• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban's for beginners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raazait

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Arban's for beginners? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am a classically trained pianist, and have been playing for over 10 years. Recently, I've picked up the trumpet, and would like to use it to help explore other styles, namely jazz. I've heard a lot about the Arban's book, and how it affected many horn players internationally. I was wondering if purchasing Arban's would be appropriate for my beginner skill level, and the style I'd like to learn. Thanks.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arban's book is comprehensive in that it starts from beginner and goes to advanced rather quickly. I have used it along with other books such as Clarke's Tech. Studies, Colin Lip Flexibilities, Irons, etc. over the years, along with my students.

The best thing to do is take a few trumpet lessons with someone who can steer you in the right direction for what you want to accomplish.

Pete
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban's may help you master the technical skills needed to play the trumpet, which might help you play jazz if you are familiar with theory through the piano.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arban method advances pretty quickly and doesn't really spend a lot of time on ridumentary exercises. It's not really a good method (in my opinion) for self teaching. Arban was Professor of Cornet at the Paris Conservatory, and his method reflects that.

The Rubank series is pretty good. It moves forward at a decent rate and is on a good gradient so the student can get a sense of accomplishment moving through the exercises. After I made it through the Beginning and Intermediate books, I went to the Arban-Prescott book, which is selected exercises from Arban and not a massive discouraging tome.

I've also read praise of the Mitchell books, though I've not yet had an opportunity to look at them.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Arban's great to have in the library as a comprehensive resource.

I like the Walter Beeler Book 1, and pair it with Getchell Book 1 as the student gains a little ability

Rubank's the old war horse, but effective as well.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to take a look at it for free there are PDFs on the internet. Just do a search.

Regardind books, Hickman has a book for beginners and comeback players that is paced very nicely. Also is a good series by Papa Mitchell.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice here.

The Arban Method may be a standard. But it's not all-encompassing. For example, as already stated, it has little information for beginners, both in the form of exercises and written direction.

Rubank, is what I used back in the day. I still use it today, as review material. There are many other good methods, too.

As someone also suggested, there are versions of The Arban Method in the public domain, and free to download. Here's one link to it, in case you want to determine for yourself if it's the book for you.

https://www.trumpetstudio.com/arban.html

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Raazait,

The Arban method is a great book, but it's too difficult for beginners. The other books mentioned in this thread (Hickman, Mitchell, Beeler, Getchell, Rubank, etc.) would be much better choices. You should definitely work out of the Arban method at some point, but not first thing.
Piccolo Stomvi
jerryv914

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Arban/St Jacomes

https://www.jwpepper.com/Modern-Arban-Saint-Jacome-Meth-Tpt/729459.item#/submit

My First Arban

https://www.amazon.com/O5504-Trumpet-Introduction-Arbans-Conservatory/dp/0825841909

Both adaptations of Arban for the beginner.. much more accessible at first than the actual Arban. Excellent and highly recommended.
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the arban is much good for a complete beginner as most people blowing their first notes will struggle to hit a C in the staff never mind the 4th space Es that are on the first exercises in the arban book.

I'm in a similar position to you i just started before christmas with an interest in playing jazz (though i did play a bit when i was 10-12). I done a few beginner lessons/etudes from jeff lewis trumpet and then started on the arbans but as i say it was too high at the time, then someone put me onto the hickmans 100 progressive lessons book which imo advances at a really steady pace, i got through the first 3/4 in about a week and then have been getting through about 1 a week since.

I also got a copy of the abrsm jazz trumpet grade 1 books, the heads are all easy enough but my improv sucks. I know what i want to say in my head but the vocabulary just isnt there yet. I just last week got the willie thomas jazz anyone? book Bb book 1 and im on his jazz everyone site which is really cool, though again lesson 1 has you playing G above the staff which you might struggle with though i guess you play an octave down just to work on the phrasing and articulations..

This is one beginner to another so take my advice for what it is and good luck!
Raazait

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordynbaxter wrote:
I don't think the arban is much good for a complete beginner as most people blowing their first notes will struggle to hit a C in the staff never mind the 4th space Es that are on the first exercises in the arban book.

I'm in a similar position to you i just started before christmas with an interest in playing jazz (though i did play a bit when i was 10-12). I done a few beginner lessons/etudes from jeff lewis trumpet and then started on the arbans but as i say it was too high at the time, then someone put me onto the hickmans 100 progressive lessons book which imo advances at a really steady pace, i got through the first 3/4 in about a week and then have been getting through about 1 a week since.

I also got a copy of the abrsm jazz trumpet grade 1 books, the heads are all easy enough but my improv sucks. I know what i want to say in my head but the vocabulary just isnt there yet. I just last week got the willie thomas jazz anyone? book Bb book 1 and im on his jazz everyone site which is really cool, though again lesson 1 has you playing G above the staff which you might struggle with though i guess you play an octave down just to work on the phrasing and articulations..

I'm a little past that level. I am able to hit the lower G with solid tone, and can reach up to a high C (two above the staff), and sometimes a D when i'm really feeling it. I can get through the range of those notes quite comfortably, just struggling to smoothly transition embouchure and mouthpiece placement through the ranges.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our own Eric Bolvin has a great aide to Arbans:

The Arban Manual https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raazait wrote:
Jordynbaxter wrote:

I'm a little past that level. I am able to hit the lower G with solid tone, and can reach up to a high C (two above the staff), and sometimes a D when i'm really feeling it. I can get through the range of those notes quite comfortably, just struggling to smoothly transition embouchure and mouthpiece placement through the ranges.

Ah apologis then just when you said beginner i assumed youd just picked the horn up. I also got the lowel little book embouchure builder which is helping.
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For adult beginners who want to move along quickly, I use the Walter Beeler Book 1&2. It hits all the fundamentals in a methodical order and is laid out well. Each lesson has lip slurs, technical studies, some range, some rhythm work, a duet, and usually a transcription or original etude. It is like Rubank but with way better flow. Arban's is fantastic of course but does not have any bridge from beginner to advanced intermediate. To give a simplified crude example of what I mean,it goes from basically 4th grade to 7-9th grade level and ignores 5th & 6th Graders.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious.

Why don't you explore Jazz and other styles through the piano?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
The Arban method advances pretty quickly and doesn't really spend a lot of time on ridumentary exercises. It's not really a good method (in my opinion) for self teaching. Arban was Professor of Cornet at the Paris Conservatory, and his method reflects that.

The Rubank series is pretty good. It moves forward at a decent rate and is on a good gradient so the student can get a sense of accomplishment moving through the exercises. After I made it through the Beginning and Intermediate books, I went to the Arban-Prescott book, which is selected exercises from Arban and not a massive discouraging tome.

I've also read praise of the Mitchell books, though I've not yet had an opportunity to look at them.

On the other hand, I'm a self-taught player (50+ years) and my bible has always been the Arban book. It has EVERYTHING you need to practice to develop trumpet technique. There are other methods and books available that are good too, I'm just saying that the Arban is a good solid place to start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: