• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jo Ral metal Plunger mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Jo Ral metal Plunger mute Reply with quote

Hi

I have a community light orchestra concert last night, and we performed the Ted Ricketts arrangement of Chicago, which starts with an unaccompanied plunger mute trumpet solo.

I've always used a Denis Wick plunger. These seem to be pretty much disliked, and even people who have mostly Denis Wick mutes, have an other make plunger.

Anyway, a colleague lent me a metal Jo Ral plunger, which unlike my Denis Wick one, has a handle and hole in the end, as a possible alternative to my Denis Wick one.

i.e. https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/JO-RAL-Trumpet-All-Aluminium-Plunger-Mute/SFA?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=*PLA+Shop+-+All+Products&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=**All+Products&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=36838d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=99104169065&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxN_XBRCFARIsAIufy1a-sS3weLb_vlfCI6nWszA9WtKAmOX3_wrnnwC7zmY8MvPpQvp5ffwaAjT5EALw_wcB

Firstly, having short arms, I found the handle harder than cupping the flat bottom of my Denis Wick one in my hand, and possibly owing to the much smaller volume, lack of flocked interior or hole in the bottom, I found that the Jo Ral plunger didn't make such a big difference to the sound, as my Denis Wick one.

Anyway, I used my own Denis Wick plunger, was very pleased with how it went, and had some nice compliments from my orchestra colleagues, and have decided that I'm going to keep to my Denis Wick plunger in future, however unpopular they are, as it works well for me.

Maybe it is simply having owned and used a Denis Wick plunger for over twenty years, although I can't say I use it particularly often.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an old-fashioned plunger. I've seen others that put a hole in the center. I never did.

Most of the time I get lazy and just use my hand.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I use an old-fashioned plunger. I've seen others that put a hole in the center. I never did.

Most of the time I get lazy and just use my hand.

Hi trumpetchops

Yes, I've used this too, and have also not put a hole in it.

Although I have also used my hand (for example for pennsylvania 6-5000 in a fairly heavily scored arrangement), I don't think that it would have been sufficient for standing up in front of the audience and doing a lone trumpet solo before the orchestra/band comes in.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a sound quality to the rubber plunger that will never be replicated by the metal variants...just not even close. I'm glad your show went well but for a true plunger sound you may want to consider this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mutec-MHT160-Plunger-Mute-Trumpet/dp/B002M8HVXC/ref=pd_sim_267_11?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002M8HVXC&pd_rd_r=7TJ1QMWFF3JA7R2AEFWE&pd_rd_w=uRBSs&pd_rd_wg=YQhBB&psc=1&refRID=7TJ1QMWFF3JA7R2AEFWE

It's got a nub that should help you get a grip, more than a regular toilet plunger, and sounds just as good. And it's pretty cheap relatively speaking.

johnlakejazz.com
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
There's a sound quality to the rubber plunger that will never be replicated by the metal variants...just not even close. I'm glad your show went well but for a true plunger sound you may want to consider this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mutec-MHT160-Plunger-Mute-Trumpet/dp/B002M8HVXC/ref=pd_sim_267_11?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002M8HVXC&pd_rd_r=7TJ1QMWFF3JA7R2AEFWE&pd_rd_w=uRBSs&pd_rd_wg=YQhBB&psc=1&refRID=7TJ1QMWFF3JA7R2AEFWE

It's got a nub that should help you get a grip, more than a regular toilet plunger, and sounds just as good. And it's pretty cheap relatively speaking.

Hi lakejw

Thanks very much. I understand what you are saying, but consider my Denis Wick plunger to have a good enough plunger sound.

Thank you very much for the link. Maybe I'll try one one day, to see how the sound differs.

I think that we have finished Chicago for now, and not currently playing in a big band or playing a Glenn Miller selection in my brass band, I don't think that I'll imminently need to use a plunger mute, so will possibly think about changing mine when I have more need for one.

Thanks very much again.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Jo-Ral aluminum plunger mute. It's lightweight, easy to manipulate and sounds great.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I like the Jo-Ral aluminum plunger mute. It's lightweight, easy to manipulate and sounds great.

Hi HERMOKIWI

Fair enough! I personally thought that it was more difficult to manipulate than my Denis Wick, admittedly because I don't have very long arms, and changed the sound less than my Denis Wick plunger.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: