• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help getting the flow of "Joy Spring"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Need help getting the flow of "Joy Spring" Reply with quote

This is something I have been working on for a while, but I can't quite get it to flow quite right. I keep ending up breaking it up into phrases, so what I need to work on is getting everything together and presentable. I can't record myself right now, but do you people have any pointers on this? My goal is to whip this out the the next jam I attend, but it has to be solid, you know. I haven't even begun to work improvising over the changes... That'll be another hurdle.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need help getting the flow of "Joy Spring" Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
This is something I have been working on for a while, but I can't quite get it to flow quite right. I keep ending up breaking it up into phrases, so what I need to work on is getting everything together and presentable. I can't record myself right now, but do you people have any pointers on this? My goal is to whip this out the the next jam I attend, but it has to be solid, you know. I haven't even begun to work improvising over the changes... That'll be another hurdle.

Are you talking about just getting the melody under your fingers? I would listen to Brownie play it and try and emulate that as much as possible (paying particular attention to the articulations).

Also, play it slowly with a metronome (aka the "little truth box")...
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing along with Brownie
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head is tricky, that's for sure, especially the bridge! If I haven't played it in a while, it's easy to goof up in a performance situation (particularly that ascending arpeggio into the bridge).

The best way to learn something is to play it VERY SLOWLY. Start your metronome (on the 2 and the 4 of course) so slowly you can play it without a single mistake, even if this is painfully slow. When you play it perfectly, then you move the metronome up 2 notches. When you play it perfectly there, move it up 2 notches. When you reach a tempo you can't play it at, STOP PLAYING IT FOR THE DAY. You're done - don't learn bad habits! Start again the next day at a tempo you can play it with no mistakes, and work it up slowly from there. You'll be at performance tempo in a few days.

Diligent, mindful application of the above method is a foolproof way to absolutely nail even the most difficult bebop heads, etudes, or whatever else you're working on.

I hope that this is helpful! Good luck, it's a fun tune!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes a stupid question...

Do you play along with Clifford's recording? That seems like the best idea, IMO.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Do you play along with Clifford's recording? That seems like the best idea, IMO.

Worth noting here that there's more than one recording of this tune, and, if I recall correctly, one (the octet arrangement) is in a different key than the version considered "standard"...
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Worth noting here that there's more than one recording of this tune, and, if I recall correctly, one (the octet arrangement) is in a different key than the version considered "standard"...

That's true . . . the album, Jazz Immortal has it in E♭, not in what most people consider the standard key (F).

Here's a youtube of it:

Link

Wow, and here's the whole album:

Link

Required listening, in my opinion. There's an alternate take of Tiny Capers also . . . I had never heard that before today, so thanks for posting and reminding me about this album! There are a couple of skips from recording it off an old LP but those arrangements and Clifford's playing are definitely immortal and timeless!
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes a stupid answer to a stupid (not really) question: No, or at least not near as much as I should. The main section giving me trouble is the bridge. Everything else is fine, but that bridge is really tripping me up.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
Here goes a stupid answer to a stupid (not really) question: No, or at least not near as much as I should. The main section giving me trouble is the bridge. Everything else is fine, but that bridge is really tripping me up.

And I'll bet it's the first half of the bridge more than the second half? The tricky thing there is the little chromatic enclosure the beat before each dominant chord...
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this one for several months now, and I had more trouble with the bridge, too. Work on it in sections, sight reading and then from memory, lots of repetition to get it under your fingers. That should help you retain it, too. I learned a lot of bebop lines years ago, and even if I don't play them for a while, they come back quickly. It helps to listen to the music a lot, to have an ear for it.

When I went to a Clifford Brown conference, I learned that he was really into playing through the Arban book. Learning Joy Spring, I can see the influence, it kind of reminds me of an etude.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolate the difficult licks, play them slowly and only to the point of non-tension. Is this rocket science?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a metronome and practicing slower is my rule.

If I were to learn how to play by playing stuff up to tempo that is easy to play but then slowing down for the trickier things, I am basically reinforcing the difficulty of the trickier things.

When I play the whole thing slowly, my fingers and mind are working together and improving at the same speed. Playing the whole thing at one tempo teaches me to play the whole thing at the same tempo, regardless of the tempo.

Back in the early 80s I sat in at a place called Natalie's at 40th & Market in Philadelphia, and the rhythm section was Don Patterson on organ and Billy James on drums. They asked me what I wanted to play, and I said "Joy Spring" and they counted it off so fast I almost missed my entrance at the top. But I had been practicing the head with a metronome and somehow "miraculously" was able to play it at their tempo. My fingers didn't seize up at the bridge.

That was quite a lesson and I have worn out many metronomes through the years. I highly recommend focused, slower practice with a metronome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: