• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cut-off points. Characteristics, Causes & Cures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Cut-off points. Characteristics, Causes & Cures Reply with quote

Nothing can be more frustrating than for an otherwise good musician and trumpet player to be stuck at a ceiling in their register. On no other musical instrument is this condition quite so pronounced

The woodwinds don't have it although it does take some development to excel on their higher notes. And in the brass besides the trumpet I suppose that the French Hornist can have at least a degree of this problem. Then there's the lead trombone. However I play trombone myself. Relatively well. I don't find the instrument anywhere near so hard as trumpet. And I suppose the human voice has frustrating limitations too. Me? Mostly I wish that I could sing bass.

Check out the trumpet players whom you know. I'll bet that they fall into three categories. Let's base this upon relatively dedicated trumpets who've played at least three years or more.

I. Cuts off at high D. Almost no sound at all above. Can not blow the E natural, third ledger line above the staff. At all. Not even if their life depended upon it.

II. Cuts off around a high G. It might be an F# or maybe an A flat but its usually a high G.

III. Three parts. Trumpets without distinct ceilings such as the awful high D cut-off point but who,
A. Thin out. Making soft high notes less or unusable in concert.
B. Displays "brittleness", lack of accuracy and difficulty articulating. Lots of clams and a general lack of musicality in an otherwise decent player. Once he gets back down the scale he's an otherwise good player.

Granted that last category "III" is kind of broad and may actually simply define a trumpet player who could just need to practice more. However I've seen guys stuck in this area of limitation for their whole lives. Unable to improve.

I have some ideas on how to defeat these limitations. Currently I'm having pretty good luck at finally getting rid of my high G cut-off point. Believe me, it's been a long time coming. In a bit I will offer my ideas and opinions on why these frustrating conditions occur on us. Meanwhile?

Have at it! Share your feedback. Mention any other categories etc.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
SALUKIGUY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am between I and II but mostly a I. I do get an E or F on a good day.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listen carefully you will find your sound begins to change 3-5 notes before the cutoff. Those are the notes you need to fix.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will I always be a I?

Maybe.

I'll also never drive a golf ball 300 yards or run the Boston Marathon. I'm OK with that.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My practical high note was an E above High C, not a D, although I could play a Double High C. I don't care about more, although if it comes I would welcome it, my high notes are for the purpose of me having more options as an improviser.

Although it's articulate enough, I just don't understand the categories completely.

My E's fairly solid. Up to C or D, it's thinner, weaker. Above that, nothing comes out.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Cat III. I am almost always good to a High G/A in rehearsals and gigs. That said, that is at an amateur level. I do not have the facility, endurance, or musicianship of a pro player; but I have a nice big full sound to High G/A for as long as my endurance lasts. In practice I play to a Double D. Sometimes I can go higher, but I am not willing to put in the time to develop those notes above a Double D.

As with most things involving trumpet some days I am better at all this than others. My idea is to maintain enough range so I can play well to High G/A and occasional get a Double C in performances.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: