• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Things I've Learned While Lurking Here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Things I've Learned While Lurking Here Reply with quote

Hello. First post after lurking for many months. I've learned a lot from this site, including the following.

1. There are some posters here who REALLY like Claude Gordon. There are some posters here who REALLY like Jerry Callet. It doesn't appear to me that the twain will ever meet.

2. The standard fare advice to a lot of questions is "Get a Teacher." It's very good advice, no matter how often repeated.

3. Tim Wendt's product really is the best damn trumpet swab around. No puffery there.

4. There are some posters here who prefer Al Hirt to Miles Davis. The opposite is also true. Indeed.

5. As long as it's taken me to make a first post, I'm not sure how long it will take me to get five. I didn't join to be able to sell things on the Marketplace, although I have purchased a couple of things there. Eventually, I'll likely attempt to sell something there, and I'll try to be prepared for the inevitable members who will jump in and say, "See, he got his five posts and now something of his shows up in the Marketplace."

6. There are some teachers with very good credentials offering lessons online, and many of them post here with some regularity Growing up in a small, rural community, it never remotely crossed my mind that there were private trumpet teachers out there. What you learned in high school band and struggling through Arban's with no help was pretty much it. Today, assuming one is financially able to afford private lessons, and that one has 30 minutes or so once a week for the session, competent instruction is available to more people than ever before regardless of geographic location.

7. There are some great craftsmen in various parts of the country who can repair or modify trumpets at the highest level of workmanship. Before I started visiting this site, I'd never heard of "blueprinting" or having a valve alignment. I've learned here that things I don't like about certain trumpets can actually be fixed, or at least made more to my liking, with a trip to a good repair technician.

8. YMMV. If ever there was a bit of internet language that applied to playing the trumpet, YMMV is it.

I'm looking forward to more revelations, and contributing comments when I feel like my experience is worth sharing. The rule of our home has always been that we don't break the silence unless we feel we can improve on it, but perhaps there will be a thread or two where I can bring something to the table.

Marc Speed

Last edited by Speed on Thu May 10, 2018 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I've Learned While Lurking Here Reply with quote

Long overdue: Welcome!

Thank you for posting this list. I got a chuckle out of it but it did sum up some important points.

I think the following rule, while not something you learned here on TH, is something we all could benefit from following:

Quote:
The rule of our home has always been that we don't break the silence unless we feel we an improve on it...

But, because we are trumpet players, it goes against our nature!

I hope to see more posts from you.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting post, Marc. It also gave me a chuckle. Hope to hear more from you.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first post. Welcome to TH!

Jim
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. To top it off, I got an email from Steve Winans at Dr. Valve saying my trumpet was ready, and that he was able to fix it without a full valve rebuild. That provides a good example to what I referred to in my original post - I'd have never heard of Dr. Valve without TH.

Dang, Steve, where were you when my dad backed the car over my Olds Mendez back in high school?!?

Marc Speed
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - must have been lurking for a long time, you pretty much nailed it!

Trumpet Herald is a great place to learn lots of grossly incorrect information about playing the trumpet. However, like the rest of the internet, there are some really helpful gems in here if you're able to sift through all the beginners posting like they're experts and ignore all the bad attitudes.

Cheers!
2many5s

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Things I've Learned While Lurking Here Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
Hello. First post after lurking for many months. I've learned a lot from this site, including the following.

1. There are some posters here who REALLY like Claude Gordon. There are some posters here who REALLY like Jerry Callet. It doesn't appear to me that the twain will ever meet.

2. The standard fare advice to a lot of questions is "Get a Teacher." It's very good advice, no matter how often repeated.

3. Tim Wendt's product really is the best damn trumpet swab around. No puffery there.

4. There are some posters here who prefer Al Hirt to Miles Davis. The opposite is also true. Indeed.

5. As long as it's taken me to make a first post, I'm not sure how long it will take me to get five. I didn't join to be able to sell things on the Marketplace, although I have purchased a couple of things there. Eventually, I'll likely attempt to sell something there, and I'll try to be prepared for the inevitable members who will jump in and say, "See, he got his five posts and now something of his shows up in the Marketplace."

6. There are some teachers with very good credentials offering lessons online, and many of them post here with some regularity Growing up in a small, rural community, it never remotely crossed my mind that there were private trumpet teachers out there. What you learned in high school band and struggling through Arban's with no help was pretty much it. Today, assuming one is financially able to afford private lessons, and that one has 30 minutes or so once a week for the session, competent instruction is available to more people than ever before regardless of geographic location.

7. There are some great craftsmen in various parts of the country who can repair or modify trumpets at the highest level of workmanship. Before I started visiting this site, I'd never heard of "blueprinting" or having a valve alignment. I've learned here that things I don't like about certain trumpets can actually be fixed, or at least made more to my liking, with a trip to a good repair technician.

8. YMMV. If ever there was a bit of internet language that applied to playing the trumpet, YMMV is it.

I'm looking forward to more revelations, and contributing comments when I feel like my experience is worth sharing. The rule of our home has always been that we don't break the silence unless we feel we can improve on it, but perhaps there will be a thread or two where I can bring something to the table.

Marc Speed

Add number 9. You can almost always sell a horn for $50 if you are willing to pay shipping!! Homebilly historically chimes in with some of the best posts...
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when reporting a first-hand revelatory improvement at least one person will argue that you are mistaken.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that it's Verboten to ask for a chart to a jazz tune! You should always transcribe it yourself!!!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silence in my house is deafening. Speak up or forever hold your mouthpeace.

It's a goofy community, but you know that already.

ed
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of the people whose advice and opinions I consider valuable. This list is very incomplete:

Tony Scodwell - accomplished player, has played for Doc, Stan Kenton, has a line of horns. Doesn't fall in love with every horn he plays.

Doug Meewusen "lipshurt" - horn tech, mouthpiece maker, educator

Brad Goode - professional player

Tom Mohan - (former?) pro player, intelligent, helpful. Kanstul makes a signature mouthpiece for him.

Trent Austin - has sampled hundreds of horns. Monster player. Very nice guy. Has a shop. Has either designed or given specification for new horn designs.

Flip Oakes - wonderful player and person. Creator of the Wild Thing, Celebration, Legacy trumpets, cornets, flugels. The only thing is he stays out of the world of opinons and advice, and concentrates on his art and craft, and building relationships.

Craig Swartz - pro player and teacher. A lot of experience and wisdom in both.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Here are a few of the people whose advice and opinions I consider valuable. This list is very incomplete:

Tony Scodwell - accomplished player, has played for Doc, Stan Kenton, has a line of horns. Doesn't fall in love with every horn he plays.

Doug Meewusen "lipshurt" - horn tech, mouthpiece maker, educator

Brad Goode - professional player

Tom Mohan - (former?) pro player, intelligent, helpful. Kanstul makes a signature mouthpiece for him.

Trent Austin - has sampled hundreds of horns. Monster player. Very nice guy. Has a shop. Has either designed or given specification for new horn designs.

Flip Oakes - wonderful player and person. Creator of the Wild Thing, Celebration, Legacy trumpets, cornets, flugels. The only thing is he stays out of the world of opinons and advice, and concentrates on his art and craft, and building relationships.

Craig Swartz - pro player and teacher. A lot of experience and wisdom in both.

You forgot Turkle. The guy is a fount of wisdom.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepest apologies
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have gotten a little perspective into the Claude Gordon vs. Jerry Callet thing I mentioned - tongue in cheek - earlier.

My teacher is a Claude Gordon guy. I have always had a lot of lung power,. I never had to work to develop it. I have always liked very open trumpets with low resistance. I put a lot of air through the horn. I tend to like mouthpieces with very open backbores, like a CG-P or a Warburton 12 backbore. I'm probably just the opposite of an "efficient" player.

Yesterday, I was talking with a very experienced trumpet player who was asking me exactly what it was that I liked about one of my instruments, which is a big bore, very open trumpet, and he readily admitted that it was not his cup of tea. When I told him that the thing that first attracted me to it was its reputation for a very open blow, he said he looked for exactly the opposite.

He had come to prefer trumpets with lots of resistance because he DIDN'T put a lot of air through the horn, particularly as he got older. He had learned to compress the air efficiently and use a pretty shallow mouthpiece. His favorite trumpet/mouthpiece was something I would hate, just as mine was something he'd never like. Both his and mine are thought of as high quality instruments from major manufacturers.

So here's another thing I have learned here: some of us like really open blowing trumpets, and some of us like trumpets with a lot of resistance. That is DEFINITELY a "the twain shall never meet" thing.

Which group you fall into MAY depend on a purely physical characteristic, i.e., your ability to easily put a lot of air through the horn. Certainly it's accurate to say that one approach is not better than the other, but merely different.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I've Learned While Lurking Here Reply with quote

Speed wrote:
. Eventually, I'll likely attempt to sell something there, and I'll try to be prepared for the inevitable members who will jump in and say, "See, he got his five posts and now something of his shows up in the Marketplace."

Naaah... As soon as you wrote more than two sentences in this first post of yours (and in fact took some time creating a very nice post), you made it pretty clear you're not one of those annoying types.

And I really like Claude Gordon.

Welcome to the TH!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said more in your first post than many here have in hundreds of posts!!! Welcome!!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've probably been lurking here longer than some people with hundreds of posts!?!

Take care,
Marc Speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: