• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Timer/Practice app?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an app that can help me organize my warmup and practice sessions a bit better. A timer app where I can plug in my whole routine and it tells me when I should move on would be perfect. One that also has a metronome would be even more perfect. I've been trying out Chris Coletti's "world's greatest warmup" app on my phone, but I can't plug my own routines into that and it's been pretty buggy for me. For a metronome I usually use EUMlab's ProMetronome, but it doesn't have a programmable timer feature that I know of. For a timer I usually use the built in iphone clock app, but it's annoying to have to go in and manually input every timer I want. Any suggestions?
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what are you timing?
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

JakeH wrote:
I'm looking for an app that can help me organize my warmup and practice sessions a bit better.

While we're on a feature quest, I'm looking for an app with a RAMAYP (Rest As Much As You Play) function.

Might look something like a chess match timer.

Gary.
JakeH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what are you timing?

I time the different sections of my warmup (breathing, lip buzz, MP buzz, long tones, etc.) because I like my warmup to be pretty consistent day to day (with regards to the focus, not the content.)
I time the breaks I take, and the practice in between so that I know when to take my breaks.

I do this partly so I know when I have to stop practicing and go do whatever else I have to do during the day, and partly so that I can take regular breaks and not wear myself out.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that this is coming from a dinosaur (me), but: is that really necessary/helpful? I ageee that rest is important, but it seems like how you feel should take precedence over minutes, am I missing something?

Brad
JakeH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Bear in mind that this is coming from a dinosaur (me), but: is that really necessary/helpful? I ageee that rest is important, but it seems like how you feel should take precedence over minutes, am I missing something?

Brad

well again I'm only really timing specific portions of my warmup unless I have something else to do that day. But sometimes I have 10 minutes to warm up and sometimes I have two hours, and being able to fit everything I want to into my warm up routine sometimes takes really precise timing. timing my rest time is helpful because I sometimes get distracted and forget to go back to playing.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
JakeH wrote:
I'm looking for an app that can help me organize my warmup and practice sessions a bit better.

While we're on a feature quest, I'm looking for an app with a RAMAYP (Rest As Much As You Play) function.

I sometimes record myself when practicing. For example, record yourself playing for 10 minutes, then play it back to critique yourself. Repeat the process throughout your practice session. If you do this, you're automatically resting as much as your playing.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason you need an app for this? Can't you just use a clock? I'm not being snippy, I'm really serious. I've been practicing for the last 50+ years and it seems pretty simple to look at the clock and think "Okay, 10 minutes for warmup" then check the clock a few minutes later. Am I missing something here?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeH wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

well again I'm only really timing specific portions of my warmup unless I have something else to do that day. But sometimes I have 10 minutes to warm up and sometimes I have two hours, and being able to fit everything I want to into my warm up routine sometimes takes really precise timing. timing my rest time is helpful because I sometimes get distracted and forget to go back to playing.

Ok. I would not be as concerned about the exact times involved, but if that’s what works for you, cool. Again, I’m from the era of windup metronomes and you-had-to-play-a-Bach-or-Schilke-or-Benge.....maybe a Yamaha....😉

Brad
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeH wrote:
I sometimes get distracted and forget to go back to playing.

This.

Gary.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of several stopwatch apps should do what you want, with even a tiny bit of self-discipline added in.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
JakeH wrote:
I sometimes get distracted and forget to go back to playing.

This.

Gary.

Yeah. I got annoyed and distracted and I think I forgot to go back to playing for about 6 years.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
Is there some reason you need an app for this? Can't you just use a clock? I'm not being snippy, I'm really serious. I've been practicing for the last 50+ years and it seems pretty simple to look at the clock and think "Okay, 10 minutes for warmup" then check the clock a few minutes later. Am I missing something here?
JakeH wrote:
...because I sometimes get distracted and forget to go back to playing.

I know I've quoted some things out of order here and snipped certain parts of quotes, but I fully agree with khedger - we already have an invention for helping us keep track of time, and it's called a clock. If you really want to get fancy, get a digital wrist watch with a stopwatch on it.

Is there an app to help players structure practice? Maybe, but Jake, I'm going to say something here, and while it may sound a bit hard or harsh, I want you to think about it and keep it in mind.

Here it is: If you don't have the self-discipline to check a watch or clock so you know how long you have practiced something, or to help you structure your practice time, then maybe playing trumpet isn't for you and you should find an endeavor that doesn't require that level of self-discipline and focus.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconds Pro Interval Timer. My former teacher swears by it. I haven’t used it in forever but it would be exactly what you are looking for, though no metronome. You could buy a physical metronome. It is originally for yoga or something like that but it works great for trumpet.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Here it is: If you don't have the self-discipline to check a watch or clock so you know how long you have practiced something, or to help you structure your practice time, then maybe playing trumpet isn't for you and you should find an endeavor that doesn't require that level of self-discipline and focus.

My thoughts exactly.

Turning to a gadget for everything is ludicrous - people have become purchase point zombies for these cell phone cartels. Another pet peeve of mine is people being dependent on a #*@&! GPS - it makes them stupid. Buy maps and study your route, know where you are. Use the GPS as a reminder not a lifeline you're dependent on.

Maurice Andre, Doc Severinsen, Maynard, Bud Herseth etc. etc. became great players without apps. Buy a metronome. Put the cell phone away and start practicing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
chriscarrillotpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Try Seconds Pro interval training app Reply with quote

Hi JakeH,

I wrote an article for ITG on this very topic in March of 2016 and have made presentations on this at several universities and conferences over the past year and a half. Here is a link from my website that includes some example templates, etc... More importantly though, you can use this app to plug in whatever works best for you. It also keeps running in the background if you use your phone for a tuner and recorder, too. You might find this helpful and please feel to contact me if you have specific questions. I'm happy to help.

Chris Carrillo
Trumpet Professor
James Madison University

http://www.chriscarrillotrumpet.com/blog/2016/3/15/article-publis
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trickg wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Turning to a gadget for everything is ludicrous - people have become purchase point zombies for these cell phone cartels. Another pet peeve of mine is people being dependent on a #*@&! GPS - it makes them stupid. Buy maps and study your route, know where you are. Use the GPS as a reminder not a lifeline you're dependent on.

Maurice Andre, Doc Severinsen, Maynard, Bud Herseth etc. etc. became great players without apps. Buy a metronome. Put the cell phone away and start practicing.

Agreed.

Maybe there is a bit of a generation gap here (people under 30 might say “generation WHAT?”). We have old guys like me who managed to make decent progress with just the horn, lessons, a metronome and method books, and younger people who literally were not on the planet prior to cyber technology.

There is nothing inherently evil about any new technology, but there are some constants that really don’t change, like self discipline, and I really can’t imagine needing an app to remind me to practice.

Look at a clock.....which is already on your smartphone.

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
JakeH wrote:

Gary.

My app for this is in my head. I always go over the exercise I just played in my head in real time before moving onto the next one.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
ghelbig wrote:
JakeH wrote:

Gary.

My app for this is in my head. I always go over the exercise I just played in my head in real time before moving onto the next one.

And I will sell you John's head for a mere $10,000, payable on delivery!

(Just kidding, John)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timer/Practice app? Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
ghelbig wrote:
JakeH wrote:

Gary.

And I will sell you John's head for a mere $10,000, payable on delivery!

(Just kidding, John)

Oh good. For a moment I was a bit frightened. Thought maybe you were collaborating with Jeff Smiley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: