• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

D-E Piccolo Trumpet Trill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brl2833

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: D-E Piccolo Trumpet Trill Reply with quote

I use 4th valve for low D (sound 4th line D) on the piccolo. What is an easy fingering to trill to the E above that without letting the 4th valve up?

Thanks.
Carolina Crown 3C Mouthpiece
Marcinkiewicz Roger Ingram Mouthpiece
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really one...

Atleast, not one you'd want to use - you could do it 4 to 4+3 (or 4+2+1) but then you're trilling between harmonics (you'd be getting the D from the G harmonic and the E from the C harmonic) and that's something you don't want to do if you don't have to.

I suppose you *could* do it by playing that D on 4+3+1 and 4+3 for the E, but I can't for the life of my think why you'd want to...

Really, you want to be going 1+3 to 3 and not using 4th for this particular trill - it may seem a waste to have it there and not use it but it's a useful tool for some jobs, not something you have to use at every possible moment.

Last edited by TKSop on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not play the D 1+3 and use the first valve as the "trill key"?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two (2) slightly insane answers to this question.

(1) You can, believe it or not, play E 2-3-4... at least I can on my horn. So you could trill 234-4 if you wanted.

(2) This is pretty convoluted... but it's actually what I do if the trill is long. (I'm assuming a baroque trill starting on the E.) Play the E 1-2. Play the D 4th valve... with your left index finger. Meanwhile, move the first finger of your right hand to the 3rd valve. Then trill 3-4, but using fingers 1-2. It sounds nuts, but it's actually in tune.

BUT

In experimenting with this just now, I have discovered that I think 234-4 actually works surprisingly well. I would probably still start the trill with the E fingered 1-2, though.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I have two (2) slightly insane answers to this question.

(1) You can, believe it or not, play E 2-3-4... at least I can on my horn. So you could trill 234-4 if you wanted.

(2) This is pretty convoluted... but it's actually what I do if the trill is long. (I'm assuming a baroque trill starting on the E.) Play the E 1-2. Play the D 4th valve... with your left index finger. Meanwhile, move the first finger of your right hand to the 3rd valve. Then trill 3-4, but using fingers 1-2. It sounds nuts, but it's actually in tune.

BUT

In experimenting with this just now, I have discovered that I think 234-4 actually works surprisingly well. I would probably still start the trill with the E fingered 1-2, though.

It's worth reading TH just for stuff like this. I'll have to dig out my picc and try this sometime soon.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another vote for using 13 for the D and 3 for the E. It's a trill; unless the intonation is REALLY bad, you can probably get away with it. I tried Richard's 234-4 earlier tonight and it works quite well, but it seems unnecessary.
rdhaynes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, what piece?

Randall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: