• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn for both Jazz and Orchestra

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
A good Bach 43 should work out well.

Played on a Bach 43 by Warren Leuning (RIP):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRttksjGho
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say 90% of all the guys I worked with in Europe when I was with West Side Story played Bach 43s for their orchestral commitments. Gary Grant sounds great playing studio stuff.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to own only one horn my suggestion has always been that it should be a Bach 37. Second choice would be a Bach 43. Third choice.....not worth considering. It's that simple.
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn for both Jazz and Orchestra Reply with quote

aidanolesen wrote:
I've read a few forums and seen a few videos that say to avoid Bachs for jazz

Link

Scooter plays on a Bach 37. If my info is correct, it was this video that ended up landing him a job offer from Maynard himself (where he continued to play a Bach 37)

In short, Bach does just fine for jazz
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums can be fun, but keep in mind you usually have no idea what a particular poster's experience level or playing ability are.

Avoid Bachs for jazz? Probably some high school wannabe who can't play.

Look at what instruments the pros are playing day in and day out to earn their living. A much better recommendation IMHO.

Steve
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of respondents have mentioned the Bach 37 (18037/19037) and the 43 (18043/19043). I have both, and think that they are a great place to start your search.

Having said that, it seems to me that you are looking for is essentially a good all-around horn. I've played trumpets made by Adams, Bach, Benge, Burbank, Edwards, Getzen, Harrelson, Holton, Kanstul, Larson, Lawler, Powell, Schilke, Shires, Sonare, Stomvi, Van Laar and Yamaha...probably others I am forgetting...that would fit that description (for me).

Try lots of horns and see what works best for you. Visit your local music store(s) and see what they have. Try friends'/teachers' horns. Tavel to one of the big music stores like Austin Custom Brass, Dillon Music, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, Thompson Music to try out what they have. Attend ITG, NTC, NAMM or one of the other big shows/conventions and try horns there.

Good luck!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that many of those who posted here have responded to the statement that Bach is not appropriate for Jazz.

I agree with the previous poster. There are many brands and models that will work fine for a high school student. There is nothing wrong with getting a horn that inspires you. Except I would caution straying into some of the more unconventional instruments. Monette or Harrelson come to mind. Great horns, but probably not for high school.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you are not participating, you may want to attend some district or state high school solo competitions to see what instruments the top scoring soloists are using. Might provide some inspiration, too.

Steve
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanolesen wrote:
I'm a high schooler looking to upgrade to a higher end horn and was wondering what horn I could buy that could double as a lead Jazz and Orchestral horn.

It sounds like you're looking for a general-purpose horn, not a horn that's overly specialized.

aidanolesen wrote:
I've read a few forums and seen a few videos that say to avoid Bachs for jazz but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Not sure who would say this. Bachs are great horns.

It just depends on what you like. But if you're looking for suggestions, the Bach Stradivarius (37, 43, 72), Yamaha (Xeno), Schilke (B1, B5, S32), Getzen (Proteus, Custom 3050), Kanstul (1537, 1600) are just a few of the many good choices to consider.

Do you have a place where you can try out some horns, to see what you like?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn for both Jazz and Orchestra Reply with quote

Hey Aidan,

There are many fine models to choose from in the all-around category. Three that I've tried recently and would recommend:

Yamaha Xeno 8335
XO Brass 1602s
Bach 180-37

I disagree that one should avoid Bachs for jazz. One of my favorite jazz players, Nicholas Payton, plays a Bach (Mount Vernon 43, I believe), and I love the sound of his playing. (I've listened to most of his recordings and heard him live at a small club--great!)

If I were you, I'd seek out and read comments from others, but I wouldn't take any as the absolute last word, especially if the review is negative. Maybe that model was a bad example or just wasn't right for that person, but perhaps a good example could be right for you. Have fun!
Piccolo Stomvi
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Bachs for jazz is nonsense. Just check out the Bach endorsers and players. Dave Douglas, the poor guy, cannot play Bach because he does jazz??? I have played my Bach (on a much much lower level than DD) for jazz trio, quartet, big band, and soul/pop bands for 25 years. No one ever complained about the trumpet, just about the player ...

On the other hand, expect the unexpected: I have always struggled with playing high - high starting at a below high c in those long big band gigs. Just solved the problem by qualified practice last year.

Came across an old Hüttl Silver Colibri from the sixties and immediately had high c and up to g above ... so maybe your best instrument in terms of playability is some brand you never heard of before. Keeps trumpet life interesting
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Bobby Shew anybody? Curious.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
maguro73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former college professor used to play on a Mt. Vernon and sold it for a Bobby Shew. He says it works well with a larger mouthpiece and is super versatile. Warm when you need it, bright and commercial when you need it. and he uses it in his symphony playing...
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: horn for jazz and orchestra Reply with quote

My college teacher was a Schilke player, but he cautioned me about looking for something else my first year in school. He also said something that makes perfect sense since I played a Benge which was recognized as a Jazz horn by the studio guys in the 50s and 60s, etc. Benge was also played by many orchestra players. My teacher always said to remember that I was the instrumentalist. I am responsible for the sound coming out the bell. Bach and Yamaha sell the most and resell at good prices. I have never had either brand but you can hardly go wrong as 5 of the nations principle orchestra guys are Yamaha men, and others will be Bach. Mouthpiece for each style of music is enough to carry the day.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: horn for jazz and orchestra Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
....Benge was also played by many orchestra players....

My first teacher, a Juilliard graduate, told me that he played everything on a large bore Chicago Benge and Mt Vernon 1.5C, including winning a symphony audition on that setup.

As I said in a previous post: a good horn is a good horn is a good horn. It's the player and the approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: