• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flexibilities

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Flexibilities Reply with quote

I have been back playing again for 8 years after a lay off of some 30 years and i am happy with my progress in most areas, sound , endurance and technique are of a standard good enough to play in the solo cornet line of a good quality brass band here in melbourne.

The one area that continues to frustrate me is my lack of progress in one area of flexibilities which is harmonic slurs. I am practicing section 3A, B and C in Colins lip flexibilities and most times all goes well until i hit the last couple of lines in each one going to b and high C above the staff. I seem to tighten up, not slot correctly and its a struggle. Occasionally it all works beautifully and i wish i could get a snapshot of what was happening tongue level, air etc, because try as i might, i cant repeat it straight away.

Just wondering if others have had this issue, and what has worked for you. Maybe i need some other material, i dont know, i make sure i rest between excercises as well

Thanks
EricV
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Flexibilities Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
I have been back playing again for 8 years after a lay off of some 30 years and i am happy with my progress in most areas, sound , endurance and technique are of a standard good enough to play in the solo cornet line of a good quality brass band here in melbourne.

The one area that continues to frustrate me is my lack of progress in one area of flexibilities which is harmonic slurs. I am practicing section 3A, B and C in Colins lip flexibilities and most times all goes well until i hit the last couple of lines in each one going to b and high C above the staff. I seem to tighten up, not slot correctly and its a struggle. Occasionally it all works beautifully and i wish i could get a snapshot of what was happening tongue level, air etc, because try as i might, i cant repeat it straight away.

Just wondering if others have had this issue, and what has worked for you. Maybe i need some other material, i dont know, i make sure i rest between excercises as well

Thanks
EricV

1970-2015 I used the Colin books, Advanced Lip Flexibilities, which helped me a lot and formed the basis of my practice. Since 1995 also the Stamp method. However after a embouchure meltdown I began the BE method (which I think might be described as a penetrating method for acquiring a flexible embouchure). Practicing the continuum of double pedals (Roll outs) and so called Roll Ins has had a dramatic effect on my flexibility. Today I have no problems sluring from say double pedal C up to high C (and the reverse). The normal range for a front row guy in a brass band, is of course say low G up to at least high C. Besides that I´ve acquired quite a formidabel endurance. The RO:s and RI:s are done in a special manner and part of a system. It is not that the Colin method is bad, it served me well, but I´ve found the BE method far better. I´ve played in a medium level brass band since 1959 so I have had ample time comparing methods.
But of course - this is good for me -I can only recommend it. To my understanding the BE method directly adresses the flexibility issue.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having spent any time with you in person or on Skype I can only make a guess. It is probably a lack of proper tongue arch needed for these notes combined with not providing enough supportive air power to make the notes click up to the higher ones.

If you want to get together for ten or 15 minutes via Skype I'll work with you on this and give you a specific flexibility exercise that can help you get the knack of how to slur up to those notes (no charge).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the idea of making sure to use sufficient tongue arch, in my lessons with Judith Saxton she would advocate practicing exercises and music with just air and tongue arch. (I forget what she calls it.) It's the same motion as whistling, just without actually whistling though you should be able to actually hear the airstream change in speed and even pitch somewhat. It works well to reinforce the motion.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
nonethewiser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Flexibilities Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
Occasionally it all works beautifully and i wish i could get a snapshot of what was happening tongue level, air etc, because try as i might, i cant repeat it straight away.

Interesting that sometimes things work beautifully when we aren't aware of "tongue level, air, etc."

The advice that has a hard time going wrong is to let the sound be your guide. Try and play with the best sound possible and keep things nice and (relatively) easy with your air and approach. I would almost bet that the sound on the notes before your problem ones are suffering in quality and that gets compounded as you ascend.

One last thing. We often think that it is the combination of the physical xyz (tongue air chops or whatever combo you want) that gets us the product. But in reality the biggest thing we should recreate is the mental approach. When it works beautifully...where you thinking of your tongue arch? Probably not. So why worry about that so much?

Get a good teacher!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Flexibilities Reply with quote

nonethewiser wrote:
EricV wrote:
Occasionally it all works beautifully and i wish i could get a snapshot of what was happening tongue level, air etc, because try as i might, i cant repeat it straight away.

Interesting that sometimes things work beautifully when we aren't aware of "tongue level, air, etc."

The advice that has a hard time going wrong is to let the sound be your guide. Try and play with the best sound possible and keep things nice and (relatively) easy with your air and approach. I would almost bet that the sound on the notes before your problem ones are suffering in quality and that gets compounded as you ascend.

One last thing. We often think that it is the combination of the physical xyz (tongue air chops or whatever combo you want) that gets us the product. But in reality the biggest thing we should recreate is the mental approach. When it works beautifully...where you thinking of your tongue arch? Probably not. So why worry about that so much?

Get a good teacher!

Paying attention to the sound and having a concept of the sound you want is certainly a requirement. But without some knowledge of what we do in general to play up and down through the register, one can know exactly what they want to sound like and still never achieve it. Personally I reached High C by age 9 - but couldn't get above that High C for 7 years afterward. And I started trying to do so-called "lip trills" at age 11 - and even though I practiced the Colin lip trill exercises every day, I had absolutely know success with getting them up to speed and smooth, again, until age 16. Furthermore, my sound and articulation in the top half octave of my range (the notes above the staff) were harsh and definitely not of the sound quality I wanted.

It wasn't until I was about 16 years old when I (finally) learned of the role of the tongue level in changing register and started paying attention to the way my tongue moved in general, that I started progressing upward in range, and I finally was able to play good, fast "lip trills" (which really should be called tongue trills), and my flexibility between slurred notes became really fluid-like and musical sounding.

I concede that some players become very good without any knowledge of the true role of the tongue - Maurice Andre is a good example of that fact. He had no idea he arched his tongue when playing high notes until he saw it happening on the fluoroscopic film made during John Haynie's research study. But for most, it can only be beneficial to know the general movement of the tongue when moving between registers, and how important the air power is to provide the support (aka compression) needed to play the upper register.

In the end, we learn to play in the same way anyone learns any task that requires strength and coordination - by getting the "feel" or "knack" of how to do it through routine practice. Knowing what you want to sound like is certainly required. But it is not the be-all, end-all of how to achieve the desired results. It is only part of the equation.

On a different subject, welcome to the Trumpet Herald! (I am assuming you are truly a new person and not somebody that just created a new ID.) It's refreshing to see a new person here who isn't just writing five one-sentence posts so he or she can place ads in the Marketplace here.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
nonethewiser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice write-up Mr. Mohan. I have to say I agree.

My final few cents are: I have seen people too keen on chasing the tangible (the physical) and lose sight of the goal. If they can find a healthy balance then it works wonderfully as you wrote.

Thanks for the welcome!
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I apologize if my advice has already been given, but here are my thoughts:

First, being able to easily do lip flexibility studies in the upper register is a fairly advanced technique. Make sure that you are being patient.

Second, it's important to develop an understanding of tongue arch and the direction of your air stream as you move between the registers. I've witnessed many students have similar issues with one particular range or another during lip slurs. We all have a "natural range" where the air stream is released effortlessly through the throat of the mouthpiece. This natural range is where most people find it easiest to buzz their mouthpiece before being warmed up and where they are able to do lip slurs most effortlessly. Most people have one or two places where there is a natural "pivot" or "break" above or below this "natural range". Learning to negotiate these areas in such a way that the air is able to continue flowing straight through the mouthpiece is essential to fluidity between the different registers.

There are players that get very into learning the different "pivots" and "breaks", but I simply concentrate on allowing the air stream to remain straight forward as best I can. I allow the chops and horn angle to adjust accordingly, and I listen for the correct resonance and ring in my sound.

Very often, when a student is having this type of difficulty in a certain range, they are trying to play past the "pivot point" or "break" without allowing the chops and or horn to adjust. The result is an air stream that is suddenly facing up or down inside the mouthpiece and therefore adding significantly increased resistance. This makes it very difficult to allow the sound to ring.

You'll know you're doing it correctly when the sound is clear and resonant. Having that model in your head is of course very important, but I believe a little knowledge about what is happening with the face/air stream is also important.

Best of luck!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonethewiser wrote:
My final few cents are: I have seen people too keen on chasing the tangible (the physical) and lose sight of the goal. If they can find a healthy balance then it works wonderfully as you wrote.

Exactly!

We need a thumbs up emoticon here!

Good stuff from Dave Zeng as well. I think that the "break" or "pivot" Dave is describing is for me at least, at the place in my upper register where I have reached the point where I am blowing as hard as I can. This isn't the highest note I can play, but rather the highest full volume note I can play. I can usually get around 1/3 to 1/2 octave higher (by arching my tongue more), but not at that full sound volume, and the volume of each progressively higher note is less and less. Essentially I am trading volume for a few more notes in range.

When I practice the playing exercises that build my strength that "break" progresses higher. At my peak, when I could occasionally reach a G above Double High C when practicing the Systematic Approach Part Two exercises, my highest full power note was the double high C (and I usually reached around an E or F in those exercises - the G only happened a few times). Now, my highest full power note is usually a G or G# above High C and I typically reach a Double Bb or B when practicing the SA exercises. I only get to them every two or three days. If I want the higher notes back, I have to practice those exercise (the Part One pedal notes arpeggios and the Part Two high note arpeggios) every single. Otherwise it's just one step forward and then one step backward. Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

John
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice, i have plenty of ideas to put into practice i appreciate you all taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Regards
EricV
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/dynamic-embouchure/

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slurs and trills are good exercises. Yet be careful not to do them excessively. As they tend to affect those minute embouchure muscles associated with endurance, range and accuracy.

Nothing besides excessive arm pressure can fatigue an embouchure quicker than lip slurs. Unless you're a person well endowed with natural abiity? I wouldn't use lip slurs and/or lip trills in a warm up.

Over-trained chops are the arch nemesis of the developing trumpet player.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
.....I wouldn't use lip slurs and/or lip trills in a warm up......

So, starting with Lowell Little's book at the beginning of the day is something I should reconsider, then? That is what I've been doing. I do get some fatigue from this, making it harder to play music later. It seems to me that the flexibility that one gets from playing lip slurs well is going to be very useful to me down the road when my endurance improves.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to what Lionel said. I also have some of my own thoughts:

I used to work out of the Colin book and found it EXTREMELY frustrating. I had the same problem you described. Some days I got the hiigh notes...sometimes I really didn’t.

The Colin book is a great flexibility book, but I’ve found I prefer the Schlossberg. It has a variety of different exercises and I find it more fun than the Colin. I don’t think it matters what book you work out of, as long as you’re having fun and improving.

Also remember improvement is t linear, so you may not hit that high c every day once you get it the first time.

Just some food for thought. Good luck!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV,

First, John Mohan gives better advice than I do.

Just the same, let me give you an account of my recent experience. I am taking lessons from Jeff Purtle (who happens to live near me). He assigned the Colin exercises. I did them and was having some trouble (okay, a lot of trouble), but thought that my approach was good and that I just needed more practice. Jeff listened to me and then demonstrated WHAT THEY SHOULD SOND LIKE when you play them and said that I wasn't putting enough air in the horn.

Now, it may sound as if Jeff's advice wasn't all that much, but in truth, the coaching of the subtleties was magic: 'Play like this. Sound like this. Put more air in the horn. You still aren't playing loud enough." The guy is really earning his pay (although, he should probably get double pay for putting up with me).

So, back to the woodshed. In trying to play as Jeff suggested and in trying to sound like him, it forced me to experiment a little with my embouchure and I had an AH HA moment. It is a little difficult to describe, but using the embouchure set up demonstrated by Charlie Porter on his You Tube video, I discovered that if I "pinned" my upper lip to my upper front teeth (that is supported my lips with my teeth more and putt less lip below my teeth and into the mouthpiece), the slurs came out perfectly. Not only that, but my endurance improved a lot. The improvement was instantaneous and dramatic. Apparently, my embouchure was a mess. I now use the new embouchure for everything and all aspects of my playing have improved (though at first I lost a little in my upper range).

Moral of the story? Get a good instructor, do what he tells you and practice your butt off.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits

First time I have been on trumpetherald in a while as I am in Canada and returning home to Australia next week.

I just read this post, well done , take credit for figuring out part of what makes the piece of pipe work! When I get home, I will give it a try , in my opinion blowing harder is just part of the process and the trick I guess is to find what works for each of us

Cheers

EricV
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with tongue levels and using syllables 1oo%. I found that some students who were having trouble,were playing too loud.Once they started practicing their flexibility exercises at a P or mp volume, their accuracy and speed started improving.
By playing too loud,they were using too much muscle trying hold their embouchure together, which made flexibility studies, slower and harder to control.
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these lip bending videos. They've helped me with my flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzaUZHAni0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSbz-GGWiA
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexibilities Reply with quote

EricV wrote:

Thanks
EricV

Eric,

Your situation was exactly equal to mine by last August. Lip Flexibilities and trills looked like a magic trick that only others could do. Now, after about 9 months or so "I have joined the club". But, it took a lot of patience and focused attention to my Skype lessons with John Mohan who has responded here. It will happen but it sounds like you need the same guidance as I did. All I can say is I never imagined that it would be something I can do and now I can. Invest in it if it really is that important to you.

DK
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knight,

Well done on Joining the club! and thanks for your comments, appreciate it.

Cheers

ericV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: