• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

JP packer 171 cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: JP packer 171 cornet Reply with quote

Having sold off all my raw brass cornets, I was suffering from cornet withdrawal. So I did another leap of faith. Bought a JP Packer 171 cornet from Ebay.

Yes I know it is made in China, and has the Smith Watkins leadpipe. But how does it play?
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a JP071, one step below the 171, which I bought from a TH member as a practice and backup horn. Plays surprisingly well considering the price.

Is it as good as the WT? Not even close, but good enough for the reasons I purchased it.

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw that same one on ebay. I've been thinking of getting a "real" cornet, but not sure when/how to start. Why did you sell your raw brass ones? What did you like/not like about them? (And will look forward to the review of the JP when you get it...)
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: I wonder about myself Reply with quote

Bought a Getzen 397 trumpet and was very impressed with it. Then thought it would be a good idea to only have a Getzen trumpet and cornet.

Made my cornets raw brass due to spots and lacquer wear. Sold my raw brass Bach 310, because I didn't like the 3rd slide adjustable ring. Had the 3rd slide ring moved from the side to the top of the 3rd slide. Liked the size of it though. Yamaha 2330 I somewhat regret selling that one. Both had excellent sound.

I wanted to own a intermediate trumpet/cornet and eventually a professional trumpet or cornet.

Sold my Getzen 397 trumpet to upgrade to a Getzen Capri trumpet. I am very happy with that decision. Next month, I will have a tech install a fixed ring on the 3rd slide.

Put a bid on ebay for a Getzen 300 Shepherd's crook cornet. Hoping someone will outbid me. Then later the JP Packer 171 cornet came up.

Really missed the feel and sound of a cornet. Saw the bid for the JP Packer 171 cornet on ebay, the finish looked in decent shape.The price wasn't bad.

Probably have owed most of the student models trumpets/cornets out there.But I have the habit of adding a thumb hook on the 1st slide and 3rd slide fixed ring. On my Holton 602 trumpet, cost of installing 1st slide ring and fixed ring was more expensive than the purchase price of the trumpet.

With Ebay, I will place a bid on something, then something better will come up. So I either bid on the second item or wait until someone beats my bid on the 1st item. Also I bid on both and hope on the 1st item that I am outbidded.

So I am saving money on trumpets by buying one with either the thumb hook or the fixed ring or both. Don't know why but the adjustable 3rd slide ring annoys me.

Anyway the JP Packer 171 cornet should arrive this weekend. Looking forward to playing it.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Cornet came today Reply with quote

Received the JP Packer 171 shepherds crook cornet today. I like the thumb hook on the 1st slide and fixed ring on the 3rd slide. The finish is very shiny and appears to be well made. Obviously well taken a care of by the previous owner. The soft case is very compact. The previous owner did a good job of oiling the pistons and slides.

Sounded good with the Packer 4B that came with it and my Bach 2 C cornet mouthpiece. A very good cornet sound.

Played it more this weekend. The valves, slides are in excellent shape.

The interior of the case is a red material with the logo and two mouthpiece inserts. Inside material is a stretched over a chunk of styrofoam. Not impressed with this case.

I was curious, how old the cornet was. So I contacted the seller, no response. Contacted the company, representative stated": " Due to the sheer number of instruments we sell we don’t keep track of serial numbers"
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Selling the cornet Reply with quote

Decided to sell the JP Packer 171 shepherds crook silver plated cornet. It doesn't work very with my cornet mouthpieces. It is sounds excellent with the Packer 4 cornet mouthpiece. Beautiful looking cornet.

So my curiosity about playing a JP Packer cornet is over..

Waiting on my Getzen 381 shepherd's crook cornet to arrive. Trying to keep to my plan on only owning Getzen horns.

Ebay and Shopgoodwill are very dangerous to me.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Keeping cornet Reply with quote

I am keeping the JP Packer 171 shepherds crook silver plated cornet. It works very with my new DEG 1.5 cornet mouthpiece.

Tried to sell on ebay and craigslist. Have reached my limit on the minimum price I would accept.

Don't know what has changed, but the cornet is sounding better than I remembered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: