• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mahler symphonies...why the choice of keys for trumpet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Mahler symphonies...why the choice of keys for trumpet Reply with quote

Why are Mahler’s trumpet parts written in F and B-flat (more keys?)?

I believe some of the reason has to do with the common use of the F & B-flat trumpets in "Mahler's" orchestras at the time, part of it is probably linked to the instruction offered by Berlioz in his "Treatise on Instrumentation and Orchestration" (1843/1855) along with Strauss' revision of Berlioz' book (1904/1948), and part of it is linked to attempting to keep as much of each musical passage within the staff to avoid excessive use of ledger lines. Strauss continued in the vein of Berlioz by putting passages in the tonal center of each passage (e.g. Don Juan is an excellent example). Mahler, on the other hand, seemed to gravitate to employing the two most popular trumpets of the time, F and B-flat. I don't have time to research all of this right now, but I'm guessing someone has. Some of it may have been a blend of the publishing house "rules" at the time, or what they decided would be as consistent as possible. (Sometimes, I have thought that the typesetter at the publishing house was a 2nd trumpet player that thought, “I’m going to teach this 3rd player to stop looking at my part by confusing the h- - - out of him!”)

I think one of the best arguments we trumpet players have regarding the selection of trumpet we use is found in Strauss’ revision of Berlioz’ article on the Trumpet in his treatise:

http://www.opus28.co.uk/Berlioz-Strauss.pdf

pp. 281-97 (The Trumpet, The Cornet)

On p. 282, notice Strauss’ revision (represented by the squiggly mark on the left of each paragraph). He writes:

“It is best to apply here, too, Wagner's method of writing in all keys so as to leave the trumpet part in C major as much as possible. One can then leave the choice of the most suitable key to the individual trumpet player.

THIS IS HUGE, FRIENDS! Quote this to the next conductor that gives you grief about your choice of instrument. Go ahead! Put them in their place. You might get fired, but at least you’ll be right! Ha!

A cursory search on TH is not resulting in a quick find for previous threads along these lines. If anyone knows specific threads, please post here. I am thinking someone may have done a specific DMA major document or master’s thesis along these lines, and if anyone knows of such, please post in this thread. I plan on researching all of the Mahler symphony parts to uncover any “truths,” but Holy Week is a busy time for those of us doing church gigs…and a show!…and contracting!…and arranging for strings for Maundy Thursday! To be continued next week…unless someone has already researched all of this. Let us know.

Using the following in a google search:

site:trumpetherald.com mahler (seems to be too broad)

site:trumpetherald.com mahler symphonies

site:trumpetherald.com mahler trumpet

Ideas on what terms to employ in the TH or general Internet search?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought, avoiding accidentals. I just had a gander at some of the Mahler Symphonies that move so freely between F and Bb trumpet; they're littered with accidentals and are not in C major for the trumpet.

Charlie Geyer talked about Mahler's use of F trumpet in a master class he gave at University of Kentucky. Pretty interesting. The master class is in three parts and I can't recall which part it's in, so you'll have to watch the whole thing.

It's worth the watch.

Here's part one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN2Xw9wceI

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out Charlie Geyer's master class. What I was pointing out was how Strauss followed the Berlioz rule of keeping it as close to the printed key of C major, but that Mahler mainly focused on keeping notes inside the staff and limiting himself to the two common orchestral trumpets, F & B-flat, of the day (or of the orchestras with which he had affiliation, which is all speculation on my part at this point, hasn't been proven and not sure it if can be). However, at a cursory glance at some of the lower trumpet parts in some of the earlier symphonies, at least, I'm seeing parts only in F with some ledger lines, where he could have had a switch to B-flat and kept more notes in the staff. Would that mean that those players would have only played the F trumpet and that he (or the typesetter for the publishing house) was catering to the fact? Maybe only the top players in these orchestras used the B-flat. It would be interesting to know. I know there are passages that moved quickly from printed F to B-flat, and vice versa, but that research will be for next week. Meanwhile, perhaps someone reading this will have a quick and accurate recollection of passages like that. Or not...
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I missed that.

Geyer mentions that Mahler preferred the sound of the F trumpet over that of the higher-pitched B flat instruments. I dare not type any more about it because I'll be paraphrasing and likely to not get it right. Been a while since I watched the video.

But the idea about ledger lines makes sense. I've played some pieces in F that had ridiculous ledger lines below the staff and hard to read.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mahler symphonies...why the choice of keys for trumpet Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Why are Mahler’s trumpet parts written in F and B-flat (more keys?)?

“It is best to apply here, too, Wagner's method of writing in all keys so as to leave the trumpet part in C major as much as possible. One can then leave the choice of the most suitable key to the individual trumpet player.

THIS IS HUGE, FRIENDS! Quote this to the next conductor that gives you grief about your choice of instrument. Go ahead! Put them in their place. You might get fired, but at least you’ll be right! Ha!

Thanks for the Strauss quote. I have never seen that before. There was an article published in the ITG Journal quite a few years ago about this very subject. I found the Journal.

https://store.trumpetguild.org/products/itg-journal-february-1989-complete

There is also a TH thread from 2010 that mentions this article
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say that's a fantastic master class by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
mikatpt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't seen the masterclass so I might be rehashing material but:

in essence, yes - Mr Geyer's supposition is that Mahler preferred the sound of the larger F trumpet. the idea is that orchestras back then were much smaller and less loud, and the larger instruments provided an exciting and vibrant timbre without overpowering the orchestra. proof of concept: check out deutsch kammerphilharmonie beethoven 5 or 7(!!) (or any period orchestras) and note the timbre of the trumpets and size of the orchestra.

so hypothetically speaking, the timbre of B flat trumpets at that dynamic just didn't really cut it for mahler, and he notated for F trumpet accordingly. this is also why, says Mr Geyer, that there is a low concert E flat in the opening solo of the 5th symphony even though it's written in B flat transposition - it's an acknowledgement that everyone's going to play that solo on a smaller trumpet for ease and chromaticism... but also a complaint that it would sound better on a natural trumpet, even if it isn't entirely possible.

not sure if there's any kind of literature reinforcing the conjecture, but I think it's not a bad one! the above is approximately what he would say though, if asked. now if you REALLY want to have fun though, ask him what he thinks about the bass trombone....

M
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Beethoven is not Mahler. In the first Performance of Mahler 8(Symphony of 1000) the size of the orchestra was 150..

[quote="mikatpt"]haven't seen the masterclass so I might be rehashing material but:

in essence, yes - Mr Geyer's supposition is that Mahler preferred the sound of the larger F trumpet. the idea is that orchestras back then were much smaller and less loud, and the larger instruments provided an exciting and vibrant timbre without overpowering the orchestra. proof of concept: check out deutsch kammerphilharmonie beethoven 5 or 7(!!) (or any period orchestras) and note the timbre of the trumpets and size of the orchestra.

so hypothetically speaking, the timbre of B flat trumpets at that dynamic just didn't really cut it for mahler, and he notated for F trumpet accordingly. this is also why, says Mr Geyer, that there is a low concert E flat in the opening solo of the 5th symphony even though it's written in B flat transposition - it's an acknowledgement that everyone's going to play that solo on a smaller trumpet for ease and chromaticism... but also a complaint that it would sound better on a natural trumpet, even if it isn't entirely possible.

not sure if there's any kind of literature reinforcing the conjecture, but I think it's not a bad one! the above is approximately what he would say though, if asked. now if you REALLY want to have fun though, ask him what he thinks about the bass trombone....

M[/quote]
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikatpt wrote:

in essence, yes - Mr Geyer's supposition is that Mahler preferred the sound of the larger F trumpet. the idea is that orchestras back then were much smaller and less loud, and the larger instruments provided an exciting and vibrant timbre without overpowering the orchestra.

Mahler's trumpet parts are chromatic and cannot be played on natural trumpets. What happened to all those big F valve trumpets? I've never seen one.

Hup
tanda
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hup_d_dup wrote:
mikatpt wrote:

in essence, yes - Mr Geyer's supposition is that Mahler preferred the sound of the larger F trumpet. the idea is that orchestras back then were much smaller and less loud, and the larger instruments provided an exciting and vibrant timbre without overpowering the orchestra.

Mahler's trumpet parts are chromatic and cannot be played on natural trumpets. What happened to all those big F valve trumpets? I've never seen one.

Hup

An excellent point Hup. Also, I can't remember where I saw it but I'm certain that someone did the research and found that for example the orchestra that premiered his 5th Symphony (Cologne Gurzenich Orchestra 1904) used piston C trumpets.

So, short of being able to go back and ask Mahler himself perhaps we'll never know.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hup_d_dup wrote:

Here is one, https://www.robbstewart.com/brown-sons-f-trumpet

Here is an earlier one with Vienna valves, https://www.robbstewart.com/teltow-cornet-1
mikatpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea was that it was more of a nostalgic kind of thing than a literal one - notating for the instrument to indicate the sound he was looking for. at that point I'm pretty sure he knew people weren't going to play big trumpets on his music.

in any case it is definitely just conjecture!

M
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea why so many American orchestras use piston trumpets for Mahler and rotaries for Bruckner?

LCM
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Question Reply with quote

MalinTrumpet wrote:
Anyone have any idea why so many American orchestras use piston trumpets for Mahler and rotaries for Bruckner?

LCM

I believe this would be a matter of tonal association with these instruments. Some feel that the rotaries provide a darker color when played softly but more brilliantly when played louder. I recall V. Cichowicz discussing this in his Orchestral Brass class, and at that time, the brands Monke and Gänter were predominant, which have definitely been surpassed by Schagerl and others today. I believe the evolution of performance practice to where we are at present would be linked to the preferences and influences of the conductors and trumpet sections of major symphony orchestras in Europe and now U.S., etc.

Many orchestras today also use rotaries for Beethoven and Mozart, but there is certainly no historical link to the players of their day using such. Mozart (1756-1791) was composing before valves (1814 or so) and Beethoven (1770-1827) was basically still writing for the "natural" (valveless) trumpets, which were considered superior in tone to the newer valved trumpets of the day. So, all of this is an evolution of performance practice. Some of the evolution of the instrument preferred has to do with sheer projection power. I have read that most, if not all, of the wind instruments in the orchestra have had a progression of enabling the player to produce greater projection power. A lot of this is proposed to be due to the need for such with the larger symphonic works like that of R. Strauss, Mahler, Stravinsky, et al, around the turn of the 20th century.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Mahler's day, the trumpets he heard as director of the staadt oper were piston Bb and C. Other German cities which performed his works certainly used rotary instruments. I'm not aware of any commentary that he had stated a preference for either. Just as interesting is that in Rossini's time, Italians were paying on rotary instruments, so if you want to be more authentic...

Also, the notion that rotary trumpet somehow fulfil Beethoven and Brahms' intentions is rather weird. They wrote for nature trumpets - at least they were valveless - so insisting on one or the other valve doesn't make sense. Insisting on valveless trumpets does...

At the end of the day, top level players will sound like themselves. The decision to use a rotary or piston will lend a rather subtle difference, not the amazing change we all expect. I have had conductors umm and ahh and not really be bothered, as long as we are in time, in tune, balance and play MUSICALLY. (Even had one not notice we were using natural trumpets in the Mozart requiem!) (He did notice in the next work when opheclides came out!)

cheers

Andy
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikatpt wrote:
if you REALLY want to have fun though, ask him what he thinks about the bass trombone....

Okay, I'm curious...
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
...Also, the notion that rotary trumpet somehow fulfil Beethoven and Brahms' intentions is rather weird. They wrote for nature trumpets...

Exactly. I believe modern U.S. players, for instance, make an association with the choice of rotaries among Austrian and German orchestral players (the composers' counties of origin and association), that somehow that is more closely linked to the sound intended. Intended by whom? The composer? What do we know what the composer intended as far as the sound/timbre/volume? The differences in sound and playability between rotaries and pistons for modern professional orchestral players may seem vast, but to the general listener, can they tell? Could a composer tell? You'd think a conductor of a major sym. orch. could tell, but do they? Back to the story of Lawrence Foster years ago looking back at the section (of a major U.S. sym. orch.) during a rehearsal of the end of Petrushka. He sees the 1st trumpet using a modern piccolo trumpet with mute and says: "I want that on the big trumpet." The Principal player had his C trumpet sitting on a stand in front of him, but said, "Okay, Maestro. I'll have it here tomorrow." The next day, Foster seemed satisfied when he looked back during the run-through of that passage and saw what he thought was a big trumpet and said, "Yes, that is what I want." (The Principal player was using his herald-bell piccolo!)

Last edited by dstpt on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
...In Mahler's day, the trumpets he heard as director of the staadt oper were piston Bb and C. Other German cities which performed his works certainly used rotary instruments....

I am still working through my research, but to my recollection, the trumpet parts to his symphonies were in F and B-flat. Richard Birkemeier's research on the history of the trumpet in the 19th c. indicates that the F trumpet was still very much in use around the turn of the 20th c. The B-flat was definitely starting to emerge as an instrument of choice (as best we can tell from the limited resources available), and the C also was beginning to see usage in the orchestra. What Mahler intended, though, would be left up to conjecture.

Years ago I submitted a research paper to a university music theory professor. It was an analysis of what, I believe, many would consider to be a major solo work for trumpet. I was reflecting on various compositional elements and his employment of the instrument in a solo capacity, but I was reprimanded when I used the phrase, “…and here the composer was thinking….” I got my hand slapped big time! The professor wrote on my paper: “You cannot know what the composer was thinking by analyzing his music!” I have since adopted that understanding. As players and students of any instrument, I believe that we can speculate and surmise all we want regarding a composer’s intent or preference based on what we see in a given set of the composer’s works, but I believe it would be inappropriate for us to draw such conclusions, unless we have a first-hand account of the composer explaining himself/herself. A first-hand account would be a written document, where the composer is detailing their thoughts. This could be something like an interview, a diary/journal/memoir, or other historical scholarly document. Drawing conclusions from our observations of a composition would be borderline, if not total, presumption.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the choice of pistons or rotaries for certain composers, it has less to do with historical accuracy than orchestral blend. Rotaries are often considered to have a sound that fits in to the orchestral texture rather than stick out, which is more fitting for Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Schubert, Brahms,maybe Wagner, and to some extent Bruckner, than it is for Mahler and Strauss, whose trumpet parts tend to be more soloistic in nature.

JU
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a principal trumpeter in an AMERICAN orchestra that has used a rotary trumpet in a performance of Mahler's 5th? Or the 2nd, 3rd, 6th or 7th?

My guess is no. If I am correct I have my own theories on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: