• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcordle56

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Olds Ambassador trumpet Reply with quote

99% of the time I'm playing cornet or flugelhorn, but every so often it's nice to have a trumpet. I found a deal on a 1962 Olds (Fullerton) Ambassador last week and picked it up. The horn has very few miles on it, as evidenced by the significant pop each valve slide makes as it comes out of the horn. After cleaning, I dropped in the standard Old#3 mouthpiece and got a very pleasant surprise. This is one of the easiest playing, most responsive horns I have ever played - not that I expected to fight it, but I did not expect an experience this easy. I have recommended these horns for years to beginners, based on their durability and general quality in the student market, but I'd have bought one sooner if I had ever experienced this before. Now maybe I can get my hands on an Ambassador cornet.

1961 Conn Connstellation Cornet
1987 Conn 34A Cornet
1905 Lyon Healy Own Make Cornet
Bundy 183 Flugelhorn
1974 Selmer Radial Trumpet
1979 Conn 16E Mellophonium
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother got one in 1966 when he started 5th grade band, and played it all through high school; when he graduated and quit playing, I put my cornet in the case and used his trumpet for the next three years until I graduated. When I bought my first pro horn prior to starting college, I returned the Olds to my brother. He had some work done on it (dent removal, replaced broken valve guide) and later his son played it for a short time in elementary school. It then sat in his closet for a few years until his grandchildren found it and damaged it beyond repair while fighting over it. All I can think is those kids must have really been rough with it, because the Ambassador was the Sherman tank of trumpets and my brother's horn had survived years of abuse between the two of us. It had a beautiful sound and was superior to any other student trumpet back in the day.

I may get another one someday, if only for nostalgia's sake.

FYI, I owned a late 1950's vintage Ambassador cornet for a short time in college. Made some minor repairs and sold it at a nice profit, but would have kept it if I hadn't been a starving student. If you can find one, it will be a nice addition to your collection--the one I had really sounded like a cornet should sound and was very nimble--I could play H.L. Clarke's "Bride of the Waves" on it way better than I ever could on my trumpet.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ‘62-ish Ambassador from someone here, and was so impressed with it I bought a ‘65 Recording.

GREAT horns, excellent build quality, the Recording has a very resonant sound, with the characteristic of having secure slotting without feeling rigid or stiff. It locks in, but is still flexible.

Brad
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man still has his, and it still plays awesome.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm playing my LA Ambassador right now!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

How do you type and play at the same time?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
homebilly wrote:

How do you type and play at the same time?

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like i watch TV and practice at the same time

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is something that I copied over from Facebook where Chris of SVT vintage trumpets gives interesting details about the different era's of the Olds Ambassador. Some interesting stuff!

Chris Smith Steve Bingner the Olds Ambassador that we use to build the SVT2's (One of the SVT2 Models) are pre 1957 Horns, with the majority of the horns being pre 1955. The Olds Ambassador in the time period was a Pro horn. The Olds horns made in the Los Angeles plant were all made from the same brass, to the same specs and tolerances and where built by the same craftsmen their Pro models. The only differences were the bracing and some of the trim, eng etc. There was a lot of raw material saved from the plant after the fire which is why the early Fullerton horns play the way they do, The Ambassador of the late 50's and beyond was still a great Student horn for sure, but were significantly different horns. It is the LA horn that many of the Pro's use and are aware of, and that reason is what I explained, the Olds LA Ambassador was a Professional Trumpet. Jordan's horn has some significant changes from what it was originally. With that said it is still 100% an LA Olds, As the materials used in some of the modification was from the horn itself and another Olds Ambassador. To this day I believe the Olds Ambassador is the #1 selling Student horn in history.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Adams wrote:
Below is something that I copied over from Facebook where Chris of SVT vintage trumpets gives interesting details about the different era's of the Olds Ambassador. Some interesting stuff!

Chris Smith Steve Bingner the Olds Ambassador that we use to build the SVT2's (One of the SVT2 Models) are pre 1957 Horns, with the majority of the horns being pre 1955. The Olds Ambassador in the time period was a Pro horn. The Olds horns made in the Los Angeles plant were all made from the same brass, to the same specs and tolerances and where built by the same craftsmen their Pro models. The only differences were the bracing and some of the trim, eng etc. There was a lot of raw material saved from the plant after the fire which is why the early Fullerton horns play the way they do, The Ambassador of the late 50's and beyond was still a great Student horn for sure, but were significantly different horns. It is the LA horn that many of the Pro's use and are aware of, and that reason is what I explained, the Olds LA Ambassador was a Professional Trumpet. Jordan's horn has some significant changes from what it was originally. With that said it is still 100% an LA Olds, As the materials used in some of the modification was from the horn itself and another Olds Ambassador. To this day I believe the Olds Ambassador is the #1 selling Student horn in history.

I would like to see some sources for all this from someone who doesn't make money selling student instruments for way more than they are worth.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
Lee Adams wrote:

I would like to see some sources for all this from someone who doesn't make money selling student instruments for way more than they are worth.

Wow.

If you’re really interested in Olds history, you might find this interesting. http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

If you’re just interested in taking shots at someone, I guess you might not. I’ve seen Chris Smith’s stuff, personally I won’t declare his horns to be priced at “way more than they are worth” for two reasons: I haven’t played one, and “worth” is subjective.

Brad
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best trumpets I've ever played or owned is a 1949 Olds Ambassador trumpet, one of the best Dixieland cornets I've ever owned (and sold, for an obscene profit) was a 1953 Olds Special.

Olds, back then, was a phenomenal manufacturer of brasswinds, were giving away some very well built horns to develop a reputation.

I sold a 1963 Mendez for 1100 dollars, that was no better than my 1949 Mardis Gras second line Ambassador that I will never sell, just rips it for that sound.

Someday I will pay big money, to have it professionally toned to the present Krylon purple, green, and gold spray paint job I have done to it, at the cost of less than 20 bucks, but not yet. It is incredibly bright in tone, just rips it for a second line horn, and have been recorded on YouTube by several sources.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
One of the best trumpets I've ever played or owned is a 1949 Olds Ambassador trumpet, one of the best Dixieland cornets I've ever owned (and sold, for an obscene profit) was a 1953 Olds Special.

Olds, back then, was a phenomenal manufacturer of brasswinds, were giving away some very well built horns to develop a reputation.

I sold a 1963 Mendez for 1100 dollars, that was no better than my 1949 Mardis Gras second line Ambassador that I will never sell, just rips it for that sound.

Someday I will pay big money, to have it professionally toned to the present Krylon purple, green, and gold spray paint job I have done to it, at the cost of less than 20 bucks, but not yet. It is incredibly bright in tone, just rips it for a second line horn, and have been recorded on YouTube by several sources.

I’m a recent Olds fan, bought a great playing ‘61 Ambassador trumpet here (marketplace) in very good condition for 200.00. So impressive that I picked up a ‘65 Recording, that horn has seen a majority of my gigs lately. Both of these are Fullertons, I understand some people say the LA horns can be even better.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: