• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Keyboard as Trumpet Improv Resource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Keyboard as Trumpet Improv Resource Reply with quote

I just got a Roland Juno Di mobile synthesizer and while I’m a rank beginner on keys I’m wondering how I can best use it to improve my improv skills on trumpet.

Any suggestions?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the C version of your favorite jazz standard and learn to voice the chords (plenty of online help available or an Aebersold volume usually has them) and then play the chord progression. It may be easiest to play the root of the chord in your left hand and rest of the chord in your right hand. Go really slow to begin with. Have fun.
Wick 2BFL
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
Grab the C version of your favorite jazz standard and learn to voice the chords (plenty of online help available or an Aebersold volume usually has them) and then play the chord progression. It may be easiest to play the root of the chord in your left hand and rest of the chord in your right hand. Go really slow to begin with. Have fun.

This.^^

And get Phil DeGreg's book, "Jazz Keyboard Harmony" and work through it at your own slow pace.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also Hal Crook has a keyboard/chord book out that's pretty good. Another thing you can do is play the chords in your left hand (this can just be in 'root' position, and you don't have to do them 'in time') and experiment with different scales that sound good in the right.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard as Trumpet Improv Resource Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I just got a Roland Juno Di mobile synthesizer and while I’m a rank beginner on keys I’m wondering how I can best use it to improve my improv skills on trumpet.

Any suggestions?

One disclaimer is that I think the best way to get better at jazz improv is to incorporate the jazz vocabulary (scales, patterns, style) and jazz standards (page 10 of Aebersold's free jazz handbook) into your daily practice routine on the trumpet.

After this, I think that learning the piano is a great way to improve your jazz improv skills. FWIW, piano is my second instrument (after trumpet), and I have regular gigs on the piano, usually as a piano / bass duo.

A simple option is to just learn the chords on the piano, to get the feel of the harmonic structure of the songs you're learning on the trumpet. After this, you can maybe work on playing rootless chords with your left hand while playing melodies with your right hand.

A good book is Jerry Coker's "Jazz Keyboard For Pianist and Non-Pianists". This book assumes you already have an understanding of jazz and chords, and is just meant to help you transfer this knowledge to the piano

If you're really ambitious, more challenging books I've used include Dan Haerle's "Jazz Improvisation for Keyboard Players" and John Valerio's "Jazz Piano Technique".

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great tips and resources - thanks, Doc!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard as Trumpet Improv Resource Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:

A good book is Jerry Coker's "Jazz Keyboard For Pianist and Non-Pianists". This book assumes you already have an understanding of jazz and chords, and is just meant to help you transfer this knowledge to the piano

Mike

Thanks for the rec, I just purchased. I've been meaning to study my chord voicings and based on my success with Coker's "Patterns for Jazz," I expect this to be a great resource as well.

Cheers.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already know it, learn functional theory; learn why certain chords have the construction that they do and how they move harmonically. How they move towards their tonic, which may be implied rather than obvious.

Know that many jazz or standard tunes modulate momentarily and frequently, so the scales you use are based, not always on the overall key that you're in, but on the context of momentary modulation.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just from my memory of reading the book. I have not looked it up, but as I recall, in Dizzy Gillespie's autobiography, he said that Miles Davis once said asked him how he (Miles) could get to play with such speed and complexity as Dizzy. Dizzy told him that it was his (Dizzy's) time spent on the keyboard that enabled him to get that way.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no connection between his physical dexterity and playing piano made. Miles asked him how to be a better improviser and Diz answered, "Learn to play piano", meaning the character of scales and harmonic movement.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just start banging out chords! I would start with this ii-V-I voicing and transpose it up and down by WHOLE steps. Then start over in G.
http://www.piano-play-it.com/images/Dm79-G79-Cmaj79.png

Then try some simple blues chords, always playing the root in your left hand. Try to avoid the habit of block chords, instead use the voicings above that keep the common tones with just one or two notes moving.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I might have seen it in a video, too, but I can't find it -- In person, I've heard Arturo mention that he will vizualize the piano keyboard as he imporvises.

I found that very interesting because I do the same thing, albeit with nothing close to Maestro's ability.

-Denny
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Keyboard as Trumpet Improv Resource Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

Mike

Thanks for the rec, I just purchased. I've been meaning to study my chord voicings and based on my success with Coker's "Patterns for Jazz," I expect this to be a great resource as well.

Cheers.

Update: The book arrived in the mail and I've practiced out of it a few times. It's a great resource for those that already know their jazz theory and want to jump right into comping. It's definitely NOT a resource for soloing/improvising on the piano - the focus is 100% on comping. But it really lets you get started in a hurry and I'm already able to comp over ii-V7-I progressions, albeit slowly. It's fun!

I've been using it in conjunction with the iRealPro app - just turn off the piano sound and play along with drums and bass in any key and tempo. Great!
Coolcol123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips, thanks for all the posts!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy and i believe miles were always going on about how we needed to develop some piano playing to better understand music. great subject.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just browsing through the book for Aebersold's ii-V7-1 volume today and in the back discovered a table of piano voicings for a crapload of progressions. Practicing these will help get these progression into your ear and give you some theoretical basis for learning this fundamental progression. Once you can handle these, you could then start thinking about (and practicing) the chord scales that go along with them. Then transfer this practice to the horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: