• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What kind of swab do you use for cleaning?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What kind of swab do you use for cleaning?
The Best Damn Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period
38%
 38%  [ 13 ]
Hodge/Similar Trumpet Swab
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hodge/Similar Other Instrument Swab
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Brass Saver
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I Don't Use Swabs
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Bacon!!!
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

Craig S

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: What kind of swab do you use for cleaning? Reply with quote

I'm looking for an all-around swab for my horn. I want something that can be used to swab the lead pipe and main tuning slide after playing. Something that can be used either after or during cleaning. I do currently have a rubber-coated snake, but I don't like the fact that I can't get around all of the curves of the other tuning slides without worrying about scratching the inside of them. So, what do you all use and why?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Bob Reeves swab since 2004 , great quality, cheap and never had any problems.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the Bob Reeves swab. It's a good choice. But nowadays, I use the Hodge Silk Trumpet Swab.

I'm also pretty sure someone on this site make the "Best Damn" swab.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever used the ones I've gotten from Reeves. But quite recently the maker of TBDLPSP has gifted me one but I've yet to give it a go.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Home-made Reply with quote

I made my own swab using a healthy length of weed-eater line and some nylon string. I melt the weed-eater line's end to a ball, and tie on about a yard of nylon string. Half-way down the string I make a loop for threading a flannel swab (a strip from old bed linen).

The weed eater line easily snakes through anything, even a cornet. The extra length of the string, behind the loop, lets me back the swab out if it gets stuck.
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Swabs... Reply with quote

I used to use a Bob Reeves lead pipe swab until the cord broke with the swab in the pipe after a matinee...I finally got it out for the evening show but I no longer use them...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the BlowDry Brass product at the end of every day on the horn(s) that have been played that day.

The pic below is of the 2nd valve slide of my NY7 that is a little more than 1 1/2 years old and has been played and cleaned with BDB at the end of every day (2 minutes tops) It has never been cleaned in the traditional way. I do run water through it about every 3 months to keep the water key openings clear.

The BDB does require a very clean environment to begin with, so regarding my older horns, I spent a few hours cleaning those to the best of my ability before beginning the BDB program on them. I did have my '71 Benge chem cleaned at Osmun by James Becker recently along with a complete Valve Job, and plan to continue the BDB on that horn as well.

I know that a lot of people don't want to go through all of that, but all I can say about BDB is that it really works for me.

Kind Regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Yamaha trumpet leadpipe and tuning slide swab. Most microfibre swabs are thick and the weights on them prohibit them from going through the tuning slide (and other slides for that matter). The hodge silk ones are good (they changed the weight on them at one point, which was annoying) but I find silk is absorbent to a point before becoming too wet. Apart from being fairly inexpensive, the Yamaha one has lasted ages, multiple horns, and does all I need.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Best, of course!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

Just this past Sunday, I finished a 2-week run of a musical and I found out that my 2nd trumpet has been a proud owner and user of TBDTLPSP! for 11 1/2 years. She purchased 2 not long after we started selling them. In fact, she has swabs 32 & 33...both of which she still uses on regular basis.

(No, they're not numbered - I keep a sales log with name, date of sale, amount purchased, etc.)

Anyway, to be expected, the cords had stretched a bit (comes from regular use), and the material had darkened a bit (also comes from regular use).

But after 11 1/2 years, they were still going strong with no sign of stopping any time soon.

Other products that people pay a LOT of money for and get only ONE...gee...you can buy an entire jar of them (16 per jar) for under $5 and get the exact same thing. Plus, once you blow them through, your breath has moisture, so the "dry" part...not so much so.

Just sayin' ya know?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Spitballs. Fond memories of being in junior high school and when those things first showed up. I'll never forget kids stuffing them into horns that had NEVER ever been cleaned and the unholy, terrible, disgusting discharge that exploded onto the floor, or worse, the back of the clarinet players head. Good times.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish I could find one that was long enough to work on my flugel. I don't know if it's the wrap or something to do with flugels in general, but it collects gunk faster than the next three horns I can think of combined.

If I got something like a spitball stuck in there, I'm not sure I could even get it out again. I end up doing the bathtub soak and rinse quite frequently instead.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I just wish I could find one that was long enough to work on my flugel. I don't know if it's the wrap or something to do with flugels in general, but it collects gunk faster than the next three horns I can think of combined.

We experimented with a "flugel-length" swab but sadly, the drawbacks were greater than any advantage it might have given. For one thing - the extra length of the cord increased the chances of tangles and knots when you store it.

The only style of valve cluster that it came close to working on was a straight-thru cluster.

As to Spit Balls (that I use whenever I give a horn a complete cleaning) - I've never had a problem with them getting stuck. The secret is to put one in the lead pipe then push it down a few inches with a pencil or mouthpiece back bore brush (that gives some space to build pressure behind it when you blow) and then blow hard - it'll go thru.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also make my own, using "seine twine" from Wal-Mart and gun cleaning patches. I tie a lead fishing line weight to one end and shake it through the horn. To hold the swab, I make a loop in the other end. Don't use too big a swab, as it can get stuck. Try running it through one of the removable slides before you run it through other areas. The idea of tying a string behind the swab is a good one. You can make flugel-length swabs this way, also. I have been doing this for years without problems.

For lead pipe cleaning after playing, a gun cleaning rod kit works well. You may also use brass gun cleaning brushes with these to remove corrosion and debris on neglected instruments. I also have a couple of "tube brushes" with long handles and nylon bristles to clean lead pipes. The 3/8 or 5/16 inch sizes work great! These are quite hard to find these days, though. The 1/2 inch sizes seem to be the most common, at least in my area. You might try a radiator shop or an automatic transmission repair shop or supply house to find one, or any business that has to brush out tubes of any sort.

Unless you are a kid, Spitballs are a waste of money. Just flush it out in the kitchen sink using the sprayer hose!
Craig S

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, thus far! I appreciate all of the input. Please, keep them coming!

I do have a question: I have seen the post from several years ago of your thoughts, Tim, on the Brass Saver and Bob Reeves' swab, but what makes Tim's swab so much better than the alternatives?
Craig S

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, those of you who make your own and use lead weights, aren't you afraid of lead poisoning? Yes, lead it softer and less likely to cause damage to your horn, but isn't it probable that a small amount of lead would be left behind which you then inhale?
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what makes Tim's swab so much better than the alternatives?

The swab is built like Sherman tank. The chamois works better than any of the alternatives. It's the perfect tool for the job and lasts forever.

In fact, thanks for the OP. You reminded me to buy a couple more to put in the cases of my new horns.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our material is sewn on, not clamped like Reeves. That clamp can scratch the inside of the pipes.

Our cord is long enough to be pulled thru the tuning slide AND lead pipe at the same time (eliminates having to re-grease the slide).

The Reeves cord can do only the tuning slide or the lead pipe alone, not both at once.

The weights are INSIDE the cord (kinda hard for lead to get thru the material), not tied on like the Reeves.

With the weights being inside the cord, the cord provides a bit of cushion, should the weights knock against the horn body.

The THREE weights (not one like Reeves) are separated so that it’s easier to work them around tight curves like the 1st 2nd & 3rd valve slides.

Every Reeves swab I had - the material either pulled off or the cord broke. Early on we had a few instances of the material tearing off the cord (that was from over-stitching the material, an issue we fixed), but the material never got stuck in the lead pipe like it did one time for me with a Reeves swab.

And I’ve already posted about the longevity of use of our swabs.

The Brass Saver only spreads moisture - it’s doesn’t have any absorbing capacity.

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the spitball and similar products may help clear light debris and if you use alcohol then it could sanitize a bit. I wouldn't think that they would be particularly effective at drying.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and use Tim’s swabs, IMO they work VERY well, and really last a LONG time. Using them after every playing really helps keep the horn clean.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: