• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

St. Louis Symphony Principal Player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
16mguilette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: St. Louis Symphony Principal Player? Reply with quote

Hi all! This is my first post here, but I've been reading trumpetherald for a while now.

I recently got a recording of the St. Louis Symphony (Slatkin) playing Pictures at an Exhibition, and the sizzle of the trumpet player in the opening Promenade is astounding. Here is a link to a page for the album: https://www.discogs.com/Mussorgsky-Leonard-Slatkin-Saint-Louis-Symphony-Orchestra-Pictures-At-An-ExhibitionNight-On-Bald-Mou/master/656469

Does anyone know who's playing principal trumpet on this recording? It was made in either 1975 or 1976.

Thank you!

Matt
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: St. Louis Symphony Principal Player? Reply with quote

16mguilette wrote:
Hi all! This is my first post here, but I've been reading trumpetherald for a while now.

I recently got a recording of the St. Louis Symphony (Slatkin) playing Pictures at an Exhibition, and the sizzle of the trumpet player in the opening Promenade is astounding. Here is a link to a page for the album: https://www.discogs.com/Mussorgsky-Leonard-Slatkin-Saint-Louis-Symphony-Orchestra-Pictures-At-An-ExhibitionNight-On-Bald-Mou/master/656469

Does anyone know who's playing principal trumpet on this recording? It was made in either 1975 or 1976.

Thank you!

Matt

Susan Slaughter was the principal then. I don't know her playing well enough to say if the distinctive style on that recording is hers.
Athos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very interesting to hear. Susan was principal then, and Slatkin was an assistant conductor at the time. The music director was Susskind, who left and was replaced by Semkow about the same time this was recorded. I wonder if the recording went to Slatkin due to the transition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: