• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flexibilities

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
Dark Knight,

Well done on Joining the club! and thanks for your comments, appreciate it.

Cheers

ericV

Thank you. You will get good advice. Syllables, whistling, and tongue arch are true. But, I did not "discover" them until I could actually do them, the look back and say "oh yea, I guess that is what they were talking about.'' Learning for me always seem retrospectively after I can do something and make the connection in the "ah ha" moment. But, if you told me to do those things to accomplish the task, it would be useless for me. Slow, precise, dedicated practice with your full attention "will" produce results by discovery.

DK
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EV; Sounds like you've hit a wall with the Colin and do need some other material. Irons would be a good choice as it's more the repetitive type while Colin is long lines. You probably Have Flex on the Move but here it is, just in case:
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/flex-on-the-move/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric.. could the issue be as simple as needing to rest slightly longer between exercises? I can't count the number of times I've had to remind myself about this, and how many times it's fixed up a problem.

"Impatience is the enemy of the player"
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly. It also depends on how long you've been doing the same exercise. As a teacher I need to realize when my students have hit a brick wall with an exercise or group of studies. Then it's time to start something new and build up again.
Also a word on flexibilities in general. They are my least favorite thing to practice and also the most difficult and demanding. As trumpeters we are slaves to these studies and must do them to improve or even stay in shape. If you read my article in the last ITG (Chop Management) I mention that I never practice flex or improv on gig days because it could tire me.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EB,

Thanks for this Eric, i have been doing Colin for quite a while i have just realized so maybe time for a change and yes, i have flex on the move which is really fun to play.

Cheers
EricV
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be sure to start with the easy stuff. Follow my lesson plan. Many make the mistake of starting a program where they think they should be and don't have much room to grow. Start with the 1st study that only takes you to C.
Your inclination may be to start with the ones that go to G and that would be a mistake. Playing and practicing is a long term investment and you're not wasting time by playing the "easy stuff". You're building a new house.

Eb
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again EB will do.

I enjoyed your ITG article as well some great tips there.

Cheers
EricV
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
Thanks again EB will do.

I enjoyed your ITG article as well some great tips there.

Cheers
EricV

Hi Eric,

The reason why I am responding again is because it is really clear you need to work with someone via Skype. I have purchased some of Eric's books and watched his videos. They were/are extremely helpful and I learned a lot. I let that substitute for actual lessons with him and that was a mistake. All these suggestions are good. But, it is so different to work live with these experts because they can tune in on what you are doing and problem solve around it.

I will also support Eric's suggestion. John Mohan also got me working on Irons with the shorter phrases. The shorter, repetitive phrases, played slowly, never letting myself run out air, always resting and filling up were all helpful suggestions. Those simple, repetitive phrases are absolutely critical for establishing correct motor learning.

DK
helsinkiscott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff already said here.

I've been working on lip slurs lately. I've come to believe that the lip slur is really just an extreme version of playing over a break on the instrument.

When we play from G to G# (or C to C#, or E to F etc...) we are moving from a short instrument on a lower partial to a longer instrument on a higher partial. To achieve this several things have to change--but most importantly, the air [b]speed[/b] must increase. To increase the air speed, we need to change the ratio of the air pressure to aperture size.

I don't want to get into all the technical specifics of it, but basically, if you want to get a nice G to High C slur, first work on getting an easy an relaxed G to Ab with a easy 'click' in the middle.

If you are maintaining an even pressure in your mouth, the aperture would close a bit. And the top note should come out sounding a bit softer. If you want to maintain a consistent volume, you would need to increase pressure when moving up and decrease it when moving back to the G.

But use your ears. Make it sound nice and even, then try a whole step, minor 3rd, etc... till you get to the full lip slur.

This is a way to pre-practice lip slurs. I would start with the lower octaves first, but it helps on all of them.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To increase the air speed, we need to change the ratio of the air pressure to aperture size.

Changing the pressure will change the air speed through an aperture regardless of size. But it is nothing that you can know or measure. Simply use the air pressure required for the loudness you wish to achieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: