• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ADAMS A4 LT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardjb98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: ADAMS A4 LT Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade trumpets and have been recommended Adams trumpets, specifically the A4-LT. I just had a couple of questions. What are your opinions of the Adams trumpets? What are your opinions of the Adams A4-LT? There are a couple options for what you can buy, and I am looking for something dark, maybe even a little mellow, but is also responsive and flexible. Is it possible to achieve all of these? I know some of this is also dependent on my chops too. Here are the options for what you can get:
Finish: just about any you can think of (lacquer, satin, gold plate, silver plate)
Bell material: yellow brass, gold brass, red brass, sterling silver
Bell thickness: .40, .45, .50, .55
Also comes with the option of a shepherd's crook.
Bell size: 5 inch, 5.5 inch
The bore size is .470
What combination is the best for what I am looking for?
Thanks in advance!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an A8. I've played an A4 and it was similar to my A8. I haven't played an A4-LT.

My A8 has the large bell made of gold brass, .45 gauge, and the horn is gold plated. It gets the biggest, most dense sound of any trumpet I own (I have over 50 trumpets in my collection).

I thought I wanted to order my A8 with a red brass bell but the A4 I played had a gold brass bell and it had the sound I wanted. I didn't think there was any sense in messing with something that I already knew worked for me.

Why do you favor the A4-LT over the A4? Based on what you say you want (dark and mellow) the A4 is a better choice and there's no problem with response and flexibility especially with the .40 or .45 gauge bell.

I love my A8 for what I do most (combo/improvisation). The short throw valves are awesome. I also have an F2 flugelhorn, red brass bell with nickel silver flare, gold plated that Adams customized for me to have braces matching those on my A8. The F2 is a great horn, too.

I recommend Josh Landress (J. Landress Brass, NYC) as the best source for Adams trumpets and flugelhorns, especially if you want truly custom features. Talk to Josh or Kevin.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are the largest Adams dealer outside of Adams themselves in the world please feel free to give us a call we easily order hundreds of horns from Adams yearly and a custom build is no problem!

781-944-6247

I also helped with the design of the a4lt personally so if you want to know about the design I am more than happy to help.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com

Last edited by TrentAustin on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are your opinions of the Adams trumpets?

I played many of the Bb and C trumpets in the Adams lineup at ITG last year. I thought that they were well-made horns; definitely worth considering.

Good luck!
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 = I’d talk to Trent.

I had an A4 SC (shepherd’s Crook) that was large bore. It was a lovely axe in every way. A tad heavier than the ‘standard’ trumpet, but not uncomfortable ... my only issue was the large bore would wear me out on long gigs (my issue, not the horn). Then I ordered a bespoke A4 LT-S with the A4’s 5.5” bell (LTs come standard with a 5” bell) that was red brass. The Shepherd’s Crook will give a bit darker sound, as does the red brass. I also opted for it in ML bore. I think the Adams ML bore on this specific model feels more ‘open’ than any other ML horn I’ve played, so it is super-flexible for bending notes and offers wide dynamic range, but doesn’t wipe me out like the L bore. I know bore doesn’t dictate air flow and sound, but I’m just stating my experience. Bottom line, Adams via Trent made me a fabulous trumpet that I dearly love in every way. Hopefully you can test play the A4 and A4 LT and make up your mind what you’ll like best.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
howardjb98

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. I favor the a4lt because of the supposed flexibility difference. I really like what I am hearing about these trumpets!
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to play both the A4 and A4LT models. I prefer a lightweight trumpet, and found I liked the A4 better for me. Better slotting and flexibility with the std. weight A4.

Find a shop with both and try them both out...
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to your overall experience in ordering an Adams trumpet that you work with the right dealer for you. My experience in 2016 in ordering my A8 varied considerably from dealer to dealer.

The first dealer I worked with was, I thought, the leading dealer of Adams trumpets. He was very nice and very helpful....until I started asking too many questions to suit him and requested specifications which were not to his liking.

For example, I requested an elliptical tuning slide incorporating an "ADAMS" brace. He said that Adams didn't do that. This surprised me because when you look at Christian Scott's custom instruments from Adams it's pretty obvious that Adams can do virtually anything. In addition, I'd seen the "ADAMS" brace in a non-elliptical tuning slide. So, I suggested to the dealer that instead of assuming Adams wouldn't put this brace in an elliptical tuning slide he actually contact Adams and ask. The next thing I knew, Adams said they could do it.

I requested that the bell be completely plain, that is, that there be no engraving or bell stamp on the bell whatsoever. The dealer responded by ridiculing my request. The dealer said that would be like ordering a Jaguar without the hood ornament. Of course, the horn would clearly be identified as an Adams by virtue of the "ADAMS" brace in the tuning slide, but that didn't seem to matter to the dealer. The dealer seemed extremely offended by my simple request.

I requested a combination brushed and high polished gold plated finish. Adams does 3D renderings so the customer can see exactly what the horn will look like when it's completed. The renderings matched my request but the dealer said it would be impossible for Adams to produce the combination the way it was shown on the 3D rendering. So I requested that the rendering be changed to show me how close Adams could come. No such rendering was forthcoming.

At this point, for reasons unknown to me, the dealer decided that I was being too difficult and told me that he didn't think I'd be happy with anything Adams made for me. This conclusion seemed to me to be without any foundation whatsoever. I was never argumentative with the dealer. It was a conclusion that must have simply popped into the dealer's imagination out of the blue.

I tried to assure the dealer that once I approved a rendering I was going to be completely satisfied with the horn as long as it matched the rendering. I wasn't going to expect Adams to do anything they couldn't do but I would expect Adams to match the final rendering. My assurance was unsatisfactory to the dealer and he continued to take the position that I wouldn't be happy with anything Adams made for me, whereupon he informed me that he wouldn't place the order for me.

It probably goes without saying that this was as strange an experience as I'd ever had trying to buy anything. My objective had been to order a custom horn. What I got instead was an argument and a serious of offensive accusations.

So I then contacted J. Landress Brass in New York City and spoke to Josh and Kevin. Nothing I requested was unreasonable to them nor was it unreasonable to Adams. I ultimately had the horn finished in all high polished gold, the "ADAMS" brace in the tuning slide was made exactly like the rendering showed and Adams had no problem whatsoever making the bell plain. In fact, they later made a custom F2 flugelhorn for me, also with a plain bell and an "ADAMS" brace spanning the forward bell crook. I had an excellent relationship with Miel Adams. He contacted me regularly with updates and photos of the progress in completing the horn. When the horn arrived I couldn't have been happier with the horn, with Miel and with Josh and Kevin at J. Landress Brass.

Miel was so proud of my horn that he posted photos on the Adams Facebook page. You can see them here:

LINK

After the photos were posted the first dealer posted the following "poor loser/sour grapes" comment on the Adams Facebook page: "Good luck with the client! " More than anything else, that comment convinced me that I'd made the right decision working with Josh and Kevin at J. Landress Brass. The dealer does, indeed, make a difference.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howardjb98 wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. I favor the a4lt because of the supposed flexibility difference. I really like what I am hearing about these trumpets!

The most important factor is the horn matching your sound concept. The A4 will match the sound concept you've described more than the A4-LT. With the .40 gauge bell on the A4 (which is the gauge recommended by Adams) there will be no deficiencies in flexibility or response.

I agree that you should play test both horns. You may find that the sound concept you've described isn't really the sound concept you prefer, at least in terms of how far the A4 goes in that direction compared with the A4-LT.

I chose the A8 because it goes the farthest in the direction of a full and dense sound. It's the biggest gun in the Adams arsenal. It's an awesome horn and the A4 comes very close to the A8.

Good luck in your search!
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
It's important to your overall experience in ordering an Adams trumpet that you work with the right dealer for you. My experience in 2016 in ordering my A8 varied considerably from dealer to dealer.

The first dealer I worked with was, I thought, the leading dealer of Adams trumpets. He was very nice and very helpful....until I started asking too many questions to suit him and requested specifications which were not to his liking.

For example, I requested an elliptical tuning slide incorporating an "ADAMS" brace. He said that Adams didn't do that. This surprised me because when you look at Christian Scott's custom instruments from Adams it's pretty obvious that Adams can do virtually anything. In addition, I'd seen the "ADAMS" brace in a non-elliptical tuning slide. So, I suggested to the dealer that instead of assuming Adams wouldn't put this brace in an elliptical tuning slide he actually contact Adams and ask. The next thing I knew, Adams said they could do it.

I requested that the bell be completely plain, that is, that there be no engraving or bell stamp on the bell whatsoever. The dealer responded by ridiculing my request. The dealer said that would be like ordering a Jaguar without the hood ornament. Of course, the horn would clearly be identified as an Adams by virtue of the "ADAMS" brace in the tuning slide, but that didn't seem to matter to the dealer. The dealer seemed extremely offended by my simple request.

I requested a combination brushed and high polished gold plated finish. Adams does 3D renderings so the customer can see exactly what the horn will look like when it's completed. The renderings matched my request but the dealer said it would be impossible for Adams to produce the combination the way it was shown on the 3D rendering. So I requested that the rendering be changed to show me how close Adams could come. No such rendering was forthcoming.

At this point, for reasons unknown to me, the dealer decided that I was being too difficult and told me that he didn't think I'd be happy with anything Adams made for me. This conclusion seemed to me to be without any foundation whatsoever. I was never argumentative with the dealer. It was a conclusion that must have simply popped into the dealer's imagination out of the blue.

I tried to assure the dealer that once I approved a rendering I was going to be completely satisfied with the horn as long as it matched the rendering. I wasn't going to expect Adams to do anything they couldn't do but I would expect Adams to match the final rendering. My assurance was unsatisfactory to the dealer and he continued to take the position that I wouldn't be happy with anything Adams made for me, whereupon he informed me that he wouldn't place the order for me.

It probably goes without saying that this was as strange an experience as I'd ever had trying to buy anything. My objective had been to order a custom horn. What I got instead was an argument and a serious of offensive accusations.

So I then contacted J. Landress Brass in New York City and spoke to Josh and Kevin. Nothing I requested was unreasonable to them nor was it unreasonable to Adams. I ultimately had the horn finished in all high polished gold, the "ADAMS" brace in the tuning slide was made exactly like the rendering showed and Adams had no problem whatsoever making the bell plain. In fact, they later made a custom F2 flugelhorn for me, also with a plain bell and an "ADAMS" brace spanning the forward bell crook. I had an excellent relationship with Miel Adams. He contacted me regularly with updates and photos of the progress in completing the horn. When the horn arrived I couldn't have been happier with the horn, with Miel and with Josh and Kevin at J. Landress Brass.

Miel was so proud of my horn that he posted photos on the Adams Facebook page. You can see them here:

LINK

After the photos were posted the first dealer posted the following "poor loser/sour grapes" comment on the Adams Facebook page: "Good luck with the client! " More than anything else, that comment convinced me that I'd made the right decision working with Josh and Kevin at J. Landress Brass. The dealer does, indeed, make a difference.

nice looking horn that's all there is to that.
to the OP i wouldn't get stuck on a particular model. visit a stocking dealer and play them all. there is an excellent chance that a different model is going to play better for you.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Blaine’s comments, he ended up influencing me with my purchase of an A4 LT w/ Shepherd’s Crook. Jake at ACB also was helpful in me finding a specific build that made sense for what I was looking for in my mind. I had played the A4 amongst many trumpets at a few different music stores, but I kept coming back to it each time. Everything just seemed easier.

Now with a Bach 37 and an A4LT I’m really experiencing the differences between two very different, but great instruments. It’s been a fun ride. So far, the A4 has wider varieties of sound, is more mouthpiece sensitive, has good slotting, but is more flexible, it is more resonant, and certain pieces are just easier to play. My entry attacks on the A4 seem to never miss, the note comes out effortlessly.

But the Bach is a Bach, and for my church playing, it’s perfect with its sound. Play everything with an open mind. The journey is often just as fun as the destination.

Here are some pics: https://instagram.com/p/Bhzh_-Wnsi-/
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com

Last edited by TrentAustin on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an A4 LT that I purchased from ACB. Both horn and company are great. The A4 LT is my absolute favorite horn and I would buy another one if someone stole it.

If you are going to the trumpet hang this Sunday, you can try it out!
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
+1 on Blaine’s comments, he ended up influencing me with my purchase of an A4 LT w/ Shepherd’s Crook. Jake at ACB also was helpful in me finding a specific build that made sense for what I was looking for in my mind. I had played the A4 amongst many trumpets at a few different music stores, but I kept coming back to it each time. Everything just seemed easier.

It’s been a fun ride. So far, the A4 has wider varieties of sound, is more mouthpiece sensitive, has good slotting, but is more flexible, it is more resonant, and certain pieces are just easier to play. My entry attacks on the A4 seem to never miss, the note comes out effortlessly.

Here are some pics: https://instagram.com/p/Bhzh_-Wnsi-/

I am so glad you love your A4 LT! Most that play my horn really like it, but since everyone is different, you just never know until you try it. Nice pictures too. Adams work is just superb!

I’ll add that I’ve purchased multiple horns from both Trent and Josh. I like working with both and have had nothing but positive experiences. It was also nice to see Trent this week in Cincinnati and play that sweet ‘copperinicus’ ACB model by Adams. It is another winner!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
The A4 LT is my absolute favorite horn and I would buy another one if someone stole it

I totally agree ... and pray that neither of us ever has that issue! I will likely buy another (brushed silver is calling me) at some point too. The only thing that I would do different would be a thicker bell ... mine has some mute marks because it is thin.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

LINK

Funny how there was only 1 like on that Facebook comment though . . .
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to put my support behind Trent Austin and Austin Custom Brass. They are the best pure and simple. I have had nothing but first class dealings with ACB (even when things can go wrong). Trent always comes through.My custom Adams flugel is superb and ACB really looked after me. There would be another side to this story ( as hinted at by Trent) for sure.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
The A4 LT is my absolute favorite horn and I would buy another one if someone stole it

I totally agree ... and pray that neither of us ever has that issue! I will likely buy another (brushed silver is calling me) at some point too. The only thing that I would do different would be a thicker bell ... mine has some mute marks because it is thin.

...I’m tempted to get one with the Shephard’s crook just for the cool factor.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
cyber_shake wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:

...I’m tempted to get one with the Shephard’s crook just for the cool factor.

SC verses regular bell = the SC is slightly darker sounding. I like that the bell is closer to my ears, which helps me hear more live and keep from overblowing.

Yes, you should get one!!!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyber_shake wrote:
+1 = I’d talk to Trent.

I sent you an email about the specs of your horn. Thanks Blaine.

Jon

I had an A4 SC (shepherd’s Crook) that was large bore. It was a lovely axe in every way. A tad heavier than the ‘standard’ trumpet, but not uncomfortable ... my only issue was the large bore would wear me out on long gigs (my issue, not the horn). Then I ordered a bespoke A4 LT-S with the A4’s 5.5” bell (LTs come standard with a 5” bell) that was red brass. The Shepherd’s Crook will give a bit darker sound, as does the red brass. I also opted for it in ML bore. I think the Adams ML bore on this specific model feels more ‘open’ than any other ML horn I’ve played, so it is super-flexible for bending notes and offers wide dynamic range, but doesn’t wipe me out like the L bore. I know bore doesn’t dictate air flow and sound, but I’m just stating my experience. Bottom line, Adams via Trent made me a fabulous trumpet that I dearly love in every way. Hopefully you can test play the A4 and A4 LT and make up your mind what you’ll like best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: