• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1-1/4C Improvement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Ketchum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: 1-1/4C Improvement Reply with quote

For anyone who has played more mouthpieces than I have -

Currently playing a 26 throat 1-1/4C on my C trumpet. Love the rim and feel, looking to try something with slightly less cup volume.

What comes to mind for those who have been down this road? Mouthpiece universe is a vast, intimidating place, thanks
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Monette mouthpiece is acceptable to you soundwise, have you tried a silver model 2, or standard C2S3?
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monette C2S3 is a great mouthpiece. I would also consider a Yamaha 17B4 as a cheaper option. The B means shallower cup than a standard C cup.

A third option is a Greg Black mouthpiece - he makes great stuff and you might like a 1/4 CS. The S means a shallower C cup. The advantage of Greg's mouthpieces is that you can get interchangeable tops and bottoms, if you ever wanted to venture down the rabbit hole of trying different backbores. Good luck and post what you find!
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 1D might be just what you're looking for.
Rompson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Custom Brass 1.25CS. Nice comfy 1.25c rim, slightly more shallow. Great mouthpiece!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ACB 1.25CS which Rompson has suggested will fit the bill more closely than anything I can think of in that it'll have a very similar rim to a 1-1/4C Bach.

For the 17B4 suggestion, it will not be any shallower -- it's merely Yamaha's copy of a Mt. Vernon (or early Corp., I can't remember for sure, but trombahonker has mentioned it) Bach 1-1/4C. The B just means it's shallower than the 17C4, which is more like a 1C cup.

If you don't mind a different rim contour, there are quite a few more options off the shelf. Perhaps a Laskey 75MC or a Hammond 3MB would be good options to try, but they are more like a 1C rim scaled down to the 1-1/4C diameter. Also a Pickett 1.25CD with a OS backbore would be a good C trupmet piece. You could even get a regular 10-2 backbore for when you want to use it on Bb.

If you don't mind paying for/waiting for custom work, just call up Pickett, Jim New, or Matt Frost and say exactly what you want: A Bach 1-1/4C with less cup volume (and describe what you mean by that, i.e., shallower from bite to hole, shaped differently to reduce overall volume, etc.) and they'll make exactly what you ask for!

Good luck on your quest!
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been playing on a Curry 1.25BC for a while and then made the switch to a Monette B2S3/C2GS3 The G has more cup volume than I remember a standard 1 1/4C having but the B2S3 has been amazing. It's very efficient and I feel like I can play almost anything on it without compromising tone, range, endurance etc.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Darth Ketchum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thank you all very much for your input! Plenty of ideas, exactly what I was hoping for.
AveryCyrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a Laskey 75MD a shot!
thegflo81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the quest! Indeed this is quite a rabbit hole...
rbtrpt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth

I recently switched to a Yamaha 17B4 after many years on a Bach 1 1/4C. My experience is that the Yamahas have slightly less cup volume than the
1 1/4 I was using.

I also have found that the Yamaha mpcs are MUCH more consistent. I have several 17B4s and they feel very similar...and since they are a bit cheaper, you can get several to experiment with.

Good luck to you
Rick Bogard
Prof of Trpt
Univ of Texas/Arlington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: