• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Standing vs Sitting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you sit or stand while practicing alone (not in an ensemble)?
I always or almost always stand.
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
I usually stand.
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
I stand about half of the time and sit about half of the time.
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
I usually sit.
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
I always or almost always sit.
37%
 37%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 69

Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Standing vs Sitting Reply with quote

When you practice alone (not in an ensemble), do you sit or stand? I try to practice outside and stand. However, when i practice indoors, I usually sit.

My experience is that standing promotes better breathing habits. Also, standing appears to improve my concentration and attention to detail. When I sit, I tend to become a little lax.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My practice changed when I moved from siiting facing a music stand against a wall to standing and facing an open room.
islandtrumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When playing piccolo trumpet, I like to stand because my mentality for a lot of piccolo rep is to play "on my tip toes." This encourages me to use less tongue and play lighter overall. When playing a taxing trumpet concerto, I will often stand because it promotes confidence and mindful playing (at least for me). So I would attribute my standing or sitting to the mentality I am attempting to enter into.
Bach Artisan C
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo
ACB Flugel
Austin Custom Brass MPs
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Islandtrumpeter posted:

I will often stand because it promotes confidence and mindful playing (at least for me). So I would attribute my standing or sitting to the mentality I am attempting to enter into.

Exactly so.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with this, i always stand as for me i feel its better for breathing and not tensing up. Before i blow a note i do a couple of reps of the CG breathing excercises to get everything moving (hopefully!)

Interestingly, from memory as i havent seen one for a few years now, whenever i would watch a classical trumpet concerto live with a symphony orchestra, the soloist would have a chair provided and sit to play the concerto. Unsure if that just happens here in Melbourne but its probably a classical thing.

Interesting poll results, almost neck and neck between sitting or standing.

good poll Grits

Regards

EricV
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of my performance/ensemble is sat, so I practice mainly sat - I stand sometimes, it can be useful but ultimately I need to be playing well sat so I practice playing well sat...
Including making a mental note of posture - if you can't find the concentration to sort that whilst you're in your practice room with minimal distractions, what chance do you stand in a rehearsal or performance?

I try to make sure that what's done in the practice room is (consciously) building good habits for when out of the practice room where we rely on subconscious habits.
With that in mind, wouldn't practicing mainly stood up be little more than sweeping any problems with sitting posture under the rug?
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually sit on a stool rather than in a chair. I can emulate a standing posture while sitting on a stool. I do a few things while standing to reinforce posture and proper breathing. Plus using a stool iworks much better on my lower back.

Most of the big band playing is done standing, for most of us. Theater work is done always while sitting, as well as brass quartet/quintet work. Small group Jazz work is done while standing.

You have to be comfortable with both sitting and standing.

Pete
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
Interestingly, from memory as i havent seen one for a few years now, whenever i would watch a classical trumpet concerto live with a symphony orchestra, the soloist would have a chair provided and sit to play the concerto. Unsure if that just happens here in Melbourne but its probably a classical thing.

I'd love to know who the soloist was, as I have never, ever seen a trumpet concerto performed with the soloist seated - including Geoff Payne when I saw him perform in Sydney. That includes Australia, North America and Europe... The ONLY time I played a solo performance sitting I was 13, it was the first time I had ever performed like that and not even soon a solo performance before. I had been playing all of months and tried to play an arrangement of trumpet voluntary in Bb. ( The feedback was rather negative... )

For the record I stand or sit, with no conscious effort to decide. Seeing as I do both performing, it sort of makes sense. I do the same teaching, kids will stand or sit - often to make sure they are not in an unthinking comfort zone.

I do remember Ed Tarr explaining ow it was easier to use one's breath support to play higher when sitting. Therefore you need to also practice standing up.

cheers

Andy
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

When i said a few years i should have said quite a few years!!. The soloist was the great Merv Simpson with the MSO in the late 60's and early 70's (i think he retired around 1972 then commenced his conducting career) and he always sat to perform solos.

I also saw his successor John Schmidli do the same but i dont think he kept up the practice for long.

Cheers

EricV
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my home environment I do half-and-half for warm-up and fundamentals, stand for solo repertoire and etudes, and sit for excerpts and other ensemble and quintet part practice. I pretty much practice how I would when actually performing whatever it is I'm practicing.

Even in auditions I will stand for solos and etudes and sit for excerpts. I don't prefer one way over the other but I've done it this way so long that it seems weird otherwise.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually stand warming up,then sit practicing technical studies such as Arban's or Clarkes. I used to stand a lot more, but being in my late 60's with Arthritis in both knees,not so much now.

It's important to be able to play everything both sitting and standing.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like siting on an exercise ball.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
I like siting on an exercise ball.

That's a great idea! Stealing it :>
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer standing. It engages more of the muscles, improves posture, and generally feels better. But I can't stand long, so I mostly sit. :/
GTRPT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sit, but quickly realized it was likely only harming me because I had been using a couch that I would sink into. If you use a chair, sometimes you have the tendency to slouch so I've preferred standing
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to remember, whether sitting or standing is correct posture.Most players know how to stand,but not how to sit.They will slouch,cross their legs,and put their backs against the back rest.
Your upper body posture should be the same sitting or standing with both feet flat on the floor.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I practiced my Schlossberg and scales sitting, but my concentration started to flag when I turned on an Abersold record to jam for a while. I stood up to get into it a little bit, which helps immensely.

Reflecting on this polling question, I practice as a default sitting down, but if I'm having trouble concentrating I stand up, which helps me focus and/or eliminate distractions.

Cheers!
thaxterj1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Sit/Stand Reply with quote

If I'm practicing something I will perform standing up, then I stand. Like a solo or church gig.

If playing something I am going to play sitting, i.e. ensembles, I sit.

Always practice like you perform-eliminate the variables. It applies to the warm up as well why warm up standing and immediately sit in a chair to perform?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sit/Stand Reply with quote

thaxterj1 wrote:
If I'm practicing something I will perform standing up, then I stand. Like a solo or church gig.

If playing something I am going to play sitting, i.e. ensembles, I sit.

This. I prefer to play standing up, pretty much all the time. For whatever reason, I think I play better in general standing up. But, if I practice something standing up that I actually need to perform seated, I find that to be far less beneficial.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer to play standing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: