• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Galileo Dolce Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Okay, I think I may be honing in on the likely scenario... I'm thinking these may be Chinese horns and it may follow the sort of "drop-ship" business model that you see across Facebook a lot now. It's possible that it has the large lead time in shipping because it may be drop-shipped straight from China. I have a friend that has a drop-ship Shopify business and they have similar turnaround times and they buy goods through Alibaba and AliExpress...

Case in point... https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/high-quality-GTR-1880-trumpet-with_60544447967.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.45.1fc91efd44uQwJ

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/GTR-880-trumpet-with-high-quality_60544351978.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.433.1fc91efd44uQwJ

Not that it's a knock against them or anything, but I think that may explain some of the confusing aspects of their horns, where they get them, the lack of specs, etc…

Right. I’m personally convinced that China is the origin of these horns. I found similar results when going through alibaba.com. I will say that some of the horns I picked up to experiment with actually played surprisingly well, but I can also tell a difference (some only slight) between them and the high-end horns I’ve played. For some of them, it may only involve having a valve alignment done and you have an inexpensive version of a horn you could use on a job, especially if it’s a doubler’s horn, like piccolo, flugelhorn, or cornet, that you don’t use much. I was swabbing out one of the piccolos recently, and some metal fragments dislodged! Ha! However, two other identical piccolos from other Chinese manufacturers both actually play very well. One I bought off of eBay and the other via alibaba.com. If they are warning up front about the “brush gold,” it still may not be much different than the results notable silver plating companies can offer.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I see Howard Engstrom's name as an "artist."

...I just sent an email to Howard Engstrom, asking if he could offer a comment that I could post here. His bio and contact info are actually on the link from the artists list.

I got this response from Howard Engstrom tonight:

"Like many (I suspect) I first noticed GalileoDolce trumpets on FB. You notice immediately the unusual configuration of not just an ovate main tuning slide, not all that unusual, but also an ovate bell turn, which I have never seen before. My curiosity turned to serious inquiry and resulted in my now being the owner of a GalileoDolce Bb and C trumpet. The "double ovate" configuration creates a very free and smooth flow of air and the best intonation I've ever encountered. The build quality is very good and the delivery of an instrument is very prompt, usually about 3 weeks via courier. For the price, approximately $985 USD, these trumpets are unbeatable. Were I still in the Philharmonic (I retired 18 months ago), these would be the trumpets I'd be taking to work."

Howard played Principal Trumpet in the Calgary Philharmonic for 44 years.

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/music/cpos-howard-engstrom-says-goodbye-after-more-than-four-decades-with-the-orchestra
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
dstpt wrote:
I see Howard Engstrom's name as an "artist."

...I just sent an email to Howard Engstrom, asking if he could offer a comment that I could post here. His bio and contact info are actually on the link from the artists list.

I got this response from Howard Engstrom tonight:

"Like many (I suspect) I first noticed GalileoDolce trumpets on FB. You notice immediately the unusual configuration of not just an ovate main tuning slide, not all that unusual, but also an ovate bell turn, which I have never seen before. My curiosity turned to serious inquiry and resulted in my now being the owner of a GalileoDolce Bb and C trumpet. The "double ovate" configuration creates a very free and smooth flow of air and the best intonation I've ever encountered. The build quality is very good and the delivery of an instrument is very prompt, usually about 3 weeks via courier. For the price, approximately $985 USD, these trumpets are unbeatable. Were I still in the Philharmonic (I retired 18 months ago), these would be the trumpets I'd be taking to work."

Howard played Principal Trumpet in the Calgary Philharmonic for 44 years.

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/music/cpos-howard-engstrom-says-goodbye-after-more-than-four-decades-with-the-orchestra

He just added this to a follow-up email:

"They are indeed made in China. The designer and CEO is Tamir Akta who is a professional player/teacher in Raana Israel. The build quality is at least the equivalent of the Yamaha intermediate line. And for the money ..."
playthattrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Galileo Dolce Trumpets Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Anybody know anything about them or has played them? I've seen their videos come up on the Facebook trumpet BST pages, and looking at their website their horns seem pretty cheap (less than $1k). Their website is pretty thin on details, specs, where they're made, etc. What's the deal here? I mean, are they just cheap Chinese or Indian imports? Not finding any threads on TH about them.

https://www.galileodolce.com/trumpets.html

Ok so I purchased one of the earliest models they made of this trumpet, specifically the ones you linked here. Short answer, yes they are made in china. Mine came in a cheap crappy case (however they have upgraded them from what I've scene recently) and feels like its made out of cheap material when you hold it. However once you play it, it is a completely different story. It doesn't play like a Chinese made instrument (and believe me I've played several). It sounds beautiful, there is no struggle to play notes in tune right on the attack, the valve action is incredible, and there is little to no resistance in air flow. No, it doesn't play as well as my yamaha xeno, but it holds its own up against any intermediate trumpet while looking like a professional one. So no this instrument is not a scam. I paid some $800 for the trumpet to be my new marching instrument and I do not regret the decision. From what I can tell the quality has gone up but so is the price. If they change to a higher quality material, I'd say it would be an amazing bargain. Hope this helped.
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1716814521767117

It's not from Romania its completely assembled in Poland by hand. Parts are sent to poland from the orient probably made by Carol and assembled in Poland. I ordered one with the option to return if I don't like it. 2 weeks allowed before returning $1500 which is about the price of a used trumpet these days. shipping is not refunded but so what. I want to try. I ordered the Da Vinci jazz model from their website. Lets call it investigation . Also they are not Galileo they are Galileo Dolce which is a different company all together. The price was very reasonable so we will see if its up to snuff or not. If not it goes back to Poland.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: