• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charles J. Gorham (1930-2018)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Charles J. Gorham (1930-2018) Reply with quote

Charles J. Gorham passed away peacefully May 14, 2018. His life's journey has ended, but those who knew him will remember Charles as an energetic, kind person who loved music and enjoyed a full and happy life. He was at the side of his beloved wife, Ellen Gorham, when she passed away in January, 2016.

Charles was born June 16, 1930, in Atlanta, Georgia to his late parents Phyllis and Don Gorham. He was the brother of the late Martha Nash and Phyllis Apple and is survived by his brother Don Gorham, Jr. He was the father of Deborah Leigh Gorham (Bob Applegate), Scott Brady Gorham (Susan Elder) and Alison Lynn Pedersen (Olie). He is also survived by 4 grandsons; Alex and Andy Gorham, and Blake and Graham Pedersen.

Charles followed his passion for music at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music where he met and married his wife the day before they graduated in 1952. After being offered the Associate Principal Trumpet position in the Cleveland Orchestra by George Szell, Charles enlisted and spent four years playing in the US Air Force Band during which he earned a Master’s degree at The Catholic University of America.

After completing his four year tour of duty with the USAF Band, Charles accepted a teaching position at Baldwin-Wallace College Conservatory of Music and frequently performed with the Cleveland Orchestra under Robert Shaw. In 1969, Charles accepted a position on the faculty at Indiana University and served as Chairman of the Brass Department for many years.

In 1975, Charles co-founded the International Trumpet Guild (ITG) with Robert Nagel. The ITG - still going strong 43 years later - continues to serve professionals, teachers and students interested in the history and performance possibilities of the trumpet. Thinking of his life’s work in music, Charles wrote, “The most important facet of my teaching career was to inspire students to achieve their highest performance ability through the integration of knowledge and musical insight.”

Charles loved the outdoors. He loved family trips to their summer cabin on Lake Penage in Ontario, Canada. He was an avid fisherman, woodworker and sailor. His keen observations and enjoyment of the natural world opened up many of life’s wonders to each of his children.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Charles Gorham Trumpet Scholarship at Indiana University Jacobs School of Music (www.give.iu.edu) would be welcome. Simons Funeral Home, 7720 Perry Hwy, Pittsburgh, PA, will be handling arrangements. A visitation will be held Wednesday 4-7 PM, 5/16/18, at Simons, with a celebration of life planned for later this year in Bloomington, IN. You are invited to share a memory or leave an online condolence at www.simonsfuneralhome.com

Mr. Gorham was my friend, colleague, teacher, mentor and so much more. I will miss him and his presence in my life, and will always keep close to my heart the things that I learned from him.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
OldKing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to honor him by posting this.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful post, Al.

Charles, R.I.P.
underdog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: thanks Al Reply with quote

Thank you Al for letting us know. Charles was a good man, and a patient teacher. I enjoyed my time with him and the time in my life that I took from him, he had to exercise a decent amount of patience with a kid that probably knew everything... (way back in 1989) I certainly wish that I knew as much as I thought that I did back then.
https://www.instagram.com/lessonswithstudiomusicians/
http://nashvillestudioorchestra.com/site-administrator/
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you my friends for your kind words! I know that I will forever hold the things he shared with me as part of who I am, and perhaps the best tribute I can possibly offer is to pass them on to future players.

Steve, you likely don't know it, but most, if not all, of my students know who you are and how hard you worked to get where you are today. I put on any of several Youtube videos of you playing with The Smoking Section, and they sit amazed at your playing, just as I do. You do us all proud with your great playing.

Thanks to you all for your kind words....they mean the world!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: