• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Offstage parts for Verdi Requiem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas2516

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Offstage parts for Verdi Requiem Reply with quote

What is the standard trumpet used for the offstage parts in Verdi's Requiem? A quick YouTube search leads me to believe they are normally played on C or Bb, but the parts are written for Eb.

Thanks.

Thomas Lee
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Offstage parts for Verdi Requiem Reply with quote

Thomas2516 wrote:
What is the standard trumpet used for the offstage parts in Verdi's Requiem? A quick YouTube search leads me to believe they are normally played on C or Bb, but the parts are written for Eb.

Thanks.

Thomas Lee

They are typically played on whatever horns are typically played in that region...i.e. C pistons in the USA, Bb pistons in the UK, either Bb or C rotaries in Germany/Austria, etc...

The parts are in Eb, as these are Eb fanfare parts, which can work on some of the instruments Verdi had at his disposal in the 1870s - they may have been three-valved instruments, but they each had to have at least one valve to allow for the chromatic pitches he writes.

I've known people to use an Eb if they can manage to keep the pitch high enough to work when off-stage, but really these four off-stage parts should ideally be played with the same basic equipment as the trumpets in the orchestra.

Best,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Thomas2516

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Offstage parts for Verdi Requiem Reply with quote

They are typically played on whatever horns are typically played in that region...i.e. C pistons in the USA, Bb pistons in the UK, either Bb or C rotaries in Germany/Austria, etc...

Thank you! Just what I wanted to know.
jaylward

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo what people say here. Even though it's written in Eb, the Eb sound would be a bit too small. A good rule of thumb is (if you're subbing with pros) play what the rest of the people in the section are playing. Don't stick out.

If you're worried about being able to transpose, use this as a great opportunity to learn that skill! You should be able to play whatever's in front of you with relative ease on any trumpet you have in front of you. (Granted, I certainly wouldn't play the Requiem on D trumpet, but I could if i needed to.)

TL;DR- probably just play it on C.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I performed it years ago everyone was on C trumpets.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically, whatever works (and is agreed upon), but keep in mind that the valved, orchestral trumpet of the 19th C was originally in (low) G and then in (low) F with crooks lowering the key to E♭ (and below) -- natural, Baroque trumpet lengths. This is the trumpet for which Verdi was writing.

So we're talking alto-trumpet length with a bore about the same as modern B♭ trumpets.

Timbre-wise, B♭ (rotary, perhaps, especially) might be the best choice.

Certainly high E♭ trumpets would be a generally poor and an uninformed choice.

And, the historicity of this situation is being lost to an extent by players, teachers, and conductors. Don't be surprised if you encounter an argument or two.

-Denny
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of thoughts here. The "offstage" parts of this piece are not usually played backstage as the banda parts are in Verdi operas. Usually the 4 extra trumpets are played in a balcony or some other interesting spot in the hall for a sort of surround sound effect, as is normally done for the extra brass parts in Pines of Rome.

As far as which instrument to use, C or Bb would be common, although I would argue that the first entrance in the first offstage part is difficult and delicate, and is very easy to crack on a Bb or C, as I heard once in a live performance with a top 5 major USA orchestra. Personally I would use a large bell Eb for that part if had to play it. That first entrance comes 10-15 minutes into the piece, and the added security of the Eb can really help for coming in cold.

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: