en/
MrGBand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are a couple things....

1) You have to play to a sound. Know the sound you want...Resonate!
2)Might sound stupid but, you have to perceive the feeling of not using tension and pressure.
2) If you can't play with a good sound (open, free) on the staff, you can't play that way in the upper range.
3) You have to build embouchure strength. Pressure initially comes from other deficiencies... then translates into habit.
4) I have noticed that when students play with a lot of tension they tend to pull their jaw down and back making it even harder to get enough compression to play higher.

I have worked on acceding scales, playing up to the time I feel tension. Then start again and go back to the same note paying careful, attention to use better support and embouchure compression and play it with a more open sound. no reeding jaw. When you get that note, move on to the next pitch.

Build strength though lots of long lyrical etudes (without stopping)...Concone and the songs in the back of the arians book work

Also, power exercises like those in the stamp book.
Pic Yahama 6810s
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been stated - less pressure not no pressure. I am a hobbyist but a couple of things that have helped me is the whisper G concept (Cat Anderson) and realizing that the things that give me range, power and resonance all happen before the air gets to my lips. The whisper G made my embouchure efficient. Once you have an efficient embouchure with a good set point, anchor tongue and proper support behind it you don't need pressure. Everything will improve. This is my experience anyway. Take it or leave it.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the only one not interested in the responses to his post is the OP.

Pete
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
It looks like the only one not interested in the responses to his post is the OP.

Pete

He got enough posts to post in in the marketplace, I would guess
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
Pete wrote:

Pete

And there it is:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=104239&s=Schilke-P5-4

Yep, just another time waster who actually seems to think that anyone around here would ever buy anything from someone who joins, makes five disingenuous posts, and thinks he'll then be considered trustworthy enough to send money to.

As of now, 21 posts have been made on the five different threads this guy started by good folks sincerely trying to help him.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
fraserhutch wrote:
Pete wrote:

Pete

And there it is:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=104239&s=Schilke-P5-4

Yep, just another time waster who actually seems to think that anyone around here would ever buy anything from someone who joins, makes five disingenuous posts, and thinks he'll then be considered trustworthy enough to send money to.

As of now, 21 posts have been made on the five different threads this guy started by good folks sincerely trying to help him.

Yep, I was just trying to be subtle.

Pete
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the mods need to change the rules here. Make the minimum 15. Or 20, or 10. or....?
People here who are comfortable buying something from a “five poster” will disagree, and say that just because someone is not interested in participating here doesn’t mean they do not have something worth considering to sell, and that’s probably true. Speaking for myself, I won’t buy from those guys. It’s not some kind of “you’re not a member of our club” mentality, I’m just not comfortable with the higher risk of being cheated.

What do you guys think? No, raising the minimum is still not a quarantee, there are no guarantees, but it might discourage someone with questionable motives from going to the trouble of making a higher number of meaningless posts.

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
fraserhutch wrote:
Pete wrote:

Pete

And there it is:

Pete

Subtle is for flute players.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
People here who are comfortable buying something from a “five poster” will disagree, and say that just because someone is not interested in participating here doesn’t mean they do not have something worth considering to sell, and that’s probably true.

I don't think such people who would be comfortable buying from such a person exist. I think everybody realizes that someone who starts five separate topic threads making five disingenuous requests for help just to get their five posts in, is clearly an untrustworthy person.

It would be different (though still a bit annoying) if the person read and replied to threads that already existed to "earn" his five post score. But to basically lie to all of us just to get the five posts in is an exhibition of sociopathic tendencies. Does that sound harsh? Maybe. I'm not saying these people are the equivalent of a Charles Manson type. But I wouldn't trust them with my money and I doubt any of the rest of us would.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Pete wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
fraserhutch wrote:
Pete wrote:

Pete

And there it is:

Pete

Subtle is for flute players. 8)

John,

My wife keeps telling me that I have to tone it down. I'm practicing restraint. I've even been off of Facebook for a month!

Pete
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
John,

My wife keeps telling me that I have to tone it down. I'm practicing restraint. I've even been off of Facebook for a month!

Pete

Is she a flute player?

Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Pete wrote:
John,

Pete

Is she a flute player?

:lol:

Stop!

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: