• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Clarke Model Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Holton Clarke Model Cornet Reply with quote

I recently managed to pick up a Holton Clarke Model cornet in rather amazing condition from a friend that collects mostly low brass, but found this somewhere while traveling.

The valve block shows a serial number of 512xx on it, with H - C above it (presumably for Herbert Clarke?), then Frank Holton & Co, Chicago, and the serial number.

It appears to be in a correct case, with a spare set of slides, which might be for A, or perhaps High/low pitch, cleaning brush, lyre (though there's no obvious place to attach it), along with two period cooker cutter style mouthpieces.

One of the mouthpieces seems to be a perfect fit for the leadpipe and while worn, I can make out York & Sons on it, but no model. The other has insertion marks on the shank that stop well before where it inserts into the leadpipe. It appears to be a smaller shank than the York and about 1/8" longer. I suspect it's not actually correct for this horn, but maybe the owner bought it for pitch reasons when switching slides?

Also, the main tuning slide has an adjustable threaded stop rod of some kind, on the inner surface (toward the bell). Somewhat reminiscent of what you find on some models of Olds cornets, but on the back side tuning slide.

One other thing of interest, no pinky ring at all on the lead pipe. Could be something Clarke insisted upon? It does not appear there was ever one on the horn, so I doubt it was removed after it was made.

I'm curious if anyone knows much about these horns or where I can learn more about them.

Last edited by RandyTX on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am; edited 2 times in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant answer you questions specifically, but i did work on a holton clarke cornet (made a pipe or receiver or adjusted the length to get to proper pitch. cant actually remember what the issue was) and when i was done with it that thing played great, great response, pitch, ease, and sound. I was very impressed. The valves were made very well too. Not leaky at all. Great looking horn too. Totally as good as any new yamaha etc.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the opportunity to play one of these cornets. No pinky ring in silver plate. Nice looking horn. Played loud as in seriously loud but I found it to be on the harsh side. Beautiful horn though.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps notably, these two mouthpieces I got with the horn are seriously deep and funnel shaped. More so than the Flugel mp I normally use.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you’re referring to as the main tuning slide is actually the quick change to A slide the next slide in line is the tuning slide, and will actually work better as far as intonation goes
No pinky ring was common-as mute work was not
H-C stands for Holton- Clarke
The extra slides are for high pitch
The lyre mount would have been the removable strap style
Congratulations on your new cornet
Is it the straight bell tail or the shepherds crook?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
What you’re referring to as the main tuning slide is actually the quick change to A slide the next slide in line is the tuning slide, and will actually work better as far as intonation goes
No pinky ring was common-as mute work was not
H-C stands for Holton- Clarke
The extra slides are for high pitch
The lyre mount would have been the removable strap style
Congratulations on your new cornet
Is it the straight bell tail or the shepherds crook?

Wow, this is great information, thank you. I've yet to compare the slides to each other. I should do that, then be sure it doesn't have the HP slides on it currently.

I didn't realize it came in two wraps, but this one has a shepherd's crook style curve to it.
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shepherd crook wrap is on the early Clarke cornets. I think sometime in the 1920s they changed it to a straight wrap.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a serial number list online, this should have been made in 1921, so that sounds reasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: