• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Starting on flugel instead of trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayinTO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Starting on flugel instead of trumpet? Reply with quote

Hi All,

First post. I have had a lifelong love of music but only recently decided, at 40+, to do something about learning to play an instrument. I joined a local concert band for mature adults with no musical experience and started playing bass clarinet, which I love. I have since, however, been smitten with the flugelhorn after seeing Guido Basso in a small live performance.

I have rented a Yamaha YFH-631G, printed off a fingering chart and have spent a week or so playing around with trying to teach myself some basics. My question is whether learning flugel first will be detrimental to learning trumpet if I decide to try that in the future.

I know I am most likely doing too much at the same time, but I just feel like I have a lot of wasted time to make up for and I'm trying to run instead of walking.

Thanks,

Jason
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starting on flugel instead of trumpet? Reply with quote

JayinTO wrote:

I have rented a Yamaha YFH-631G, printed off a fingering chart and have spent a week or so playing around with trying to teach myself some basics. My question is whether learning flugel first will be detrimental to learning trumpet if I decide to try that in the future.

Ideally, you don't want to be teaching yourself - as you go on to say, you're feeling like there's a lot of lost time to make up for, and the last thing you want to do in that case is to teach yourself into a bunch of bad habits that prevent you from progressing quickly...
Find a decent teacher, it will make a HUGE difference to your progress.

As to whether Flugel will hinder your ability to learn trumpet later - it shouldn't do, in and of itself (as long as you don't do it wrong)... you might make slightly quicker progress on trumpet or cornet first, or you might not - if it's flugel that really touches you, go for it (but get a teacher).

Quote:
I know I am most likely doing too much at the same time, but I just feel like I have a lot of wasted time to make up for and I'm trying to run instead of walking.

I'm pretty sure you're expecting this, but trying to run before you can walk is quite rarely a good idea... in this case, trying to do too much too soon can easily introduce bad habits (especially if not under good supervision).

At any rate, best of luck and hope you continue to enjoy it
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go have fun! You're gong to love it!

Take a few lessons from a carefully chosen player/teacher. I relearned to play trumpet by learning to play flugelhorn and I got better at both. Now, I don't play my trumpet much, because I really like the calm, luscious voice of my flugelhorn.

It's kind of like my 30 year love affair with my favorite woman. I don't have much use for the Oscar's red carpet. I prefer the quiet response I get from my wife.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice of teacher, starting with the choice to choose a teacher, is far more important than choice of horn.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see itthat the point that if you want to play in a typical band, you're going to need to play trumpet. If it's a flexible band, maybe they'll tolerate cornet in the section but, typically, trumpet and definitely not flugel.

That's not to say that you should go with your heart, but if you do, be preparedto use it more as a soloist.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a good horn. Depending on how you acquired it, it wouldn't hurt to get a pro player or good tech to make sure it's in good working order.

Hard to go wrong with a stock Yamaha mouthpiece somewhere in the 11F4 to 14F4 size range.

Taking at least one or two lessons with a good teacher stands to speed you on your way and will prevent you from ingraining bad habits which can take a lifetime to undo.

Transitioning to trumpet will take a little time but I can't imagine it'd be too hard.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can find a brass band, they carry a flugel, without any 'shame' for not being a noisy, brash trumpet.
JayinTO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. A teacher is definitely something that will be one of my next steps.

I will talk to the band director too to see about using the flugel in next year's group. I don't mind at all if I end up playing it only for my own enjoyment but would like to use it in the band next season if possible. If not, would learning both trumpet and flugel simultaneously hamper progress on one or the other?

I do have access to a trumpet but would have to get it in working order as it is my Dad's old horn and has been sitting unplayed for ages.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would discourage from trying to learn both at the same time. An embouchure in the early stages of development really benefits from consistency.

Note that some student model flugels like the Yamaha 2000-series do play more similar to a trumpet but the pro model you have does play quite differently.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayinTO wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. A teacher is definitely something that will be one of my next steps.

I will talk to the band director too to see about using the flugel in next year's group. I don't mind at all if I end up playing it only for my own enjoyment but would like to use it in the band next season if possible. If not, would learning both trumpet and flugel simultaneously hamper progress on one or the other?

I do have access to a trumpet but would have to get it in working order as it is my Dad's old horn and has been sitting unplayed for ages.

Another vote for the flügel not doing any harm to your trumpet playing, should you go down that road. As long as you spend time on both instruments and do a healthy amount of general fundamental playing, switching shouldn’t be a big deal, either.

If you want to get your trumpet in working shape, Ron Partch is as good a guy to talk to as any. There are lots of trumpet teachers in Toronto - let me know if you’re looking. Happy playing!
JayinTO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to get your trumpet in working shape, Ron Partch is as good a guy to talk to as any. There are lots of trumpet teachers in Toronto - let me know if you’re looking. Happy playing!

Thanks Steve A. I am definitely looking for any suggestions on teachers. I am in the west end but I could travel.

Thanks for the info on Ron Partch. I have checked his website and I will talk to my dad about his horn to see if he has any details and see if it is worth fixing up.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the horn you love, make the sound you want to here. You can also play very quietly on a flugel and develop that soft strength you'll need when playing on a more demanding horn.

G
#7 pipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: