• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

4 weeks to prepare for consistent high Es

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knobby

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: 4 weeks to prepare for consistent high Es Reply with quote

Hello,

I joimed a brass band a few weeks ago after a year or so out, and Ive been happily improving my sound again on 2nd trumpet. However, in 4 weeks we have a gig the 1st guy cant make it to and so I will be playing the high stuff.

So Ive looked through the parts and the good news is theres nothing there I cant play. Trouble is, after 3 or 4 song ventruing up to high e and my lip is BLOWN haha

I have a proper high note mouth piece and practocing everyday is maling me a little better everyday- who knew?

But I need advice on what I can do to get consistent up on those notes in 4 weeks.

Thanks
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're advanced enough where you can hit a solid high E when you're fresh, you need to work on both getting stronger and making playing less taxing on your chops.

Work on moving air, using as little pressure as you can get away with - it won't be a huge difference but any pressure reduction is good.

Also during your practice use a mirror and try to be aware of what's going on when you play, particularly as you go higher. Play a solid high C and feel what your tongue is doing, how much opening between your teeth, the angle of the horn. Snatch the horn away without changing anything and see what your lips are doing, where the tension in your embouchure is. Try this at various pitches and see how things change. What you actually do is probably different than what you think you do just going by feel. For me being as aware of the mechanics as possible is helpful.

Of course you want to practice a lot - long tones, lip flex exercises. Play scales and arpeggios through the whole range that you can play, always strive to go a little higher.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun May 13, 2018 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Knobby, one thing I would add into your routine is the Dave Belknap routine. Practice it 2x on non-gig days. Best of luck to you! Lex

Www.LexSamu.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that Belknap routine before, thanks for posting it.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YW Randy..Dave Belknap recently passed, but was a pro freelancer on the West Coast for many years. Apparently a lot of the old time studio cats out there, like Uan Rasey used this routine according to Dave. It's a great way to balance and relax the chops, increasing endurance and setting the foundation for range development. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This. However, the 2x per day part will likely need to be worked up to.

Although I have often wondered about the "disregard" written on the bottom. Is that meant to indicate that the user should not play them in order or not discard the copy of the book, or not do them from memory?

ljazztrm wrote:
Hey Knobby, one thing I would add into your routine is the Dave Belknap routine. Practice it 2x on non-gig days. Best of luck to you! Lex

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, however I believe that is Turkle’s writing. The paper was sent to him by Dave along with a copy of the Schlossberg. I think Dave wrote that so Turkle would know to send him back the book after he had the exercises committed to memory. Turkle then wrote “diregard” when he shared the routine on TH.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dave would send Schlossberg books out to some people who didn't have one to borrow.. I remember him telling me once he was a little annoyed with some people who didn't ever return them! Anyway, real nice cat just to send out Schlossberg books out to random trumpet players..Promoting the trumpet brother/sisterhood...Very good! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
This. However, the 2x per day part will likely need to be worked up to.

This routine has always been fairly 'curious' to me.. I don't know why a certain style of lip slurs practiced in a certain way can have such good results but, with this routine, this seems to be the case with many players. Yes, it can be deceptively tiring on the playing mechanism for some reason even though, if you're a fairly advanced player, it doesn't seem so while you're practicing it. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: