• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance Mouthpieces?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scout95

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: AR Resonance Mouthpieces? Reply with quote

I was wondering what peoples' experiences with AR Resonance mouthpieces have been? I currently play on a Monette B2S3 resonance prana and a GR 3HC but have been looking into getting an AR Resonance for the ability to have a plastic rim and cup for endurance and comfort purposes. I also like the idea of having the ability to switch between a conventional rim and cup to plastic by screwing it on. Thoughts?
BLOWUP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually play on AR mouthpices and they suite really well.MLB 40/10 for rotary,MLC 40/9 for piston and MSD 40/10 for pic.
I really tried all different brands before,(Bach, Yamaha, Breslmair,Curry,Toshi,Parke,etc.),....but Antonios pieces are unbelievable efficent , well in tune and easy to play.You need few, but some aclimation time, but`s really worth to try. I can change also the backbores for C trumpets (40/10 C rotary, and 40/9c piston, tumpet/cornet shank piccolos)
Piccolo 40/10 trumpet shank didn´t work well on some brands, but 40/10 cornet/trumpet adapter solved the problems.
Best in tune, best sounding, easiest performing and most eficient mouthpieces I played ever in my career.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pieces, I'm especially fond of my stainless top (SC42).
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one and I love it. So easy to play, comfortable rim and the sound is full and even throughout the range of the horn.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/rims.html

Scroll to the bottom.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Antonio in person, he's a good friend and I can guarantee that he can give top notch service. I played Monette Prana mouthpieces in the past, for quite a few years, but have been playing an AR Resonance MC 40/8 mouthpiece on my Taylor for three years now, and I am really happy about it, I have everything the Monettes gave me, but with a tad more resistance that I needed. Antonio can give countless options to find your best setup and best fit with your own horn. Intonation is spectacular. If you are already familiar with Monette you will not have any problem in the transition. He's got distributors in the US and other countries.
golf4funjn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AR Resonance mouthpiece for my trumpet and flugelhorn. I've only been playing for 5 years but tried many many mp's and there was just nothing that compared to the AR's as far comfort and sound. I know that many of the NY players have switched to the AR's. They are just awesome!
Edwards X-19 Bb Flugelhorn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switched from Monette (B4L, B4S2, B6) to GR65 mouthpieces, so pretty similar to the OP, it seems. About 2-3 months ago I switched to the AR in my signature for trumpet.

The reason is that the GRs for me play much better (better sound, better attacks and response, better approach to notes, MUCH more efficient) than Monette. NOW AR adds another dimension to that - for me they play even easier and with an even better and more open sound that the GRs.

That said, I still like the GR on my flugel and I also keep the GR65SZ for very aggressive playing until I can find something that is even better maybe an AR LEAD cup?

So all in all, absolutely worth the investment (first mouthpiece bought new since ca. 1990).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony is a class act.

First off, because ARs are screw rim, I couldn't use my trusty Monette B6DS1. Yes, he has adapters that can fit regular MPs but I wanted the full screw in feel.

He made a rim for me that is now my rim, and the standard that I use so we could just focus on cup depth. I have various cups now that are different degrees of shallow and fluffy.

His turn around time is super fast considering he's in Italy (and he's still pumping out products during COVID) and he's very responsive through email.

All the flourishing comments are accurate.
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to take the AR Resonance mouthpiece plunge, there are 3 Brand New AR mouthpieces on E-Bay in gold plate no less for $249 with free shipping. Springfield (Missouri) Music is the seller. I just bought one (the lead mouthpiece that is like a shallow 3C) earlier in the week and got it yesterday. I have been playing the AR MSD cup (like a Bach 7C). I think I am going to like new one even more ! The rims are incredibly comfortable. Public Service announcement - I am a rank amateur so my opinion holds no water !
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own several AR cups and backbores and I enjoy playing them all in certain circumstances. They have not replaced my Monettes by any means but they are more appropriate for certain playing environments without sacrificing efficiency. There's one performance venue in particular where my Monettes have always been too lively. The ARs helped me round out the sound without changing my approach to playing.

The only challenge I've found with both Monette and AR is articulation. Someone mentioned GR and my GR is BY FAR my best mouthpiece for articulation. I just don't like the sound or feel so I almost never use it.

I would like to visit the Monette shop at some point to see if there's a mouthpiece that might be more ideal for me but until then I'll be happy switching back and forth.

Last edited by kevin_soda on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an AR MLC40 with the large back bore. It's by far the most comfortable mouthpiece I've ever played. Even more so than my Reeves. I love the open, but not too open blow. Looks gorgeous too. Mine is gold plated. I plan on picking up his other back bores to experiment a bit, but this is a really killer piece.When quarantine is over I can't wait to use it on some gigs!
trompeyko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Ar resonance cup size comparison Reply with quote

I want to buy a AR Resonance mouthpiece, but I'm not sure how to choose the size of the cup size. I'm playing Warburton 4sv with backbore KT*SERIES 80 ( I know that this is a lead mouthpiece, but I'm not a lead player). I would like to have more colourful sound, in a way of Alex Sipiagin, Marquis Hill.
Antonio advised me to buy ME 40 throat, M backbore, Phosphor Bronze.
Someone to know the size of M serie, and the filling of M backbore?
What would be the difference between:

ME 40 throat, M backbore, Phosphor Bronze.
and
MD 40 throat, S backbore, Phosphor Bronze.

Thanks, Trompeyko
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M series is similar to a Bach 3 in size. I have a ME 40 top which I use for big band and commercial playing. It's incredibly comfortable and easy to play with a full sound from top to bottom. I don't bottom out on it like I do on other shallow mouthpieces.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also play an ME40 top and find it perfect for big band, funk, rock, lead. I do bottom out sometimes so looking at maybe the MD or MC cups.
1977 Conn 6B
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ME was too narrow for me but I did find it very comfortable. I have MLC/D/E and I prefer the L backbore but I also have M and #7 (which, supposedly, are the same...) I love the feel, sound, and response of all. I don't know the Warburton sizes but I think the MD top with the M backbore is a solid bet for many players.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin: how do you keep track of what you have on the horn? With that many components to play with, this must be confusing, no?
1977 Conn 6B
trompeyko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I got it ME 40 throat, S backbore, Phosphor Bronze, but it fills somehow to small. I'm not sure what direction should I go.

What is the difference between S backbore and M backbore?

Or should I try the ML size?

Thanks, Trompeyko
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Kevin: how do you keep track of what you have on the horn? With that many components to play with, this must be confusing, no?

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand your question. I used trial and error to determine which tops and backbores I like. It's a trade off from there. The LC sounds best but it's too big for some applications. I use the M backbore almost exclusively. If I have to play above the staff for extended periods of time or at soft dynamics, it gets fatiguing. The MLC is the best all around. The MLD is the most efficient. The MLE has the best upper register response but sacrifices depth of sound, articulation, and dynamics. I don't need to "keep track" of anything. I make an informed decision and try to focus on the music.
trompeyko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How big is the deference top size the M series and ML serie.

Equipment:

Bb trumpet - 37 Bach LR25

Jazz mouthpiece: Warburton 4sv top with backbore series 80 KT*.

Classical mouthpiece: Yamaha 15c4 or 14c4 (with this sound is not so special), JK 4C (but with this intonation and response is not so good)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: