• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do know why one mpc feels better than another?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: How do know why one mpc feels better than another? Reply with quote

I have a late-70s Getzen Capri 590. It was purchased for me in high school. It had both a (I assume) original Getzen 5C and a Yamaha 11. I've been playing again for about two weeks using the 5C (what I used way back when), and I was having problems with notes under the staff, specifically hitting B natural/flat from a rest and going from B natural to C natural. During my lesson today, my teacher let me borrow his Bach 3C Megatone. Wow! What a difference! It was more comfortable and easier for me to play. So, my question is: How do I know WHY it feels better? The Bach mpc has a more rounded rim, a shallower cup, and, being a Megatone, more mass--I'm not sure what, if any, differences are present in the throat and backbore. How do I know which of these differences is the reason for the feeling I get while playing it?

I bought a used Bach 3C Megatone from the marketplace here earlier. I'm also thinking about trying a standard style 3C mpc, but I worried that if the extra mass was the reason, then I'm throwing money at a problem that doesn't need solved. The reason I want to try a standard mpc is because of volume. I noticed that I play the Megatone a bit louder, which makes the sound bounce back at me from my bedroom walls (it's the only place I have to practice at home).
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did playing the 3C Megatone fix the problems you were experiencing with the 5C or did the 3C Megatone just feel more comfortable?

Comfort has mostly to do with the contour and width of the rim. Why one mouthpiece feels more comfortable than another is a highly personal thing. What feels most comfortable to you might not feel comfortable to someone else. Also, the mouthpiece you feel is most comfortable will not necessarily give you the best results.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do one experiment at a time. You bought a megatone 3C because you liked it. I would stick with it for a while before trying another one. I wouldn't worry about the extra loudness, they do project a little more with that extra mass, but you can back off and take that as an efficiency gain (more sound for less effort.)
Wick 2BFL
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Did playing the 3C Megatone fix the problems you were experiencing with the 5C or did the 3C Megatone just feel more comfortable?

Comfort has mostly to do with the contour and width of the rim. Why one mouthpiece feels more comfortable than another is a highly personal thing. What feels most comfortable to you might not feel comfortable to someone else. Also, the mouthpiece you feel is most comfortable will not necessarily give you the best results.

It did help with playing the B natural/flat from a rest. The transition from B to C got better, but it's still something I will have to continue working on as I restrengthen my chops.

I realize that comfort will change from one person to another. I'm trying to figure out how to know which changes from the 5 to 3 made things better for me personally, since there were several aspects that changed.
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
do one experiment at a time. You bought a megatone 3C because you liked it. I would stick with it for a while before trying another one. I wouldn't worry about the extra loudness, they do project a little more with that extra mass, but you can back off and take that as an efficiency gain (more sound for less effort.)

That's probably exactly what I need to do. Playing softer right now is still difficult for me. The reason I brought it up was because I'm getting a weird reverb in my bedroom that I didn't have in the practice room during my lesson (I probably should've noted that in my first post.), but I should probably just take this as an opportunity to work on that as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: