• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer London Made in France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Selmer London Made in France Reply with quote

There aren't a lot of used instruments around so I look at them just out of curiosity. This Selmer just popped up in the last week:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21817957097286

Does anybody know anything about it? It looks like it's in reasonable shape and comes with a mouthpiece. It's selling for $200. There aren't great repair shops here. I thought it might be a possible 2nd trumpet for my son. Curious to hear thoughts...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Selmer Paris experts? It's not balanced and doesn't seem to be the K modified. No tuning slide brace, the bell is pretty plain, and the pinky ring looks plain. A lightweight model? Grand prix? It looks kind of like Bundy to me, but that was only the US line, right? Maybe I should ask about the serial number or any other marks?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Selmer London Made in France Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
There aren't a lot of used instruments around .

There are a ton of used instruments around. Do you need a list of where to look?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link doesn't load for me, I get an error message.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me Finn. It's in Japanese but the photos are in a neutral language.
Try again, maybe it was just a fluke.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's often $100 to ship from ebay and there are import taxes on top of that, so shipping from abroad is expensive. In reading here a lot of folk are fans of the Selmer Paris line. I was hoping someone might be able to say "that looks like their student line from the 80s" or "that's a grand prix."
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Works for me Finn. It's in Japanese but the photos are in a neutral language.
Try again, maybe it was just a fluke.

It's working fine for me, now. Maybe it was my browser or device or network.

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I was hoping someone might be able to say "that looks like their student line from the 80s" or "that's a grand prix."

Well, my $0.02 is that it doesn't look particularly Selmer-ish. The engraving looks close, but Selmer-Paris horns have certain design touches that are distinctive. For one, the bottom caps screw into the bottom of the valves rather than over them - as in the threads are in the inside of the valve casing and the outside of the caps. Most other horns are opposite of this. Also the top caps should be more low-profile and recessed, and these are very standard - like a Yamaha student horn.

Also the receivers are usually much heavier and distinctive, usually with something designating a model engraved on it. This has no writing and a much more streamlined receiver.

The valve block might have a little of the details right, but frankly, it's hard to tell.

The spit valves usually have little cups on the lever with a felt pad on it where it could make contact with the slide.

Frankly, if you couldn't see the bell engraving, it wouldn't have occurred to me that it's a Selmer-Paris trumpet. It just looks like a generic student horn - and I don't think Selmer Paris made generic "student" horns, at least after the 60's - which this is not from, because those design elements would be very prominent.

Compare it on Google images to Selmer models like the Radial, K-Modified, Deluxe, B700, Sigma, Concept TT, and Chorus. It doesn't resemble them at all.

Makes me wonder....
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass on it. I was hoping it might be a playable vintage pro trumpet, but it sure looks student instrument-like. Thank you to

In high school I was kind of a "go with the flow" player and it was pre-internet. I followed an older brother, happily moving from Bundy to Blessing to Bach. This time around, and living in Asia, it's been interesting because there are often used instruments here that languish (I think it's a cultural view about buying used). I've been really pleased with what I found so far, although it's eclectic. (For instance, there's exactly one Taylor on this site and also a Yamaha C that have been sitting for several years.) Even my flugabone is quite playable and has helped introduce me to trombone, doubling, bass clef, etc.

This is roundabout way of saying thank you to all of you who help those of us who are new figure things out. One area I've been especially grateful is for the deep archives here where most searches will turn up something. Thanks to Crazy Finn and kehaulani for giving it a look.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the images I have gleaned it bears a lot in common with the Selmer Cadet. Selmer London sourced instruments from a number of different sources.

Regards, Stuart,
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following up on this because I saw another "local" Selmer listed for around $100. It's also a Selmer London made in France. The receiver looks like a Selmer receiver. It has one brace, the pinky hook looks generic, and the number 165 is engraved on the 2nd valve. The 3rd valve has both a fixed ring and also a lyre holder.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/189065305880636/

Any Selmer experts? It looks kind of Bundy-like to me? If it had the promise of ambassador-like sturdiness I might be tempted to get it, just for fun.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 1952 Selmer Paris and a 1959 K-Mod model. The only thing that closely resembles my two horns is the receiver and even that isn't exact. The bottom valve caps, the tops, the water key levers, the pinkie ring are nothing like my two Paris made horns. If it really was made in Paris for Selmer London then it must be some kind of special model, possibly a student model. It's pretty damn plain looking compared to my fancier designed Paris Selmers.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--that's helpful. I think in another thread I saw Selmer London was basically a stencil, sourced from other places. This is a pretty plain looking trumpet. Trying to decide whether it's worth the trip to check it out, and sometimes I feel bad not buying.

I think this is a different Selmer London than the first one I saw. I'm in East Asia, so it's very possible there was a Selmer line sold here, and it probably is student level I saw the receiver and fixed 3rd ring and got hopeful.
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say that it was made in France by Selmer Paris... Could be any other French maker stenciling a student horn for Selmer London who also happened to have the right to use the Selmer Paris stamp...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody played a London Selmer? Were they universally student trumpets?
tom pennell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: London Selmers Reply with quote

I have a London Selmer Invicta. Fine print on the bell says "foreign", beyond that C of O is not identified.

Is it a student horn, probably, but it plays well enough and it is a well constructed instrument.
Regards Tom
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant see the photo but the London Selmers were made by Bohn=m and Meinl or Bolland and Fuchs. In the 50s there were very high trade tarriffs on US made instruments so these were popular. The Invicta was a mid range model and the Sterling was the top of the range instrument and really quite good. I have one but the bell is crushed. Hanging onto it in case anyone ever asks for spare valve caps!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Gordon, thank you for the follow-up. This doesn't seem to be either an Invicta or Sterling. It does look like it could be 50s-80s. I am guessing these were either imports from Europe or made and sold in East Asia as a student trumpet. For $100 was strongly tempted to buy it, but I'm already taking up too much apartment space with my trumpets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: