• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Embouchure Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeymjohnson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Embouchure Issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Since December I have been playing on a Schilke 10B4 Mouthpiece for my Bach Strad. In the past month I have been suffering extreme fatigue and discomfort. I also notice that the lower range of the horn sounds terrible and fuzzy with this mouth piece but it helped me hit higher notes and the sound there was fine. I decided to try and go back to my Bach 3C, but i noticed that I have lost my range on that mouthpiece even though it feels better on my lips now. Am I just tired from overuse playing in college ensembles, lessons, practicing, etc. or did switching mouthpieces make this issue worse, is there something I should know about the Schilke mouthpiece? Help much appreciated, because I cant even play like myself anymore because it's so uncomfortable. Thanks
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbtrumpet.com
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the mouthpiece. It's you. Your range on the 3C should be the same as your range on the 10B4. It may be easier on the 10B4 but it should be the same range. Range is an embouchure thing, not a mouthpiece thing. Bill Watrous can play an easy double G on a trombone mouthpiece.

If the 10B4 is uncomfortable and is causing you extreme fatigue you shouldn't even consider it. You need to question why the 10B4 is causing you these problems. Excessive pressure? That would be an explanation and it would affect your lower range, too.

I'm with Shaft. Bbtrumpet .com. Pops will be able to figure this out.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, seek an instructor.. and your college prof. says what? Could be mouthpiece issues could be habit problems, too much playing, too little or unwise practicing... hard to tell.

Schilke rims have a soft bite, which to me have 2 primary impacts; first is less clarity of attack (you must work a bit harder to get a clean consistent articulation) and with less bite you can use more pressure, they don't dig in as much-which over time could promote the use of excessive pressure.

Schilke rims and Bach rims are pretty drastically different in shape - switching from one to the other is understandably troublesome.

There are a mutlitude of mouthpieces with slight variations that could help: Curry, Stork, Pickett, and even Yamaha But I'd suggest getting some in-person guidence in the process. If met with you I'd try you on a couple that I think are between (in shape) the Schilke and Bach.. A Curry 3C or Yamaha 14B4.

And once a mouthpoice is decided upon.. stick with it, No switching back and forth.

The issue is still with you (your embouchure), the mouthpiece may or may not be promoting habits that are causing issues.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you are in college and having lessons. That should be the place to start. If, for some reason you are having no luck, you need to look at changing that teacher ASAP.

cheers

Andy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you said “extreme fatigue and discomfort,” I think you had your answer.

Perhaps the smaller cup and tighter bore encouraged you to keep playing high notes longer and you wore yourself out. It’s hard to know without observing you during that time.

But it really doesn’t matter. Your chops are exhausted. You need to rest and recover, regardless of which mouthpiece you use. Once you’ve recovered, pace yourself so it doesn’t happen again. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you may have strained your chops by over use and this is why you're getting the "fatigue and discomfort" (aka pain). As others have said, your trumpet prof should be able to quickly evaluate your issues. Meanwhile, take it easy and rest those chops.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, what does your COLLEGE INSTRUCTOR (!!) say? Not trying to be unfriendly to a new member here, but if he or she has not been able to help with this, I would consider changing instructors before worrying about mouthpieces. As a college freshman (I was not an arrogant know it all kid, by the way), I was not at all sure that my professor for private lessons was really helping, so I changed to another, it was a good decision.

Brad
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that a mouthpiece switch is not something to be taken lightly, and results from a switch don't happen overnight - acclimating to a new mouthpiece can take weeks, and sometimes even the better part of a couple of months.

I also agree with everyone else who says that this isn't an issue that can be solved through the medium of the internet forum. You really should bring this to the attention of your college instructor.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: