• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

This is basically what I'm asking. Are there any tips/tricks/exercises for relaxing the lips into extremely shallow cups, but whilst still maintaining control of the musculature as needed? For lead (up to double A and the occasional double C) I am currently playing on an original Jet Tone BC and it really doesn't like to be man handed, else it either shuts down or things just get sketchy. I have found that when I set slightly puckered and then relax as much as I can my tone opens up immensely and my articulation crisps up nicely. Anyways, are there any known tips for playing on very shallow mouthpieces? The ID is listed in an old catalogue at .625, but it feels smaller than that.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a recent discussion that may help.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147124
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play softly and make sure your shoulders aren’t tense....
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
This is basically what I'm asking. Are there any tips/tricks/exercises for relaxing the lips into extremely shallow cups, but whilst still maintaining control of the musculature as needed? For lead (up to double A and the occasional double C) I am currently playing on an original Jet Tone BC and it really doesn't like to be man handed, else it either shuts down or things just get sketchy. I have found that when I set slightly puckered and then relax as much as I can my tone opens up immensely and my articulation crisps up nicely. Anyways, are there any known tips for playing on very shallow mouthpieces? The ID is listed in an old catalogue at .625, but it feels smaller than that.

Great question. Hope you read my remarks. Some of my ideas involve either spending some money or learning how to customize your own mouthpieces.

First of all try not to make a change to a really shallow piece overnight. Instead make graduated changes.

Like lets say you wanted to work into a Schilke 6a4a. Well why not ask Schilke to make you both a customized 9a and 9b first. Play both pieces but stick more to the one which responds best to the condition you're in at the time. Seven years ago while switching to a piece which while shallower than I was accustomed to at the time was actually bigger than the one I use today.

"What is wrong today may be right tomorrow. Right for today? Could be wrong tomorrow".

Typically when I try a shallower mouthpiece it doesnt respond well at the start of a gig or rehearsal. So using my outline above I would try the slightly deeper 9b mouthpiece at the start of the job. Then as I tired or toward the end of the gig I'd switch to the shallower piece. Etcetera. Keep using this plan over the years. Maybe five years from now you'll absolutely love a mouthpiece which you are unable to play today.

At least for me Ive found that a piece which is shallower than what I used before has two interesting conditions ,

A. It takes several months to help me perform better.
B. In the early stages of use it tends to perform much better when I start to tire out. I call this the "booster rocket effect".

Here's what happens next Vintage,
Gradually I start shifting to my shallower piece earlier and earlier in the session. Until I feel better conditioned. At that point it will work fine right off the bat. But don't throw out that slightly deeper mouthpiece just yet. As there can be times when your chops may revert back to their old ways. You'll feel the shallower piece "back up" on you. Or maybe lose flexibility. Had that happen to me just yesterday on the "Armed Forces Salute". A Memorial Day tribute to veterans.

I always cap it with my high F at the end. However yesterday's concert was very long and had many high notes. Feeling a trifle insecure about how my smallest mouthpiece would work on the high F? I swiftly switched over to a slightly deeper cup about 20 bars before the end. And the note popped beautifully.

Had I tried to hit it on my shallowest piece? It just might have "hit air". Then ten minutes later in the gig and after having rested a bit during the speeches of the ceremony I put the super shallow piece back in and left it there. As my chops had recouperated and felt less swollen.

Also Vintage? Here's an idea Ive found very valuable. And it's simple.

One of the biggest problems with stock shallow mouthpieces is that most manufacturers make the back-bore and throat way too tight. Granted some cats like this and beginners may profit from tight throats too. Seen it happen many times.

However for me I just can not get a truly big sound on a shallow piece unless I open up the throat. And when opening the throat you darn well better open the back-bore too. As by merely making the throat bigger you eill also make it longer and this can throw the upper register over a quarter tone flat. No foolin! The piece will sound great but... (this is funny!)

If the throat is too long you can tune your concert B Flat dead perfect. But as you take it on up the scale you'll find that your high concert B Flat (high C for the standard B flat tpt) is really more like an A natural lol.

Ive proven this myself many times on a test mouthpiece. One which I only opened the throat. Not the back-bore. So I blow a C natural chord/arpeggio. But in order to make the top tone in pitch? I gotta finger a C#!! Not the open high C. So use caution when fooling around with back-bore and throat modifications.

Currently I have a mouthpiece which I modified some 3 years ago into something even shallower than Schilke 6a. But the throat is a #23. I probably could even go down to a #20 but as this piece works so beautifully? I dont want to fool with it. If it aint broke? Dont "fix" it.

On my medium to deep mouthpieces I usually use standard throat sizes. Like between 26 and 28. Medium and large pieces do not sound "tinny" on tight bores. Also making them too open ruins the brilliance in sound.

The reverse is true on the really shallow pieces. You shoulda heard the screamer piece I described above but before I opened up the throat/back-bore. It threw out a ton of pure edge. Which was especially evident on the recordings. Sheesh! Sounded like an amplified kazoo. While the other guys liked it? I felt embarrassed as hell. So I immediately opened this #28 throat to a #23. And then adjusted the back-bore so it wouldnt go flat.

By customizing this very shallow piece as described? I can fool people into thinking I use a much larger mouthpiece.

The huge sized throat and back-bore was something Maynard started. You can do a Youtube search of,

"Maynard, learn ftom the stars"

And on this video he describes his mouthpiece as having a #15 throat. This is a huge hole! Almost resembling the throat on a trombone mouthpiece. My general rule on mouthpieces?

For classical and church music? Use medium to deep pieces with average or tight throats.

Lead/Scream work? Shallowest piece I can handle at the particular stage I'm at. Using a large throat and back-bore.

Coda+ It can literally take years to gravitate down to a super shallow mouthpiece. And maybe Mr Vintage doesnt need quite as shallow a piece as I do. So perhaps he can adopt some portion of the above ideas. Take what ya need and leave the rest... We're all different. However a mouthpiece never gets tired. Nor becomes over-trained.

Over-training is the demon faced by most trumpet players who aspire to blow high notes. I just re-read a text reply I got from Lynn Nicholson. Some advice he sent me a little while ago. In it he explained that a great virtuoso trumpet player whom we all know of?

Actually practices too much for his own good. Great player, but he's working too hard.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
This is basically what I'm asking. Are there any tips/tricks/exercises for relaxing the lips into extremely shallow cups, but whilst still maintaining control of the musculature as needed?

What leads you to think that "relaxing into" a mp is even a valid concept?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
VintageFTW wrote:
This is basically what I'm asking. Are there any tips/tricks/exercises for relaxing the lips into extremely shallow cups, but whilst still maintaining control of the musculature as needed?

Some players who use mouthpieces that don't have a lot of chop support can have tension in the embouchure to keep the aperture from blowing apart, particularly in the upper register or at loud dynamics (this is where balancing low/high and loud/soft playing helps).

With a shallow mouthpiece that is more "efficient" this level of tension is not necessary, so as counter-intuitive as it sounds, one can "relax into a shallow mouthpiece."

This same effect can occur going from wide to narrow cups.

Players with a lot of lip intrusion may have the opposite going to a shallow cup and need to somehow keep from bottoming out.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Robert P wrote:
VintageFTW wrote:

Some players who use mouthpieces that don't have a lot of chop support can have tension in the embouchure to keep the aperture from blowing apart, particularly in the upper register or at loud dynamics (this is where balancing low/high and loud/soft playing helps).

With a shallow mouthpiece that is more "efficient" this level of tension is not necessary, so as counter-intuitive as it sounds, one can "relax into a shallow mouthpiece."

This same effect can occur going from wide to narrow cups.

Players with a lot of lip intrusion may have the opposite going to a shallow cup and need to somehow keep from bottoming out.

Another interesting condition to watch is how good trumpet players deal with the aging process. Especially those who keep using large pieces versus those who move smaller.

Those who move smaller may seek to avoid continued damage or wear and tear. Or they have just learned to "play smarter" over the years.

But then there are those people who feel that their Bach 1 was good enough for them when they were twenty years old and "by god that'll be good enough for me when I'm 65..."

But it usually isnt and for two reasons.

We do get older and don't heal as fast as we used to. And,

Repetitive injury takes it's collective toll. As in professional sports. So just this past week I worked with a fine classical pro. However we're both getting on in years. Whereas he used to hammer thw first cornet solos on his 1C mouthpiece? He now tires more quickly and gives all the high note parts to me. I enjoy them still but it pains me to see this great playing friend of mine struggle. In fact I see some blood blisters on his poor chops (hope he isn't reading this!!).

Let's call him Doug. A well respected fellow and yet it's too late for him to change mouthpieces to something more comfortable. Such as I long since changed to. Ive known numerous old pros like him.

You dare not even suggest that they play shallower pieces! They weren't taught that way and like the proverbial "old dog"? Aren't about to learn any new tricks.

Meanwhile I'm locking in better and better with my shallow equipment. With far less practice necessary just to maintain my condition! As long term memory allows me to ace certain high note gigs that my friend has already probably lost the ability to even play. That's sad man.

See in addition to the toll that the larger mouthpieces take on the chops these bigger pieces require much more chop maintenance. In other words they've really gotta practice a lot just to maintain a certain level of endurance and control. Unfortunately the aging process brings that threshold down more and more as the years go by.

And as their threshold of acceptable performance breaks down? Their risk of developing over-trained chops goes through the roof. It was only a week ago when a well recognized pro sent me an email concerning another big star pro. Both are household names. Heck Im lucky just to know one of them. So the man tells me that the other great player could probably have given both Maynard and Brisbois a run for their money back in the day.

However the other guy uses too deep of a mouthpiece. And despite his great reputation? He practices too much for his own good.

brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear your thoughts, Lionel. I always appreciated the notion of playing smaller and shallower, why use more effort than you need right? but in the last year or so I have found myself struggling to play consistently on smaller pieces - there seems to be too much variation in my lip day to day, my lips catch and stop on the narrower diameters and while I could one day get a classical sound out of a 12A4a, the next day a small amount of swelling would nix that. I have now moved larger, to 3C size pieces and the inconsistency has gone away. I even wonder now if the small cups I was playing were causing intermittent swelling through intense vibration of the fleshy center to my lip (I have a cupid's bow). I am interested if you have any thoughts on this?
Wick 2BFL
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassmusician,

Ive got some good ideas. Just for you. Please contact me via private message. Always glad to support the cause. Time permiting

Have been through many similar experiences as yourself. That and decided that doubling on shallower mouthieces takes time. Its a real skill but worth every minute of the time and patience involved. As we continue to,

"Work Smart, Not hard..."

Also I've got a good idea for a pair of pieces you may want to try. I will cut them myself. Same rims, different depths. Deeper cup for "legit". The rims being so similar that I almost can't tell the difference myself.

number juan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... i find this topic interesting because i recently acquired a jet-tone AH, and a bobby shew lead. i normally use a curry 3c. for some reason, i can play on those pieces in the normal registers, but, especially on the lead, i cannot use them to play much above a high c, despite being able to play about an octave higher on the curry. so at the moment my only use for the AH and the lead are to switch to them for a few minutes at a time when i feel tired while going over the marching show for next year before returning to the curry, just to give my lips a little bit of a break.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number juan wrote:
hmmm... i find this topic interesting because i recently acquired a jet-tone AH, and a bobby shew lead. i normally use a curry 3c. for some reason, i can play on those pieces in the normal registers, but, especially on the lead, i cannot use them to play much above a high c, despite being able to play about an octave higher on the curry. so at the moment my only use for the AH and the lead are to switch to them for a few minutes at a time when i feel tired while going over the marching show for next year before returning to the curry, just to give my lips a little bit of a break.

Number Juan,

Hope you read this post. Because what you wrote above parallels my experience. That and actually concurs with the matters i posted in my previous post. In fact I would bet money that if you just keep working on adjusting to one or both of your shallower mouthpieces that eventually you will prevail and be able to reap the full benefit out of one of these shallower mouthpieces.

The principle point I mean to illustrate is that adjusting to shallower mouthpieces takes time. In fact I suggest that you re-read my prior post. That and take note of how some five years ago I had difficulty blowing a solid high F on my new, shallower piece. However by patiently keeping at it? I gradually developed a real knack. And of particular interest (to me) in your post is how you switch to one of the shallower pieces after your chops feel fatigued.

In fact this is exactly the action which I emphasized in my earlier post! As my discovery some five or so years ago was that the shallower pieces tend to "teach" us best after we get tired. To reiterate what I meant is that the way I learned to improve my performance on the shallower pieces was to only use them as I tired. I soon found out that by switching to a shallower piece when feeling fatigued it would give me a veritable "second wind". Until after 4 to 5 months after starting to use it I kept it in the horn from start to finish. Later still I used the same procedure to learn an even shallower mouthpiece.

And this last change put me on the mouthpiece which Ive been on since exactly 2 years ago. And when I finally adapted to my current piece I found that my existing range had much more enduance. And at that point I could basically cut most every lead trumpet chart around. For the whole gig.

Much of my own performance improvement came not from practicing my double C. Instead it came from being more consistent with everything up to a high E or so. Let's draw a comparison to baseball,

The pitcher who struggles to throw 95 usually ends up either retired or facing "Tommy John" surgery. Similarly the lead player who constantly tries to blow notes well above his natural range will generally put his chops into a near constant state of "over-trained" embouchure.

And over-trained chops is an insidious devil. Most the time we can't see that we're in it. Worse still our reduced performance typical of the over-trained condition is often misunderstood by our peers and teachers. I well remember a day late in my senior year of high school when I started getting a double buzz or "wolf tone" on my euphonium (ive always doubled since the beginning of high school). The band director heard me play that nasty double buzz and used it to kind of make a whipping boy* out of me. Claiming that I "wasn't practicing enough".

Well in fact the cause of that nasty tone was exactly the opposite of what the band director accused me of.

So Number Juan,

My suggestion to you is to treat your usage of shallower mouthpieces as if you were doubling on another brass instrument. Keeping in mind that the trickiest part of doubling is both adjusting to the shallower mouthpiece to begin with and switching from the larger mouthpiece to the smaller one.

The hardest thing about doubling on low brass is coming back to the trumpet and it's smaller mouthpiece. If I haven't been blowing the trombone for a while I have a hard time switching back to trumpet after playing the t-bone. This problem Numberjuan is similar to you switching to your shallower piece and playing above the high C. It can take a few weeks or even a couple months to learn to prevent your chops from swelling. However once you're accustomed to playing that shallower piece? It can open up a whole new world for you.

------------------ --------------------- --------------------
*"Whipping boys" were a common practice back in the 1960's and '70's. Lots of teachers did this as a way of motivating others. "Negative reinforcement" I think it is called. Hopefully this has been discontinued as it is both cruel and counter-productive to the learning process.

Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on relaxing into extra shallow cups? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
VintageFTW wrote:

This I’d kind of my thought. When I found I could play easily on shallow and narrow MP’s I discovered I have very little lip protrusion into the cup. I can play my normal range on any depth cup, but my range and tone begin to suffer when the width gets above .640 and I prefer .630 with very little bite. I had always assumed that my tone would suffer with these smaller mouthpieces but it has actually improved every part of my play. Why would you wish to relax your center more into the cup for a shallower MP? Curious?
Rod
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my experience, it takes time to figure out exactly where the slots exist however what I understand you guys are describing are my experiences on lead pieces prior to studying with a lead player who actually knew/knows what he's doing.

A lower compression mouthpiece (3C, 1C, 5B, etc...) generally requires smaller aperture to balance the system. A higher compression piece (Shew 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, Findley, Reeves 43S, etc...) requires you to literally open the aperture more (or at least keep it the same) when going into the upper register. The system will shut down if you play it like your larger pieces and pinch the lips together.

Try playing a G scale going to the 9 without making an aperture change, or better, pulling the aperture apart a touch on the A. If you're anything like me, you'll feel it close a bit going to the D/E in the staff again on F/G and majorly on the A. The good news, is that when I play higher compression pieces, the good attributes find their way back into my 1C playing. Go figure...
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just as easily could have put the following content on the "Mouthpieces" forum. However there already existed this very topic which is perfectly apropos to the subject matter involved. The wisdom came from a monster player. Let's call him friend "A". He is probably the greatest or certainly most capable high note trumpet player currently living on this planet today.

I can't fully disclose all the subject matter out of respect for another well noted trumpet player (friend "B") discussed in the email. Two men actually. So have adjusted the quote to only cover material applicable to this very topic here on this thread.

My questions to A involved the amount of practicing necessary to mitigate the usage of larger mouthpieces while still maintaining a strong upper register. The kind of chops suitable for friend B to maintain his sterling reputation.. Included in the qualification of "larger mouthpieces" here is not only wide inner rim dimensions, deep cups but those sharp inner rim edges. Oftentimes all these characteristics come in the same package fellas!

Our friend A had once worked a Vegas job with B and asked B how much he practiced just to maintain his condition. Indeed it was FIVE HOURS per day! To which Mr A said "Ouch" and I concur. Mr A is a man who likes to think outside the box. I concur with him regularly even if I don't excel at high notes like he does. Heck nobody else anyway. I just describe my ability as "a capable lead player". I might not knock you out but I do get the job done. Anyway,

Mr A also concurred with me on the stubborness of the trumpet playing community. How many trumpet players are so stuck in their ways that they wouldn't accept advice suggesting that smaller mouthpieces can be designed or altered to produce the same tone as larger pieces with negligible differences in quality. But at far greater ease. I had brought the subject up in reference to a local pro I know and have worked with over the years. However old age has crept up on him, as it has me. However my chops are still improving while his deteriorate. The main difference between our strategies? He refuses to even consider looking into shallower, more user friendly mouthpieces. I know the man well enough and thus wouldn't even bother to bring up the subject.

Worse still my friends? The great majority of experienced trumpet players are men just like he. Holding conventional thinking about mouthpieces and will go to their graves unchanged. Even as they lose their ability to play well.

Anyway? End rant, back to Mr A's final quote:

"Most players use a big piece. Believing the myth that it will give them a big sound. No. It will give them a dark sound. The perfect piece is the one which enables the player to experience virtually no chop fatigue no matter the amount of time off or length of the gig".

The man also indicated that during his experience working with Maynard that "The Boss" never practiced.

Mr A is of course the one and only Lynn Nicholson.

And of course I can not reproduce high notes anything like Lynn. However even at my advanced age I'm still increasing my endurance while practicing less. Most the others my age are being beaten down by Father Time. I attribute personal preservation almost completely to my mouthpiece selection. That and for refusing to follow conventional thinking.

shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel – I fully agree: the stubbornness of the trumpet playing community regarding mouthpiece sizes and special shapes.

Things have to be straining otherwise they are not worthwhile. Some alternative thinking equals some whoodo hokuspokus leading players into the wrong direction.

This is a strong psychological issue: you have gained something over years of unbelievable efforts and then there pop up some stickybeaks telling everyone that it could all be much easier….it is much better “to make a virtue out of a necessity”.

I too follow Mr. A’s advices because he not only plays some extraordinary high register even without any hours lasting daily maintenance regime but is an extraordinary analyst as well. Sure he only spent about 1 year playing with Maynard in 1974/1975 whereas others would spent couple of more years playing with him. But it is not the amount of time but the quality of investigation in a given timeframe.

Of course the stubborned will tell: Mr. A was playing some extraordinary high register even before telling his story….they don’t believe his expertise that he himself may have done much easier when following the story instead of doing old school advices.

I don’t know other trumpet heroes as well as Maynard, whom I dedicated a lot of private investigation, because he offers some important message regarding playing habitus: be happy – have fun. By this research I found that Maynard himself played not from the beginning as he would later on with Stan Kenton: there clearly was some watershed in his development and it was closely connected with his mouthpiece which was deduced from a french horn mouthpiece where he liked the german “einsetzen” behavior a lot. This mouthpiece design is known as “the holy grail”. He never deviate from this special design until later with the Monettes. The shape was a shallow and narrow very high alpha angled v-cup which later was optimized in a convex design for over 20 years!

One can argue: Maynard could only play what he played and found a niche in being honored by this. Could he play softly, classical with double and triple tongue and switching tone colours? Don’t know – answer yourself.

Mr. A developed some method (MHM) grounded on what he found was the case with Maynard as well and what he discovered on his own sometimes before meeting Maynard: unfurling the lips in some circumstances. That this could be better done with a mouthpiece design Maynard uses all the way was the next founding: relaxing into a small v-cup – our topic in this threat.

In TH there are a lot of explorations about that design – it does not need to be repeated here again.

There is only one question for me:

How much time has to be invested into maintenance of trumpet playing – I don’t mean maintenance of range, endurance, sound; I mean technical aspects like fast fingerings, scales, arpeggios etc.. ….the latter are things that need the former as a prerequisite.

So why not doing easier on the former to get more from the latter? And would it be not nice to take the horn out of the case and simply play even after weeks off the horn?

Anyway do you think Maynard had some practice regime at all?

Mr. A is the moon when it comes to intelligent practise - and I am only the finger pointing to the moon.....and playing is much better than practising...
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:
Lionel – I fully agree: the stubbornness of the trumpet playing community regarding mouthpiece sizes and special shapes.

How much time has to be invested into maintenance of trumpet playing – I don’t mean maintenance of range, endurance, sound; I mean technical aspects like fast fingerings, scales, arpeggios etc.. ….the latter are things that need the former as a prerequisite.

So why not doing easier on the former to get more from the latter? And would it be not nice to take the horn out of the case and simply play even after weeks off the horn?

Anyway do you think Maynard had some practice regime at all?

Mr. A is the moon when it comes to intelligent practise - and I am only the finger pointing to the moon.....and playing is much better than practising...

Well this is a good post. Sorry I condensed it but I assure you that it was well thought out. And I like it not just because it agrees with me but that certainly doesnt hurt lol.

From the texts Ive been most fortunate to receive from 'Mr A" ( and now that Ive outed who he is I sure hope that he doesnt receive a thousand requests from every other wannabee trumpet on the planet. Nor blame me for starting such an avalanche..) I feel confident that Maynard never practiced.

This has an advantage in creativity and production because when ALL that a trumpet player does is "play when it really matters" I believe that this truly locks in a much more meaningful mindset. In turn this sets up a powerful sub-conscious "memory factory". Producing fantastic results every time he plays.

However this is not a good nor proper tactic for a developing musician. Instead this is probably the correct avenue for only the battle hardened professional. The cat who has made his living behind the horn. Because every human has two levels of memory. The stuff he's practiced within the past 2 to 3 weeks. Let's call this ""Level I memory". Like when you cram for an exam in college. That and all the music he's played since day freakin one. For me that was sometime in the autumn of 1964. Let's call this "Level II memory". This Level II memory is your SUB-CONSCIOUS mind. Its like a matured investmsnt. Or bonds that have matured.

There were whole months/years when I practiced daily. As in college. At these times my Level I memory was saturated. I had plenty of recently acquired skills but not even half the confidence I have today. Back in 1972 I wouldnt dare show up at a rehearsal unless I had prepared the music to be performed. That and been practicing daily drills to maintain my technique for several weeks previous. I also ran around like a headless rooster half the time. Scared witless. Really really worried about hitting clams or missing repeats etc.

Today? I only rarely get nervous prior to a performance. This because my Level II memory has solidly ingrained most ordinary technique. Im not talkin Al Hirt type speed. Just basic skills which are as much a part of me as my hair and eye color. On top of that? Learning some half decent jazz improv has taught me how to swiftly turn a clam into a fairly cool embellishment.

I dont know how the hell to even explain that. Well except to say that Im batting maybe not 1000 on my lead trumpet notes but still able to get a high yield of either exact hits or "damned good misses". And it is Level II memory that brings this out. In fact just over the past five years Ive improved. Back in 2013 I sometimes downed a strong beer before a lead trumpet performance. Oddly this seemed to enhance my ability to draw on Level II memory. I used to joke that,

"I either need to practice two hours daily for a couple weeks prior to a strenuous gig. Or, down a stiff drink after no practice at all. And each performance would come out substantially the same".

But the use of really good equipment is vitally important to me today. My mouthpieces are either Al Cass pieces or one that I custom made myself based uppn Al's design. I'm not anywhere near the player Lynn is and probably wont get there though I keep trying. However I dont run around scared any more. That by itself is a huge personal accomplishment.

And I practice for fun or development. Not to maintain my range. Not so much anyway. Another handy trick I just learned for classical music which gets tricky technically is to just transpose the music down a fourth and play on the E flat trumpet. The high C is just a G top/staff. Nothing to it. I cant tell you how much easier it has become to play an exposed classical piece just by utilizing this trick!! My god please dont wait the 40 years it took me to get wise to that no-brainer...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: