• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece recommendations In the 1 1/2C range

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece recommendations In the 1 1/2C range Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Over the last few months, I’ve come to like the Bach 1 1/2C size, and was looking for recommendations in the 1 1/2C range. I’m looking for a mouthpiece that has a slightly quicker response. I do mostly symphonic and solo work up at school to give an idea of what I do.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece recommendations In the 1 1/2C range Reply with quote

danny45635 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Over the last few months, I’ve come to like the Bach 1 1/2C size, and was looking for recommendations in the 1 1/2C range. I’m looking for a mouthpiece that has a slightly quicker response. I do mostly symphonic and solo work up at school to give an idea of what I do.

Monette Resonance Prana B6DS1.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except a Monette 3 rim is closer in size, having tried both and come from a Bach 1 1/2 size. A Monette B3S3 will do just fine.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I’ll look into those! A Monette with a 6 rim is closer to a 3C rim I thought?
YBChen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 16C4
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used 1.5c sized pieces for quite a while, a couple really stuck and some didn't.

- Patrick 1.5c - Mt Vernon copy, very, very similar rim/cup feel to an actual Mt Vernon I had at the time... The very best I played in that size.

- Schilke 16C4 - copy of Tom Stevens Mt Vernon 1.5c, great piece and well worth a try.

- Curry 1.5C - slightly broader and rounder rim feel, but one I liked a lot, in the end my results were simply better on the Patrick, but I liked this one a lot too.

- Curry 3B. - yes it's a 3c copy (with a deeper cup) not a 1.5c copy, but size wise there's very little difference, it's the shape that's different... Again, liked it a lot but in the end the rim is almost too comfortable and I simply got better results with other pieces.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Except a Monette 3 rim is closer in size, having tried both and come from a Bach 1 1/2 size. A Monette B3S3 will do just fine.

Thanks Andy, forgot to add that. B6 is a 3Cish..but the “D” is a deep cup that makes it sound/play like a 1 1/2C without the bigger rim.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny45635 wrote:
Thank you I’ll look into those! A Monette with a 6 rim is closer to a 3C rim I thought?

Yep. But the “D” makes it magical with a deep 1 1/2C like cup. Add on the Prana, larger throat, you are good to go.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
danny45635 wrote:

Yep. But the “D” makes it magical with a deep 1 1/2C like cup. Add on the Prana, larger throat, you are good to go.

Thank you! I’ll give it a try!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on Long Island, why not take a train in to NYC to try mouthpieces at Josh Landress? He's got a bunch of different brands in a variety of sizes.

If you want to make a longer trek you could also go to Dillon's in NJ as they also stock a pretty wide selection.

Blind buying sometimes works, often doesn't. Good luck in the search!
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny, let me get this straight--you like the playing qualities of the 1 1/2C, but want a mouthpiece with a quicker response...mainly for Symphonic and solo work.
The 1 1/2C is by far the biggest selling Bach mouthpiece in Europe--I don't think it would be if it had an innate response flaw. I don't think great players like Michael Sachs would feel that way about his 1 1/2C either.
A suggestion--why don't you try a few with a slightly bigger throat size--Josh Landress can do this for you--say a 25 as opposed to the standard 27, as see if that makes the difference you're looking for. Otherwise, my friend, you are in for a long, frustrating and expensive mouthpiece safari and turkeyshoot. I could make other good recommendations to you if you like--but shoot me a private message. There is still a big reason many leading players play on Bach or at least Bach based designs.
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you’re specifically asking about a mpc in the 1½C range that is quicker than the Bach, look at the Curry 600. Curry now makes a “C” cup in that series.

And even quicker is the Giddings&Webster Helios 1.5M(edium). I’ve played only the M cup (which I’ve been using for about three weeks) but it might be that their Medium Deep cup would give you the sound that you want. In addition to the difference in quickness of response, a Bach C cup sounds flabby in comparison to the Giddings which sounds/feels rich but sparkly and intense at the same time.

-Denny
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Daniel - stick with something you're familiar with and start by making small adjustments. A mouthpiece safari is time consuming and expensive. Opening up the throat is a good start.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan in Sydney wrote:
Danny, let me get this straight--you like the playing qualities of the 1 1/2C, but want a mouthpiece with a quicker response...mainly for Symphonic and solo work.
The 1 1/2C is by far the biggest selling Bach mouthpiece in Europe--I don't think it would be if it had an innate response flaw. I don't think great players like Michael Sachs would feel that way about his 1 1/2C either.
A suggestion--why don't you try a few with a slightly bigger throat size--Josh Landress can do this for you--say a 25 as opposed to the standard 27, as see if that makes the difference you're looking for. Otherwise, my friend, you are in for a long, frustrating and expensive mouthpiece safari and turkeyshoot. I could make other good recommendations to you if you like--but shoot me a private message. There is still a big reason many leading players play on Bach or at least Bach based designs.

I agree with Dan; get a 1-1/2C opened to a 25 throat and go from there. You also might like the Bach Artisan 1-1/2C
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps open the throat on the 1.5C. I might also suggest to work on achieving very soft and quick response with your daily practice. Try Clarke study 2, just the lower register ones (lines 27 - 32). Play them very softly, slurred AND tongued (lightly). It will only take a couple minutes of your time per day to gain an improvement. These old etudes are like a magic elixir oftentimes.
Mike20275

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: 1 1/2 C mpc Reply with quote

Try the Parke 640-275-24 for C trumpet and maybe their 640-275-26 for Bb. You can contact Dianne Parke at 760-285-2414
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquiring about the possibility of the enhancement of a specific quality of a certain mpc does not impugn the overall quality or acceptability of that piece, or directly imply that the mouthpiece has an, “innate response flaw.” The OP seems to want to see what a Bach 1½ C would be like if it had a quicker response.

Since the OP is doing symphonic and solo work, “up at school,” it’s almost certain that he should be playing on a throat larger than the stock #27, so all of the advice that has been given in that area is solid.

If the OP had asked about what could be done to generally improve a Bach 1½ C, the obvious first consideration would be to start opening up the throat, but, he is asking about finding a piece – in the 1½ C range – that has, “a slightly quicker response.”

I’ve played on non-stock, “opened” throats since 1967 and have opened up a lot of tpt mpc throats – on my own and in consultation with the maker or others since then – and the result has never been to make a piece “quicker” in the way that the OP probably means.

-Denny
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important to remember that it is a complete system you are dealing with. In simple terms; Face, Mouthpiece, Horn. The mouthpiece does not work in isolation. What is the leadpipe venturi? This can have a huge effect on response as can the mouthpiece/receiver gap. Mouthpiece alpha angles can also effect response.

I don't know that the OP mentioned if he was using a Bb or C but opening the throat might not be the best idea for a Bb. Micheal Sachs sounds fine on his stock 27 throat on his Bb although he uses quite a large throat on his C. Working with the throat entrance without actually changing the size can also greatly effect things. The GR Charles Lazarus model has a more open entrance but is still a 27 and Chuck also sounds pretty good on Bb and C. BTW-that piece (Lazarus 67) is also right around a 1.5C. The GR cup models in C*, C**, and C are all progressively more open but still maintain a 27 throat and the same depth.

I am not trying to simply push the GR line as there are several excellent makers like Parke, Curry, Stomvi, Warburton and others but just encouraging you to be aware that elements other than throat size will also come into play.
bdtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to make a Bach 1 1/2C work for many years. I couldn't get the response I wanted either. Eventually I figured out that the Alpha angle was wrong for me. When I went to a 1C , it fit me much better because the Alpha angle is steeper into the cup which allowed more lip intrusion. To me, the biggest difference between the 1C and 1 1/2C is that alpha angle.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1 1/2 C mpc Reply with quote

[quote="Mike20275"]Try the Parke 640-275-24 for C trumpet and maybe their 640-275-26 for Bb. You can contact Dianne Parke at 760-285-2414[/quote]

Try to find them used because ordering new involves A LOT of wait time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: