• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Auditioning for Juilliard and a few other conservatories.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rileyb19

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Auditioning for Juilliard and a few other conservatories. Reply with quote

Like the title says I'm auditioning for Juilliard and a few other conservatories (Berklee, San Fransisco Conservatory, and the New England Conservatory) and I've prepped my audition repertoire well ahead of any live audition. I've come here to present my repertoire and ask for some advice on it, and perhaps any piece that you think would do better in its place.

My audition repertoire is as follows:

Etudes:
Hering Etude No. 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6i6RpTqLwg
Theo Charlier Etude No. 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0bVXJeMglI

Solo Piece:
Arban Characteristic Study No. 2

Orchestral Excerpts:
Leonore Overture No. 3
https://www.trumpetexcerpts.org/leonore-overture-no-3.html
Eine Alpensinfonie (5 measures before rehearsal 68 )
https://www.trumpetexcerpts.org/eine-alpensinfonie.html
Outdoor Overture (m.16 - m.34)
https://www.trumpetexcerpts.org/an-outdoor-overture.html

Last edited by rileyb19 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the first question is, how does your audition repertoire satisfy the individual schools' audition requirements? I think that would be the first thing to check.

Also, if you're auditioning at schools at that level you should add Rice to your list.
rileyb19

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I suppose the first question is, how does your audition repertoire satisfy the individual schools' audition requirements? I think that would be the first thing to check.

Also, if you're auditioning at schools at that level you should add Rice to your list.

The list is built for Juilliard's requirements, and meets all of them, however, I can change the repertoire in accordance to the individual schools. The repertoire is just built for Juilliard as that is my first pick/dream school. I'll defiantly take a look at Rice, its very close to home, and I'm kind surprised I didn't even consider if they had a music program. What do you think about the technical level of the pieces?
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you will get a wide variety of responses here on the TH. Take them with a grain of salt.

Your teacher should be the one with the best recommendations and input for your playing ability, goals, skill level, etc!

Good Luck!
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltkije1966 wrote:

Your teacher should be the one with the best recommendations and input for your playing ability and skill level!

Yes, this is true. I provided input giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming they've already been advised of appropriate schools for their skill level.

OP, any of the teachers at those schools will likely be able to determine your skill fairly easily on just about any literature. The only real question I have is if an Arban characteristic study satisfies the requirement as a "solo" piece. I think most people are referring to sonatas, concertos, etc. when asking for a solo work. Since you already have 2 etudes you might consider putting a movement of a sonata or concerto in place of the Arban if you have one that you play well. You should also consider Rice for more than just it's location as it's where Barbara Butler and Charles Geyer teach. Go scan through the bios of major orchestra trumpeters, marine band trumpeters, etc. and note how many studied with them. They have taught at Eastman, Northwestern, and now Rice, and have had many successful students win jobs during their tenures at all 3 institutions. Also, while your excerpt choices are nice, it might be good to have a few of the other "standards" ready in your back pocket in case they ask for them (Pictures, Mahler 5, etc.). Might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to have them ready.
rileyb19

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ltkije1966 wrote:
I expect you will get a wide variety of responses here on the TH. Take them with a grain of salt.

Your teacher should be the one with the best recommendations and input for your playing ability, goals, skill level, etc!

Good Luck!

Thank you so much, I have been in pretty common contact with my instructor for advice, just wanted a few more sets of eyes.
rileyb19

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
ltkije1966 wrote:

Your teacher should be the one with the best recommendations and input for your playing ability and skill level!

Yes, this is true. I provided input giving the OP the benefit of the doubt and assuming they've already been advised of appropriate schools for their skill level.

OP, any of the teachers at those schools will likely be able to determine your skill fairly easily on just about any literature. The only real question I have is if an Arban characteristic study satisfies the requirement as a "solo" piece. I think most people are referring to sonatas, concertos, etc. when asking for a solo work. Since you already have 2 etudes you might consider putting a movement of a sonata or concerto in place of the Arban if you have one that you play well. You should also consider Rice for more than just it's location as it's where Barbara Butler and Charles Geyer teach. Go scan through the bios of major orchestra trumpeters, marine band trumpeters, etc. and note how many studied with them. They have taught at Eastman, Northwestern, and now Rice, and have had many successful students win jobs during their tenures at all 3 institutions. Also, while your excerpt choices are nice, it might be good to have a few of the other "standards" ready in your back pocket in case they ask for them (Pictures, Mahler 5, etc.). Might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to have them ready.

I'll look into those, and thanks for the advice on the solo piece. Nothing is too terribly set in stone, so having another opinion on the solo is a big help.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Auditioning for Juilliard and a few other conservatories Reply with quote

rileyb19 wrote:

Arban Characteristic Summary No. 2

I'm not familiar with anything known as Characteristic Summary No. 2, but I am familiar with a number of Characteristic Studies.

Other than that, I agree it's probably best to have the sort of teacher that has gotten you to the point of being ready to audition decide what is best suited for your abilities as a player.
Trptguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why Berklee?
www.balabrass.org
XO Artist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: