• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silver cleaning and polishing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyLongwill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Silver cleaning and polishing Reply with quote

Hello all,

I’m looking to expand my cleaning and polishing techniques outside of dawn soap in the bathtub and then a silver polishing cloth. I found a video online of a DCI player who uses “brasso” for cleaning slides and then “hagerty’s spray” (because it’s not abrasive like the paste). Has anyone ever used these and what have your experiences been?

Thanks
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search; there are many threads on this.

Brasso is pretty abrasive.

For silver I use 3M's Tarnishield. Others use Flitz, and I am sure others abound. I would not use a normal silver polish like Wright's (too abrasive). Also search for the baking soda and aluminum method of removing tarnish without removing metal.
MDHorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Silver cleaning and polishing Reply with quote

RandyLongwill wrote:

I’m looking to expand my cleaning and polishing techniques outside of dawn soap in the bathtub and then a silver polishing cloth. I found a video online of a DCI player who uses “brasso” for cleaning slides and then “hagerty’s spray” (because it’s not abrasive like the paste). Has anyone ever used these and what have your experiences been?

Hey, RandyLongwill:

Welcome to TH!

I have not used either of these, but offer the following, albeit unsolicited, advice:

The bathtub method is great for removing greasy fingerprints from the outside and saliva and gunk from the inside (so long as the valves are completely removed and you wash them separately to make sure the felt pads do not get wet - this could alter the vertical alignment of the valves).

As for the tarnish, simply washing won't do anything for the tarnish, however. Tarnish is simply a chemical reaction between the silver and oxygen in the air we breath (atmosphere). Unless the silver is somehow "sealed" from the oxygen, tarnish is inevitable.

Though I'm no expert by any stretch of my imagination (nor anyone else's), for cleaning a silver or silver plated horn (or mouthpiece), I would suggest using the chemical method that "reverses" the tarnishing process versus "removing" the tarnish that is on the silver. Why? You said you use a silver polishing cloth on your horn. If it is a commercially available cloth, it is impregnated with a solvent that "removes" the tarnish from the horn. When you take a look at the cloth after polishing, it has turned dark - that's the tarnish removed from the horn, but it's taking silver with it. To get a better (albeit longer) explanation and to see how to "reverse" the process, check out the link below:

http://blog.teachersource.com/2014/01/18/chemistry-of-tarnished-silver/

I tried it on my mouthpieces for my comeback (which, when I removed them from my case after decades of non-use, I was afraid to even touch them!) and let me tell you, it works!

Please let us know what you think and how it turned out, if you deceide to give it a try.

Best!

MDHorn
'?? Couesnon Flugelhorn

Last edited by MDHorn on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
For silver I use 3M's Tarnishield. Others use Flitz ...
I would never advise anyone to use Flitz on silver plate. Here's what Flitz's website says: "DO NOT use Flitz, or any polish, on any plated item unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it. Flitz is not dangerous to use on any metal, but the actual polishing is what rubs the plating off."
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind if the polish contains a silica base some shops won’t replate because the silicone creates a barrier over time that causes adhesion issues with the new plating.

JJ
MDHorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeDad wrote:
Keep in mind if the polish contains a silica base some shops won’t replate because the silicone creates a barrier over time that causes adhesion issues with the new plating.

JJ

+1
'?? Couesnon Flugelhorn
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeDad wrote:

JJ

Silica and silicone are not the same thing. Silica is essentially sand. Silicone is a synthetic rubber. If the polish contains silica, it is abrasive. If it contains silicone, it is lubricious and, yes, the silicone will build up on the surface.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum foil and baking soda method as previously mentioned works, the downside is it's somewhat labor intensive and there's a certain amount of hazard in that you're using hot water - the hotter the better. The other thing I find is it isn't as effective on certain stubborn spots. There might be a way to sup-up the process. The best thing to do is start using the process when the horn is new and not let it get really tarnished.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a polishing cloth very often you'll soon start to notice "gold" colored places appear on sharp edges where you're wearing the silver plating off of the instrument entirely. You'll also wear through the plating faster at the normal places of contact.

I must have a fairly easy chemical system that doesn't affect the finish very much and perhaps the air quality where I live is better than some- I rarely see a need to clean/polish my trumpets and tarnish is minimal. When I do polish I use the Tarnishield because that's what Schilke recommended when I bought my first horn there 45 years ago. One container seems to last forever if you keep it capped tightly and Tarnishield contains an inhibitor that helps prevent further tarnishing. The soda/aluminum foil method works as well but there is no inhibitor. Anyway, were I you, I'd toss that cloth in the trash. (I do, BTW, keep the inside of the instruments clean...) Good luck.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver cleaning and polishing Reply with quote

MDHorn wrote:
RandyLongwill wrote:

Hey, RandyLongwill:

Welcome to TH!

I have not used either of these, but offer the following, albeit unsolicited, advice:

The bathtub method is great for removing greasy fingerprints from the outside and saliva and gunk from the inside (so long as the valves are completely removed and you wash them separately to make sure the felt pads do not get wet - this could alter the vertical alignment of the valves).

As for the tarnish, simply washing won't do anything for the tarnish, however. Tarnish is simply a chemical reaction between the silver and oxygen in the air we breath (atmosphere). Unless the silver is somehow "sealed" from the oxygen, tarnish is inevitable.

Though I'm no expert by any stretch of my imagination (nor anyone else's), for cleaning a silver or silver plated horn (or mouthpiece), I would suggest using the chemical method that "reverses" the tarnishing process versus "removing" the tarnish that is on the silver. Why? You said you use a silver polishing cloth on your horn. If it is a commercially available cloth, it is impregnated with a solvent that "removes" the tarnish from the horn. When you take a look at the cloth after polishing, it has turned dark - that's the tarnish removed from the horn, but it's taking silver with it. To get a better (albeit longer) explanation and to see how to "reverse" the process, check out the link below:

http://blog.teachersource.com/2014/01/18/chemistry-of-tarnished-silver/

I tried it on my mouthpieces for my comeback (which, when I removed them from my case after decades of non-use, I was afraid to even touch them!) and let me tell you, it works!

Please let us know what you think and how it turned out, if you deceide to give it a try.

Best!

MDHorn

I'm wondering if the chemical method has any effect (negative or positive) on the exposed brass inside the tubing, valve casings, etc?

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
tubadylan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Silver Polish Video Reply with quote

Here is a video I did a while back on YouTube. I hope it is helpful.

Dylan

Link

Yamaha YBL-622 "Doug Yeo" bass trombone
Yamaha YTR-8445S Xeno C Trumpet
Yamaha YTR-8335RG Xeno Bb trumpet
Carol Pocket Trumpet
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:

... When I do polish I use the Tarnishield because that's what Schilke recommended when I bought my first horn there 45 years ago. One container seems to last forever if you keep it capped tightly and Tarnishield contains an inhibitor that helps prevent further tarnishing... Anyway, were I you, I'd toss that cloth in the trash. (I do, BTW, keep the inside of the instruments clean...) Good luck.

Tarnishield has been my finish cleaning choice since 1971. I use it about once a year or so and that seems to work very well since the tarnish preventive aspect is very effective. I also wipe my horns down thoroughly at the end of the day with an untreated Selvyt Cloth (machine washing regularly keeps the cloths working and lasting extremely well). The Selvyt Cloth is UNTREATED and removes fingerprints and light oils before storing my horns away. The Silver Plate on my 1971 Benge (I bought new in late 1971 or early 1972) is still very good other than a few minor scratches and tiny pings but absolutely no wear through. As far as cleaning the inside, I used the bathtub and snake method for decades until I heard about BlowDry Brass. I started using that exclusively on a then new Bach NY7 about a year and a half ago, following the directions at the end of every playing day. I took a few days cleaning all of my other horns as thoroughly as possible the old school way then began using BlowDry Brass on all of them at the end of every playing day as well. I consider my horns as fine tools and expect them to last me a lifetime, and I treat them as such. My Grandson has his eye on all of my horns as well and they will eventually go to him, so I want them to be as good as possible for him too!

Best Wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces

Last edited by cbtj51 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Silver cleaning and polishing Reply with quote

308WIN wrote:
I'm wondering if the chemical method has any effect (negative or positive) on the exposed brass inside the tubing, valve casings, etc?

No. The chemical reaction reduces the silver tarnish, doesn't do anything to the brass.

You do still need to clean the horn as the mixture has to be able to reach the silver for it to work, natch.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the foil and baking soda routine. It works, but tarnish comes back quickly.

I think tarnish in the early stages gives the horn a nice smoky look, but there comes a time it just looks gross. The horn gets shiny at its annual clean at Osmun and stays fairly nice for about six months. So I give it a mid-year wipedown with Twinkle, which is one of the least abrasive creams.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something called Blitz metal care. It was recommended by a trumpet player/store owner. Should I be worried about using it?

https://www.cassandrastrings.com/cleaning-supplies/703-blitz-metal-care-for-silver-instruments-cleaning-cloth-0075549003034.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Yv3r-3n2QIVVkwNCh3kUQKiEAQYAyABEgJgpvD_BwE
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitz is recommended by Mr. Herman. Followed closely by Tanishield and Twinkle.

http://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
I have something called Blitz metal care. It was recommended by a trumpet player/store owner. Should I be worried about using it?

https://www.cassandrastrings.com/cleaning-supplies/703-blitz-metal-care-for-silver-instruments-cleaning-cloth-0075549003034.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9Yv3r-3n2QIVVkwNCh3kUQKiEAQYAyABEgJgpvD_BwE

That looks like a standard silver polishing cloth. It's basically a flannel cloth with a mild to medium abrasive substance that rubs off the tarnished silver to expose the shiny silver below. That's basically how all of them work.

Use it too much and you'll rub off your silver plate to bare brass in spots.

I used one of these a ton in HS. I've used it maybe once, since then.

To each their own....

Also note that you linked to a Blitz "polishing cloth" as opposed to Blitz "Silver Shine Polish." The link that the above poster has notes that the polishing cloth is too abrasive, but has good things to say about the silver polish along with 3M Tarnishield.

Croquethed wrote:
Blitz is recommended by Mr. Herman. Followed closely by Tanishield and Twinkle.

http://www.hermansilver.com/silver-polish-abrasion-ratings.htm

Here's the link I mention. Nice page, it's very informative. Thanks!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll stop using the Blitz cloth and get the blitz polish. i actually like a shiny horn so i don't want to wear away the silver plate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: