• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solo pieces with mutes. Why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Solo pieces with mutes. Why? Reply with quote

Things like the Tomasi. Mute in, mute out. Mute in, mute out. This has never resonated with me - it seems like something that's done...just because it is.

You listen to a flute piece you hear the sound of the flute. Or piano, violin, cello, guitar etc.

Do you like this compositional/performance practice?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you...sometimes.

The use of mutes in Tomasi, Arutunian, etc. can add tonal colors that are not available to trumpet naturally. It allows the performer to create tremendous contrast in different musical sections. The seemingly endless amount of mutes also allow the performer to tailor their performance and really dig into what they want the work to sound like.

That said, there are times (looking at you Jolivet and ANYTHING that needs a Harmon mute for classical playing) where I do feel that it's just because. Sometimes it even comes off as a "well I heard this cool sound one time" angle from the composer and all of a sudden you're off to buy a solotone or bucket mute.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutes can have a nice effect when used correctly. The Ewazen Trio in E flat for Trumpet, Violin and Piano makes good use of mutes, and even the violin is muted at some points, though it doesn't produce the same effect as our mutes. The distant sound a straight mute gives to Legend by Enescu works pretty well, I think. The straight mute in the Stevens Sonata seems appropriate. When Mark Gould recorded Café 1930 (originally for flute!) he used what sounded like a bucket for the first part of the tune, up to the key change, and it worked well.

As mentioned, there is a wide variety of mutes available so picking the right one can mean the difference between pleasing music to play and listen to, and an annoyed performer that is not so much fun to hear.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Solo pieces with mutes. Why? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
You listen to a flute piece you hear the sound of the flute. Or piano, violin, cello, guitar etc.

pizzicato
sul tasto
sul pont
string mutes
damper pedal
soft pedal
harmonics
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically just adding to what's already been pointed out.

But I don't understand the question, anyway. Why not use different colors if they're effective? Surely you would want to have that option if it's effective.

Additionally, using flutes etc. as an example . . ever see a flute with a cup mute?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
But I don't understand the question, anyway. Why not use different colors if they're effective? Surely you would want to have that option if it's effective.

The question is whether it's effective. If you get enjoyment out of it then for you it is.

Quote:
Additionally, using flutes etc. as an example . . ever see a flute with a cup mute?

I can't say that I have.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flutes employ, a small do just about every other instrument, techniques to extend their tonal palette. Whisper tones, key clicks, etc.

We are lucky to have an array of mutes which can alter out sound and give some variation to performances... the alternative would be the sax.

Cheers

Andy
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever taken issue with accompanied solo literature that uses mutes. There have been times when I've seen unaccompanied solos where the mute changes seemed awkward. The act of stopping, fetching, inserting, then resuming can really take me out of the moment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always hated fast mute changes period...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:

I've done tons of musical theater and take pride in my expertly timed mute choreography. It's even better when you're juggling 3 different horns, plus a keyboard.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:

I've done tons of musical theater and take pride in my expertly timed mute choreography. It's even better when you're juggling 3 different horns, plus a keyboard.

Some of us are more coordinated than others.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: As A Listener/Beginner Reply with quote

From the perspective of a beginner comeback player who listens more than he performs, I like the use of mutes in classical music. I guess they fall between exotic or extended techniques and supplemental techniques in terms of accessibility to the player and the audience. The best analogy I can think of is the use of spices in cooking. Too much or too many works against the point or goal to create an interesting effect or contrast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: