• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Listening for SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
bdunnfive

Posted: 2002-02-13 12:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been working on SC for about a year mostly by blowing the leadpipe on the way to and from work. I am definitely gaining strength and range. I was wondering who I should be listening to to get that SC sound in my ears, if you know what I mean. I have quite a bit of Harry James and Charlie Shavers, but am looking for some more recent recordings. What are your favorite examples of SC playing? Having been a Bill Adam student for a while, I like to have a good example of what I am trying to sound like. I know this can be subjective, and some might be more purely SC than others. I just ordered the book and Video #1 from Bruce Lee, so that should help to. Thanks for any responses!

Brad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

Posted: 2002-02-13 14:58
Hi guys, Lee's favorite "buttinsky" here... I'd like to throw out the proposition that SC players, like any others, can sound like whomever they wish. They can (and should) be able to cover the M's of sound -- Maynard to Maurice! With Harry James, Bud Herseth, and everyone else in between.

So, while I'm pretty sure I know the answer (from previous posts and emails), I'd like to suggest y'all list the distinctive sound traits SC provides (e.g., rich resonate sound), and some of the traits good SC players (and anyone else, for that matter) should avoid (e.g., fuzzy tone, pinched wimpy high notes, etc.) That way, everybody will know what to listen for in their own and others' playing, and be able to identify the sound of success (or not...)

FWIW - Don

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-02-14 01:26
For contemporary players check out James Morrison, Gunther Beetz, and Dave Trigg. Mr. Callet recommends the same three. Listen for the focus, brilliance, and projection of the sound. Particularly note that the notes do not loose center and focus as they go way-high. Unlike most players, their notes do not go flat and start to dull as they ascend. Best regards, Kyle

bdunnfive

Posted: 2002-02-18 14:43
Thanks Kyle! I have been checking out James Morrison - pretty incredible! Do you have any suggestions for recordings of Dave Trigg? I know of some big band albums, but anything where you can really hear him individually? Thanks so much for the help. My SC material should be here any day now.

rgeba

Posted: 2002-02-18 17:10
I'm a big James Morrison fan. He says he is a "self-taught" trumpet player.

How is it known that he is a SC user? I don't think he says it, or even knows what it is. Can you tell from pictures of him playing?

(It's certainly possible that he naturally came upon SC principles on his own.)

Bob

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-02-18 20:01
Bob, Though the original post runs around a bit, I've addressed what I think is the fundamental question:

"I [would] like to have a good example of what I am trying to sound like"

I've given 3 examples of contemporary players that a SC player should be striving to sound like. That, as opposed to Sandoval, Shew, Marsalis, and most others who do not share that type of sound. SC players will argue that it's a close approximation to a SC embouchure that provides that type of sound, but it's not necessary to argue that point just to provide good aural examples. It's just necessary to hear the difference. Best regards, Kyle

rgeba

Posted: 2002-02-19 13:27
Kyle,
OK. I understand your answer was appropos to the question raised in the thread. Fair enough.

I would love to sound like James Morrison, through any means. FWIW (and admittedly off the topic of this thread, when I watched James play, he seemed to have a very "rolled-in" embouchure (very little red showing), and very tight corners. He claims his Yamaha mouthpiece is similar in size to a Bach 7C, and says the key to his sensational high range is "lots and lots of air". (Hey, he never claimed to be a teacher.)

-Bob

Cozy
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-02-19 13:44
I do love the sound of "DT," Dave Trigg. He's done a lot of work with Callet mpc's, DT-10 et al. He's done some work with Curry's TRex line and more I'm sure, but don't know right off-hand.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: