• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 5TF or 5TC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptplus22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Curry 5TF or 5TC Reply with quote

I'm looking into getting a Curry 5TF or a 5TC mouthpiece to use on my Bach 37 when I want to get a flugelhorn sound instead of bringing my flugelhorn on the jobs. Has anyone played either of these mouthpieces?

If so which one did you light better and why.

Thank you in advance.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and sometimes play a 3TF and a 5TC. Also played in the past a 3TC. I prefer the TC cup, is mellow, sweet but more versatile. You can play a TC cup as an allround piece, if you push a little it adds some brilliance, but the TF imho is limited to a certain sound palette (slow ballads etc). You'll end using the TF 1 or 2 times and the TC much more not only for that flugel-alike sound.
Of course if you need a specific flugel sound for 1 piece with no flugelhorn in the gigbag, the TF may be a wiser choice.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the post of Locutus2k above 100%.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrarian remark coming. Get a double case and bring the flugelhorn always. Nothing else sounds like a flugelhorn. I think the Curry TF is great and love the sound. Does it sound like a flugel? No. I did a project some time back using a Conn 80A cornet. I had a copper large bell put on. I had Mark Curry take a deep flugel mouthpiece and put a Conn cornet shank on it. My goal was to get a flugel sound with more agility. Did I get it? No. Sounds like a mellow cornet. Just play your flugelhorn and enjoy.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Curry 5TF. I agree with the above poster that it's a nice mouthpiece but doesn't sound or make the horn respond like a flugal. At the end of the day it must be stoically accepted that if one wants a flugal sound then one must bring a flugal. Sometimes I even bring just the flugal so as to avoid schlepping two horns around but that isn't usually an option.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your gig. If you're with a pro jazz orchestra and the section needs to be on flugel for tunes, I would follow Richard's advice. If it's something like jazz combo gigs, or something where your sound is more up to you and you won't have a director harping at you for not playing on flugel - you could probably use a TF and be fine. It is the more mellow one between the two pieces, and it doesn't sound like you need the piece to be "versatile" since you're using it for this one purpose. No, it won't sound exactly like a flugel, but it will fall somewhere between trumpet and flugel, which may be enough for your needs.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get you one of the Reeves FT adapters. Works about as well and you can use your regular flugel piece on your trumpet. Plus, it takes up a lot less space in the case than another mouthpiece, if that is a factor here.

It seems to be easier to make a flugelhorn sound more like a trumpet than vice versa. My Yamaha flugel will accept a trumpet mouthpiece and tune reasonably if you push the mouthpiece bit in more than usual. I usually use a short shank cornet mouthpiece with a cornet to trumpet adapter for this. This setup seems to have fewer intonation issues than using a regular trumpet shank mouthpiece. For an upcoming concert, I am thinking about using my flugel to play trumpet parts to keep from having to haul 2 or more horns to rehearsal all the time!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
I had a Curry 5TF. I agree with the above poster that it's a nice mouthpiece but doesn't sound or make the horn respond like a flugal. At the end of the day it must be stoically accepted that if one wants a flugal sound then one must bring a flugal. Sometimes I even bring just the flugal so as to avoid schlepping two horns around but that isn't usually an option.

I love playing flugelhorn. I brought my flugel to my trad. jazz group one day and only played that. I recorded one of the tunes to see what it sounded like. Definitely a different sound. I have a baritone horn player doing the trombone part and we sounded so mellow and consistent with each other that I thought it would work. We then did a gig that way. Unfortunately in a noisy environment we were lost in the mix even with microphones on us both. I think there's an idea there that could work. Maybe we'll try it again.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: