• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornets with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Cornets with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver Reply with quote

Are there any Cornets that were made with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver?

Not looking for a brass band sound, or even a typical cornet sound, just hoping using a trumpet mouthpiece would still give the flexibility and response that a cornet provides.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornets with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:

I bought a cornet that had a trumpet mouthpiece receiver.

The very, very first thing I did with it is to have the original receiver restored.

But if you insist, any competent tech can swap out the receiver.

Gary.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Custom Brass has cornets with trumpet receivers from time to time.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By doing this you're basically going to have an open wrapped pocket trumpet with a conical leappipe. BLECH.

I think you'll loose the properties you seek from a cornet.. what's the problem with getting a cornet mouthpiece? Part of the function is the bore size of the cornets leadpipe and the shortness of the shank/flare of the mouthpiece - I beleive this has a lot to do with the response and flexibility.

Don't you think that if it worked well, there'd be a bunch of them available?
Retired Air Force Bandsman
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
By doing this you're basically going to have an open wrapped pocket trumpet with a conical leappipe. BLECH.

I think you'll loose the properties you seek from a cornet.. what's the problem with getting a cornet mouthpiece? Part of the function is the bore size of the cornets leadpipe and the shortness of the shank/flare of the mouthpiece - I beleive this has a lot to do with the response and flexibility.

Don't you think that if it worked well, there'd be a bunch of them available?

The question was about replacing the receiver, not the leadpipe.

To the OP, just get a Bach long cornet and use a mouthpiece that gives you the sound you want. There would be no advantage to using a trumpet mouthpiece. I use a Bach 3C on mine but there are plenty to choose from. No need to reinvent anything here.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Puje is probably as close as you will get. http://www.pujetrumpet.com/
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question literally...

The only one that comes to mind as being designed with a trumpet receiver is Yamaha's C cornet.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Schwartz played his semi-famous cornet solos recordings on a Bach cornet with a trumpet mp receiver. And he sounded pretty good. Well then again, he would sound great playing a garden hose.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Schulz is about as good a trad jazz cornetist as you'll find anywhere, and he plays a 1930's "The Olds" with a trumpet receiver and mouthpiece. But the work was done professionally, and so that he could continue using a long-time favorite mouthpiece. As others have noted, it's something that can be done to a cornet if you have a valid reason for doing it.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be obvious: Use both cornet and trumpet screw backbores (almost all of the current mouthpiece makers have a large catalog of them) with your favorite top(s). Simple to do and keeps your mouthpiece inventory under control!...sorta...
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

The Puje idea is probably what I'm thinking.

I've owned plenty of Cornets over the years but as much as I like the response and flexibility the horn gives, I always play it like a trumpet.

Not looking for a Cornet sound, and I know I can use a Warburton cornet shank with a trumpet top, but I'm playing on a 'Marc' Ingram and sometimes Shew, and would need one adapted/threaded as no-one makes this in a cornet piece I don't believe.

Was just interested to know if there was already a Cornet with a trumpet receiver, as I've read there have been several players who have successfully used this set-up too.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Wild Thing short cornet that was custom ordered with a trumpet receiver. It's a very versatile instrument. I used it a lot a few years back when I was working at one of the parks. When I had a very demanding set schedule I used a shallower trumpet mouthpiece -- a Reeves -- and it worked great. If I use a 3c it sounds like a typical cornet, and with a deeper mouthpiece it has the characteristic broad, dark Wild Thing sound. I play trad jazz, so the look of a short cornet was appreciated by the music director. I do think the trumpet mouthpiece improved the slotting and it was certainly easier to find the mouthpieces I liked with a trumpet shank.

I don't play much cornet any more, but I have to say I appreciated the versatility that that setup allowed.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much less expensive to get a trumpety cornet mouthpiece, like a Bach 3C, which has the same cup, throat and backbore as the trumpet version, than to change receivers. And a used one is even cheaper than that!
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornets with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:

Not looking for a brass band sound, or even a typical cornet sound, just hoping using a trumpet mouthpiece would still give the flexibility and response that a cornet provides.

About 25 years ago I got a shepherds crook cornet made by Kanstul. "464" is stamped on the receiver. It might have been a prototype of some sort. When I brought it to the factory in Anaheim for a bell repair, Zig said he remembered making it. It's been a favorite horn of mine and very useful. For me the convenience of using whatever trumpet mouthpiece I'm on outweighs the fact it's not really a pure cornet. I actually have another cornet for that.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - I knew it could be done and surprised it's not a commercially available horn, (besides a PUJE) as the results would be way better than a pocket trumpet.

Getting mouthpieces in the Marc Shew series is incredibly expensive for us here in OZ. NO-ONE sells them and equates to around $130AUD+ to get one imported. (Which I have done MANY times.)

I'm going to get a trumpet receiver put on a long model cornet (an old OLDS or Director) and this will cost around $130 to do - way cheaper.

The whole thing will cost a few hundred...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: