• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about Taking Lessons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Question about Taking Lessons Reply with quote

I'm beginning my journey along the road back to the trumpet after nearly two decades. I'll be taking my first lesson this coming Saturday. From what I was told, the teacher is primarily a french horn player (not there's anything wrong with that ). I'm curious if you trumpeters think this will be a problem in the long run? I'm not trying say anything negative about him. Heck, I've not even met him yet. I'm just wondering if I should look for someone who is primarily a trumpet player? I know that my teacher will be able to help a huge amount, especially with the basics. The town in which I live is smallish (only about 50k residents when the university here is in session, ~35k during the summer). There's only one music store that has ANYTHING for wind instruments, let alone offers lessons. The only other music store is dedicated to guitars. So, my options are limited, which means finding another instructor could be a problem. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart to me!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be ok, but IMO Horn and Trumpet are significantly different in setup, approach and literature... Horn is the "odd-one-out" brass instrument.

I'd be more inclined to direct you toward a Trombone player vs. a Horn if you can't locate a trumpeter.

I see nearly no one that doubles on Trumpet & Horn (and good trumpeters usually aren't great on horn).. but I see Trumpet & Bone doublers that are very successful..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were kind of my fears, but I figured at least it's a treble clef brass instrument. I know they are quite different. I played double horn and trumpet in hs. I'd think it would be closer to a trumpet than a trombone would be, but I've never played a trombone.

I may have to see if any of the faculty at the local university give lessons and talk to one of them next fall (the school year is almost over).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you never met anyone who played horn and trumpet you have now. .

Matter of fact, I played in an Air Force band for two years as a horn player and then two years as a trumpet player. Trumpet and horn in college before that. BTW, I played trombone in one of the Lab Bands my first year at North Texas, also.

It's personal, but I would much rather study with a horn player than a trombone player. I just think you move less muscles with horn rather than trombone. Horn has to deal with three valves, trombone a slide. Horn has a more comparable written range than trombone. And as an aside, I prefer much more playing in a woodwind quintet {horn) than in a brass quintet (bone).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, kehaulani. A trombone player moves a lot relative to a trumpet or horn player. The biggest difference between those two is right hand vs left hand (as far as moving the body), especially if you were to contrast a horn and rotary trumpet.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary. There are significant differences in the embochure used and the sound conception between a french horn and a trumpet. If it were me, I'd investigate getting some skype lessons with a real trumpet teacher. Just my .02 cents worth.....
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skype lessons is an option??? How does one go about finding a teacher for that sort of instruction?
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to kind of clarify. I am under the assumption that the teacher will be using a trumpet during our lessons. It's just that his primary instrument is the horn. So, wouldn't he be showing me the skills for the trumpet? My initial hesitation was due to mastery of those trumpet skills. I hope this makes sense...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can learn from any teacher, but you may max out what they can teach you faster. For me, I realized two of my big problems are intonation and timing. Both of these were helped by doing violin for a while. I was not really aware I had these problems until I did that.

At the same time, a trumpet teacher will know repertoire a lot better and as others said maybe they will be better on things like embouchure. There's a lot of debate about how good a teacher has to be as an instrumentalist. I would say go to the first lesson and then go from there. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked into the possibility of a trumpet instructor through Ball State? (perhaps even a student that is pursuing a music ed degree?)

My trumpet-specific instructor helped me work through an embouchure change, which was fundamental to un-doing terrible habits / technique I had picked up in high school and carried with me when I began playing again 25 years later. He was also able to make specific mouthpiece size recommendations for an adult player, which your Fr horn person may not be able to do.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:
Just to kind of clarify. I am under the assumption that the teacher will be using a trumpet during our lessons. It's just that his primary instrument is the horn. So, wouldn't he be showing me the skills for the trumpet? My initial hesitation was due to mastery of those trumpet skills. I hope this makes sense...

My college teacher rarely used his trumpet in lessons. Most often he ate his lunch.

Last edited by oxleyk on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to the first lesson and while you are there figure out how much trumpet they play. They may in fact have quite a bit of experience on trumpet.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how they teach. I wouldn't worry about what they play but how well they teach. In one of his books, Keith Johnson tells a story about teaching horn players in his first college job. He taught them differently (less trumpet geeky) and they seemed to progress more than his trumpet students. The point was that lots of trumpet-specific information isn't always the best way to go.

Brass instruments aren't all that different from each other. I'd go into it with an open mind.

Edited to add: Three of the dedicated forums on this site are non-trumpet playing teachers.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff, I've thought about it, but have not checkled into it at this point. The school year is over in a couple weeks. So, I doubt there'll be many left on campus. It is something I'm going to research, though.

I do plan on going with an open mind. It was only later, after having signed up for the lesson and started actually practicing and researching that these doubts came to mind. I have no doubt that I will be able to learn from him. I just wasn't sure how much i needed to worry about his specialization not being the trumpet.

The teachers at this particular music store do rotate. People come and go. I had looked into lessons some time ago, and there was an actual trumpet player who was giving lessons at the time.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:
Skype lessons is an option??? How does one go about finding a teacher for that sort of instruction?

Why don't you ask a local band director for names? You should do better that way than at a music store.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Craig S wrote:

Why don't you ask a local band director for names? You should do better that way than at a music store.

Do you mean school band directors or community band directors?
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Could be ok, but IMO Horn and Trumpet are significantly different in setup, approach and literature... Horn is the "odd-one-out" brass instrument.

I'd be more inclined to direct you toward a Trombone player vs. a Horn if you can't locate a trumpeter.

I see nearly no one that doubles on Trumpet & Horn (and good trumpeters usually aren't great on horn).. but I see Trumpet & Bone doublers that are very successful..

Just a thought, but one of the most renowned trumpet teachers, Carmine Caruso, was a sax player. Just saying.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobs, tuba; Reinhardt, trombone.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig, I sent you a PM!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: