• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gaps in teeth and trumpet playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizzratcliffe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Gaps in teeth and trumpet playing Reply with quote

Hi I am 14 and have three gaps in my upper set of teeth, both lateral incisiors and a first molar. I currently have braces and will get dental bridges a few months after they come off. I was wondering how is this affecting my playing currently (my articulation has always struggled) and how will getting fake teeth put in affect me in the future? I am asking this because sometimes notes come out airy and fuzzy and i was wondering if this is a result of air escaping through my gaps.

Last edited by Wizzratcliffe on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, wonky teeth or missing teeth tends not to be a massive problem - heck, you wouldn't believe the number of awesome players over here (UK) with teeth all over the place...

On a personal level, I have 2 teeth missing on my lower jaw (furthest molar forward, on both sides) and no issues with airy tone and useable range up to around double C.

If anything, it'll be major changes along this road that will cause you setbacks - your playing habits might need to change to accomodate your dental changes, and you might have to re-learn some sensations and re-build your habits in order to continue playing at the same level (and beyond).

Besides that, like any other playing issue, work with the best teacher you can afford and tackle problems as they come up - airy tone and poor articulation technique can be improved with the right kinds of practice.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you have a gap between your upper incisors?

One of the greatest - Doc has a gap between his top incisors. He once showed me his teeth up close - his top teeth are straight, his incisors are what I would call short, his bottom teeth are a bit crooked. I've long theorized the configuration of his top teeth are a factor in his phenomenal playing.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore your teeth. I've seen folks with great teeth that couldn't play worth a darn and folks with teeth like a bad picket fence that were unbelievable players. I have a slight overbite, uneven choppers top and bottom. I do fine. So will you.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NevadaBigHorn wrote:
Ignore your teeth. I've seen folks with great teeth that couldn't play worth a darn and folks with teeth like a bad picket fence that were unbelievable players. I have a slight overbite, uneven choppers top and bottom. I do fine. So will you.

With all due respect, your situation is not the same thing as the OP describes, he is talking about changes to his dental structure. I’m sure he can absolutely overcome it with practice and hopefully good instruction, but “Ignore your teeth.....” might not be possible. No, he should not obsess about it, but he may (or may not) need to address it.

I also have an overbite, and far from perfectly aligned teeth, but I’ve always had this, I didn’t have changes happen after being a beginner.

To the OP: you most likely can overcome it, in fact, it might not be a major adjustment, you won’t really know until you get the bridges.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaps in teeth and trumpet playing Reply with quote

Wizzratcliffe wrote:
Hi I am 14 and have three gaps in my upper set of teeth, both lateral incisiors and a first molar. I currently have braces and will get dental bridges a few months after they come off. I was wondering how is this affecting my playing currently (my articulation has always struggled) and how will getting fake teeth put in affect me in the future? I am asking this because sometimes notes come out airy and fuzzy and i was wondering if this is a result of air escaping through my gaps.

Any change in your teeth will likely require some adjustment. But I've been told that bridges specifically have the potential to complicate playing the trumpet. The risk is great enough that my teacher told me to avoid them altogether and if need be, bite the bullet and get implants.

At a minimum, I'd advise you to find an orthodontist who has a good track record with brass players.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: