• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to self-identify one's own embouchure type?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: How to self-identify one's own embouchure type? Reply with quote

I got curious while thinking about how I play most naturally, so I decided to take a look at that wonderful Wilktone page on the embouchure types explained simply. I have come to the conclusion that I am a Type IV player, but how can I be sure?
I am an upstream player with an overbite on the higher end of moderate. When I play or blow air at all, my jaw automatically moves forward to align with my upper teeth, but I don't even feel it... it just kind of happens. My lips are a little bit interesting in that at rest they are perfectly aligned, but my my lower lip is (at least I believe it to be) very thick and fleshy. My upper lip is also rather thick, but it has this weird bulge bit at the center. On this bulge if I run my finger along it there is also a very slight ridge (protruding out) straight down the middle. I tend to place my mouthpiece with about 70% lower lip in the cup. I've also noticed that when I simply blow air my upper lip rolls in a little bit, but not over my top teeth, just in towards my teeth. I should add that my horn angle ranges from slightly downward to straight out. I do not use a pivot (as far as I know).
I haven't the slightest idea why this information is pertinent, but I figure it might help on confirming or correcting my conclusion.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: