• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 36b question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Conn 36b question Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just scored a pretty nice mid 60's Conn 36b Constellation, it looks in good shape with minimal finish loss, no dents to speak of, good pistons and very good compression, price was right.
The down side is that it missing the 1st. valve trigger rod screws. Seller had saved the rod.
Does anyone know where to get some or some close fitting ones, all I have here is way large(British horns) or way small(Holton)

Thank you for the help

Guy
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the slide or trigger to a machinist or a machine shop. They should be able to tell you the thread pitch and diameter, and maybe even sell you a screw that fits.

You have one of my favorite trumpets! Mine was the version without the 1st valve trigger, and I installed an Olds-type saddle assembly on it a few years ago. It was a basket case when I got it, and I had to solder things together, leadpipe, tuning slide, pinky hook, etc., but it was worth it! I prefer it's sound and playability over my Strad, and the wide wrap of these old Conns is my all-time favorite design. I also own the long cornet version, equally excellent.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Conn 36b question Reply with quote

If you really favor the trumpet take it to a machinist and find out the cost of
making whatever parts you require. It may seem expensive but it would probably serve you well. Congrats, I played a 36b for 11 years and now nearly 50 years later one is on my bucket list.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to take it to a machinist, I hear there are actually professionals who service and repair (including fabrication of parts) trumpets specifically!!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts like these you should be able to source from the typical brass repair folks like Feree's or Votaw, and you can call them. If it has to be sourced from Allied, your tech will have to order, as they don't sell to individuals, only to brass repair businesses. Be fore going that route, you might try going to your local hardware or Home Depot. It may be that a standard metric or SAE thread fits this and you can try out some little screws out of the little packages they sell.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing screws are readily available from Allied, but have to be ordered through any instrument repair shop. Such an easy and inexpensive fix. Don't let a machinist touch your horn!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
CornetKent

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complete new set of the Conn 36B/38B trigger mechanism parts. Just PM me if you want them. I can text a pic if you like.....
1964 King Silver Sonic cornet
1978 Bach 181 L cornet
1980s Courtois 104 cornet
2007 Bach 184 cornet
2008 Taylor Orpheus cornet
2015 Getzen 800 Eterna cornet
And More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: