• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did I make a really dumb purchase or is this of any value

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it... Not sure I "$800 like it", but it's cool. That mouthpiece looks crazy small, but as someone else said; can you get a custom made mouthpiece that will fit the lead pipe and still allow decent sound?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pitch is it in? Might it be a three rotor Bb piccolo trumpet? Or perhaps a G Rotary trumpet? Any mouthpiece maker could do up a normal sized cup mouthpiece with a shank to fit that thing.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
What pitch is it in? Might it be a three rotor Bb piccolo trumpet? Or perhaps a G Rotary trumpet? Any mouthpiece maker could do up a normal sized cup mouthpiece with a shank to fit that thing.

My guess is it's a scaled down salesman's model but I've never heard of these being made for brass instruments.
GideonT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in Bb up an octave like a piccolo
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of want it. I'm not sure about 800.00 but, if you don't want it at all. let me know.
GideonT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll check out those German sites, and search in German to see if I can find it elsewhere. The actual price I won it for was €500, around $620 I think. But shipping and a 22% buyers premuim is why it was 800, which is worth noting.

Here are some photos with my normal mouthpiece next to it, I am not sure a normal sized mouthpiece could be made to fit this tiny receiver. My guess is that the whole horn is half size, including the mouthpiece. The good thing is that it has a mouthpiece that fits it that could be used as a reference. The backbone would be very small to match it, the biggest problem is the small cup diameter which is very hard to play.

https://ibb.co/gX88Kx
https://ibb.co/kDROmc
https://ibb.co/gQ3fXH
https://ibb.co/gxM66c

I don’t have a job yet because of school but the summer is coming up so maybe I’ll ask some companies that do custom work and see if they could do it and how much it would cost.
I think it would have to be made from scratch, otherwise cornet shank is the closest and it’s still much bigger.
I used to be a French horn player, and those shanks are much smaller in diameter, that could also be a possibility.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Mini rotary Reply with quote

My take on all of this is you have something unique and possibly quite valuable. I sold a King Mini for a friend several years ago for $4000 and my suggestion is to contact John Hagstrom as he is an authority on these special instruments. I would not be in a hurry to sell it until you do the research. The valves appear to be from Cerveny/Amati and perhaps they could help with the research. The original mouthpiece on the King Mini was also tiny and proportionate to the trumpet. Good luck with this.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubertin Jr. for his apprenticeship under his father made miniature reproductions of several brass instruments, to prove he could make a real one. Aubertin's miniature trumpet also had a fully scaled-down mouthpiece like yours. So thats another potential reason why this instrument was made, as a learning tool.
GideonT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a demo of what it sounds like using the “Christmas ornament” mouthpiece

https://youtu.be/yWiLU8C2J7M

I contacted John Hagstrom about the horn and he corrected me and said it seems to be in C and not Bb, which is correct. I haven’t tuned it yet and I didn’t notice it was in C. He also offered to work on a mouthpiece for it with the help of Karl Hammond which I will definitely do once I get some more funds.

This is turning out to be more interesting than I initially thought when I took it out of the packaging and I’m pretty excited about it

Actually I just tuned it and it is in A, not C.

Last edited by GideonT on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I love that you've added it to your by-line

You could also try something like, "among the world's most accomplished mini-rotary trumpeters."

Good luck on the mouthpiece too--you might be able to do something like find a plastic or pvc stem that you could affix to a full-size cup (maybe even from a bigger plastic mouthpiece).

I like the video--it will be cool if you can do some scales or short pieces.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
There is no such thing as dumb purchases, only dumb purchasers.

DB

Ouch.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I had a dream about this horn last night. It had a coprion bell, and a removable whistle-like mouthpiece that allowed it to just be blown on when in place, and removed, it would take the metal trumpet mouthpiece. A woman asked if she could use it to tune her flute, and I told her to use a piano instead, and that this thing was just a novelty.

I hope you're all satisfied.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help, but I play the cornett (yes, 2"t"s) in addition to trumpet (and flute and...) and it has a mouthpiece similar in size to your "mini mystery". I find that moving the 'piece slightly off-center (I go right) allows you to avoid the thicker part of your lips that you use for the regular trumpet. With practice, I suspect you'll be able to get a nice sound out of your "prize"!

Pat
GideonT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
Not sure if this will help, but I play the cornett (yes, 2"t"s) in addition to trumpet (and flute and...) and it has a mouthpiece similar in size to your "mini mystery". I find that moving the 'piece slightly off-center (I go right) allows you to avoid the thicker part of your lips that you use for the regular trumpet. With practice, I suspect you'll be able to get a nice sound out of your "prize"!

Pat

It does, thanks for the suggestion
GideonT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

So over the past year or so I’ve been able to contact John Hagstrom and he actually helped me out! I shipped it to him and he worked with Karl Hammond to make a mouthpiece for it, I’ve got a video of me messing around on it on YouTube: https://youtu.be/hvvZXiImAio
It’s still very hard to play but it works, it’s pitched in A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: