• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece choice for player with braces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjtrumpets

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece choice for player with braces Reply with quote

Has anyone experimented with having their students use a different mouthpiece while they have braces?

The mouthpiece choice is a small part of the issue, I know. I have had students in tears when they arrive at their lesson because they can't play with their new braces, and by the end, they are back up to speed. This is because we go back time and again to what is important: Singing a beautiful trumpet sound in the imagination, and floating that sound on lots of wind. (As Arnold Jacobs said, "Song & Wind!")

Recently I discovered the Greg Black BP mouthpiece, designed for players with braces. It is roughly a 2C with a cushion rim. My wife was switched to a Schilke 15 when she got braces. All of this got me thinking:

Do any of you switch your students to a different mouthpiece when they get braces? If so, which one and why?

Cheers!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where the rim meets the braces. You have to experiment, it may be a smaller or larger diameter.

This makes a fairly good cushion.
https://www.oatey.com/2377076/Product/Hercules-Megatape
jjtrumpets

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
Trying several different mouthpieces makes sense.
Do you really use pipe tape?!? I am assuming in the mouth, over the braces. Wouldn't that taste terrible?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjtrumpets wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
Trying several different mouthpieces makes sense.
Do you really use pipe tape?!? I am assuming in the mouth, over the braces. Wouldn't that taste terrible?

There is no taste. It's made of teflon.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar to Billy's solution.

Back in my early days of teaching, some of my students came up with the idea of using crepe paper, which came in very narrow 1/4 inch rolls. They would unroll a foot or so, get it wet, and layer it over their braces. It tends to stick by itself, as there is no adhesive. There was only a mild paper taste.

Worked like a champ. It lasted for the whole band rehearsal, and they would peel it off afterwards and throw it away. It was typically only needed for two or three weeks until the lips toughened sufficiently.

Jeff
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my teaching experience I try to get the kids away from the usual Bach 7C as I find it's deep cup a bit hard to master. The Yamaha 11B4 is usually a better fit and I then try to move them up to something even bigger by 8th grade. I've recently had good results with a student with braces moving to the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece. It has a comfortable rim and a not too sharp bite. I've also recently moved a couple of my younger High School students away from their Bach 3C's into the Yamaha 14B4 with excellent results.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Back in my early days of teaching, some of my students came up with the idea of using crepe paper, which came in very narrow 1/4 inch rolls. They would unroll a foot or so, get it wet, and layer it over their braces. It tends to stick by itself, as there is no adhesive. There was only a mild paper taste.

I used thin strips of wax that I softened with warm water and pressed onto my braces. Far better than soggy paper and re-usable too.

Despite protecting my lips from the braces I still damaged my lips playing trumpet. I often wonder if would have been better off playing baritone as was suggested at the time.
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A student of mine has had good success with the Giddings & Webster Hickman rim on the size they have been playing. The Hickman rim has the high point farther out on the rim and feels wider and more of a cushioned feel.
Worth checking out.
jjtrumpets

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my student from his 7C (which wasn't working well for him anyway) onto an ACB 3C, which seems to have a more comfortable rim and seems to blow easier than a Bach 3C.

When I gave him the choice of the ACB 3C and the Greg Black BP, he chose the 3C.

I'm glad to hear all of your input, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: