• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Daughter starting band... on flute or clarinet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Daughter starting band... on flute or clarinet Reply with quote

So good news/bad newd:

The good? Daughter is going to join band and will be picking out her instrument next week.

The bad? Trumpet isn’t on her short list

So, with that, I’ll likely be shopping shortly. And I know jack about either. We are thinking about perhaps a (very short term) lease to make sure she likes it, then buying her a decent used student model. Any advice on brands for either? Things to watch out for?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her that she can't choose trumpet because she is just a girl.

If she agrees with you, then flute or clarinet it is.

If she gets very irritated, there may be hope yet.

Jeff
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! That's a good idea! And show her some YTs of Ingrid Jensen!
Www.LexSamu.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Tell her that she can't choose trumpet because she is just a girl.

If she agrees with you, then flute or clarinet it is.

If she gets very irritated, there may be hope yet.

Jeff

I would start by enthusiastically congratulating her for choosing a girl’s instrument. One that girls can play, unlike other instruments.

Then bring up the trumpet.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, my condolences. seriously, get her a flute with a solid silver head joint. better tone and easier response for most players. many also prefer the open hole models. get her a jeweler's screw driver set and teach her to adjust the flute herself.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with flute, I would be happy she wants to play music!

Encourage her choice and remember, she can always start trumpet later!

Yeah, I did that!
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the “girl Instruments”/trumpet - I’m not going to try and force her into trumpet. If she wants flute, she can play flute. I am happy that she wants to make music; how she makes it is less important. Only real advantage is that dad can help her a little bit, and she doesn’t need to rent.

Although it might be funny to send her on day one with a flugelhorn, just to see people’s reactions.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still help a lot! Breathing technique is still just as important, and reading music/music theory is still the same!

Get yourself a C trumpet and play duets!

Yeah, I did that!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flute's an absolute gas. I have known two other players as well as myself, who switched to flute and became absolutely fanatical about it.

One player, a long time university professor, was a trumpet role model for me in H.S. He also played in the Northwestern U. Jazz Band. I was surprised to find out, recently, that he had switched to flute, playing unceasingly. I, myself, switched at first to flute and played it every day. Loved it.

(p.s. if you're interested I will sell you a like-new Azumi flute (Altus head joint) I bought new and it actually, because of health reasons, got very little playing. Killer horn. PM me if interested. http://www.azumiflutes.com/)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri May 04, 2018 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvknight415 wrote:
For the “girl Instruments”/trumpet - I’m not going to try and force her into trumpet. If she wants flute, she can play flute. I am happy that she wants to make music; how she makes it is less important. Only real advantage is that dad can help her a little bit, and she doesn’t need to rent.

Although it might be funny to send her on day one with a flugelhorn, just to see people’s reactions.

My comment had nothing to do with "forcing" anything.

Kids her age typically have no strong desire in any direction. They respond mostly to peer pressure, real or imagined, as they have no frame of reference to make a clear decision.

You yourself said that it could be flute or clarinet. If she had said that he sole goal was to play the flute, I would not have responded.

The last beginner student I started was despondent that he was not allowed to play drums (like his friends), and was telling his parents that he wanted to quit. I could see that he was malleable, so I started making casual remarks to him designed to "encourage" his appreciation of trumpet. It went as planned. His is now fully on board with the trumpet, having great success, and thrilled with the instrument.

I didn't force anything. I just led him where he wanted to go.

Jeff
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice so far on flute. I've taught middle & high school band for the past twelve years and this is what I prefer to see (when I can convince parents that Mendini is junk):

Flute - Get open hole with plugs. Once a good tone is established, start removing one plug at a time. Ask your local repair tech which ones are easiest to adjust. Jupiters have fewer adjustment screws. Spend time on just the headjoint producing a Concert A.

Clarinet - Start with a plastic model, if the band director allows, and a Fobes Debut mouthpiece with Rovner Dark ligature. If she takes to the instrument and continues into high school keep the plastic one for marching and get a nice wooden instrument for concert band. At some point, look into upgrading to a Vandoren mouthpiece.

Like trumpet, Yamaha is always a safe bet. Many of the traditional American brands offer good models too (Gemeinhardt, Selmer, Leblanc, Armstrong).

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627: several years ago I a few students on a Fobes 4. is that still around? I mostly started clarinets on the vandoren b45 or cheaper artley a45 copy mouthpieces. They always worked well.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
mafields627: several years ago I a few students on a Fobes 4. is that still around? I mostly started clarinets on the vandoren b45 or cheaper artley a45 copy mouthpieces. They always worked well.

I don't see the 4 on the Fobes site. The B45 sure is a great mouthpiece, but they're $85 from Woodwind & Brasswind. I'll look into the Artley and see if it's still out there. Thanks for the tip!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be glad she is interested in playing anything, nothing whatsoever wrong with flute or clarinet. I used to double on flute (albeit nothing spectacular by a long shot), I thought it was a fun instrument, which can be very versatile also.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't tonguing on the flute similar to tonguing on the trumpet? Encourage flute over clarinet so she has an easier time switching to trumpet once she sees the light.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she enthused about either instrument? If she digs flute introduce her to

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzungWH0cCb8ncKupIL7og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_EUmyxUF8

for clarinet introduce her to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlcOloDQaFE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: