• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning in concert pitch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: C trumpet for lead sheets in concert pitch Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a C trumpet or C cornet. Adjusting from a Bb horn just takes a little time. Put the Bb away and play the C all the time for a while.

When I read concert pitch "fake books" I use my C to do what you are suggesting.

Bb "fake books" I use the Bb horn.

Just like NIKE says ..."Just do it!"

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sound is more important than the temporary inconvenience of learning how to read concert lead sheets on a Bb trumpet. Most jazz players become skilled at reading concert lead sheets and chord changes out of constant exposure to them.
I personally do not like C trumpets. They have always felt stuffy to me, and it is nearly impossible for me to sound the way I want to. I am sure that more accomplished players can sound good playing jazz on C trumpets - it's just that I've never heard anybody do it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a euphonium player, I actually knew Bb fairly well once upon a time, but by the time I picked up a trumpet, I was using it for church work, and it had been many years since I had looked at Bb. So, I just adapted to trumpet playing a Bb but reading C.

If the parts you read are going to be in C, this works well - though if on rare occasions you have to read Bb, it can tend to mess you up a bit. I have toyed with having Robb Stewart build me an Ab slide set for my Bach (allows reading a Bb part with C fingerings), but so far have refrained from such indulgence of my poor transposition skills.

As for "breaking your ear". Yes, for someone who has perfect pitch, transposed parts can be quite disconcerting, but Bb to C is fairly close. When I play on a D trumpet - it really messes with me.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
sioul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your anwers !

The complementary points of view are very interesting , and it will help me to find my way .

Cheers !

Louis

Crazy Finn wrote:

I'm just going to guess that it was a guitar player that said this.

In france we have had quite a guitarist named Django , but he didn't read music and even didn't read at all
l'andorrano

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour Louis. You will see, it quickly becomes second nature to read a score written in concert pitch and say the names transposed to the trumpet.

'Round Midnight is written si-mi-fa-si-sol; you'll naturally say do-fa-sol-do-la and mentally add two sharps to the signature. It is surprisingly easy to develop this skill ... and infinitely useful.

S'exprimer en plusieurs langues est toujours une richesse, faut pas s'en priver !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: