• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I did it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmatazz

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: I did it Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to my local music store thinking I was going to pick up one of those plastic trumpets. I wanted to give trumpet playing a shot and I liked the price of those plastic trumpets when compared with the regular ones they had on display. As I was waiting to be helped, I noticed a used Yamaha that was on display away from the other trumpets so I hadn't noticed it before. I asked to see it and gave it the once over. It was in pretty good shape and the gentleman who was helping me demonstrated that all parts of the horn operated properly. I picked it up for not much more than the plastic trumpet would have set me back. The music store employee confided in me that the plastic ones aren't that great. I feel like I dodged a bullet by finding my Yamaha.

I did it. I bought a trumpet.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff - welcome (to the forum and the world of playing )
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the dark side.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I did it Reply with quote

Jazzmatazz wrote:
Yesterday I went to my local music store thinking I was going to pick up one of those plastic trumpets. I wanted to give trumpet playing a shot and I liked the price of those plastic trumpets when compared with the regular ones they had on display. As I was waiting to be helped, I noticed a used Yamaha that was on display away from the other trumpets so I hadn't noticed it before. I asked to see it and gave it the once over. It was in pretty good shape and the gentleman who was helping me demonstrated that all parts of the horn operated properly. I picked it up for not much more than the plastic trumpet would have set me back. The music store employee confided in me that the plastic ones aren't that great. I feel like I dodged a bullet by finding my Yamaha.

I did it. I bought a trumpet.

I rarely say "always." But a player or prospective player who shops properly with the proper advice will always find a slightly used instrument of a reputable make and model for the same price as a new P-trumpet.
Jazzmatazz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind welcome.

The Yamaha was a little more expensive than the plastic trumpets but from what I've read it was quite worth it.

Cheers!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reasons that I cannot explain, I picked up the trumpet again about two years ago. This is what I have learned:

- You can learn how to make a sound on your own, but if you want to play well enough for people to enjoy listening to you, you really need to take lessons.

- I have only ever had one teacher, Jeff Purtle. I don't think that I will ever need another. His prescribed exercises have been magic.

- But while lessons are indispensable, practice is the key. Lessons without serious practice aren't going to get you anywhere. I have only been able to manage two hours a day. Starting out brand new, you probably only want to do maybe two 15 minute sessions a day. But as your embouchure develops, you need to work up to at least 2 hours. 4 would be better and that is what I am trying to work up to. The more you practice, the faster you progress. The faster your progress, the greater your enjoyment. The greater your enjoyment, the greater your motivation. The greater your motivation, the greater your chances of success.

The trumpet came to me rather naturally. That was deceptive. Even though the trumpet has been easier for me than that average Joe, I have discovered that to play well requires patience, dedication and a lot of hard work. It isn't going to happen overnight and it isn't going to happen without a lot of work.

Enjoy the journey.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Jazzmatazz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grits. Great advice. I will take it to heart.

Cheers
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 - 4 hours a day is not realistic for a non-student or non-professional.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

It's doable without a TV, or a social media addiction.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

It's doable without a TV, or a social media addiction.

Randy, I think the term you are looking for is recluse.

Two hours maybe, but to get in fours hours, with a full time job or full time student, would mean most of the day is gone.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Randy, I think the term you are looking for is recluse.

...or retired.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: I did it Reply with quote

If you are reading this, yes, you have been seduced by the dark side of the force. Trumpet playing is like golfing. Perfection is totally elusive, but the pursuit is so enjoyable. I bought a P-trumpet just to see what they were like and you made a wise decision. Any beginner brass horn will give you the best opportunity to learn and progress. Find someone good that give you lessons and help you progress. If you enjoy a challenge and enjoy learning then Trumpet playing will suit you just fine. You will meet many fine people along the way, also. Best of Luck Brian
Jazzmatazz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I did it Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
If you are reading this, yes, you have been seduced by the dark side of the force. Trumpet playing is like golfing. Perfection is totally elusive, but the pursuit is so enjoyable. I bought a P-trumpet just to see what they were like and you made a wise decision. Any beginner brass horn will give you the best opportunity to learn and progress. Find someone good that give you lessons and help you progress. If you enjoy a challenge and enjoy learning then Trumpet playing will suit you just fine. You will meet many fine people along the way, also. Best of Luck Brian

Thanks Brian. I appreciate your kind words.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did the right thing. The only potential reason to get a plastic trumpet is if it's some environment where colorfulness counts more than sound - and maybe you *want* a bad sound for some reason - I'm thinking like a clown band in a parade or at a theme park. Plastic trumpets exist to appeal to the part of people's brains that motivates them to hand over money for a novelty.

"Hey lookit this - cool - it's plastic and it plays....after a fashion."

For any serious effort at making music there's no justification to get one. There are a number of videos of really strong pro players playing one - every one of them sounds like a plastic trumpet. I've never heard any of them say "it sounds as good as my brass instrument". In a video that Alison Balsom did that I'm sure she was paid to do she hilariously avoids saying *anything* about the sound. Or if she did it was edited out.

People who say things like "they're great for kids" have their head in the wrong place. Those who are learning need to have an instrument that's capable of sounding good in the feedback loop, not something they're going to be struggling against because it's can't be made to sound the way a real trumpet can sound.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: I did it Reply with quote

I just had to respond one more time on this topic. I bought a p trumpet and now it occupies space on the bedroom floor, but I do go to YouTube occasionally to watch Alison Balsom preview the P Trumpet in her home. She could make 3 feet of garden hose sound good, and I still don't care for the plastic much, but Alison is sooooo attractive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: