• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Replacement for a vintage Jet Tone BC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Replacement for a vintage Jet Tone BC? Reply with quote

As the title states, I need a replacement for the original Jet Tone BC that I had been playing for about the past three months. Only for about the past month had I really adjusted to it and things got much warmer with more core, but the mouthpiece belongs to a friend of mine. As such, today he repossessed it for the summer because it technically belongs to his uncle, who is retired from playing.
I know the Schilke 6a4a is supposed to be somewhat similar to the BC, but does that only apply to vintage 6a4a's? I know that most new Schilke designs differ slightly from their vintage pieces (or at least this is true for the 13a4a). On a different note, what other pieces are comparable to a BC?... Or for that matter how does the Yamaha 6a4a compare to the Schilke? Or perhaps the Patrick version of the Studio Model B? I really would like to try some v-cups as well, but only if the diameter is close to the BC.
Anyways, any help is appreciated (though preferably sooner rather than later because I don't own anything in a similar ID). I should also add that I really don't want to spend any more than $100.

Thanks,
VintageFTW
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
John Ford

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VintageFTW,

Have you looked at any of the Jet Tone "vintage re-issue" mouthpieces available from Woodwind & Brasswind? They have a version of the Jet Tone BC, but I don't know how accurate it is compared to the original. It might be worth a look though.

(It looks like one of those will run you about $95.)
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, but I've heard mixed things about them. I think that they come standard with a #27 throat and a different backbore though. Personally it might be good for something slightly different than the BC though, because as much as I like it, the rim/bite has never really been spot on for me. I still like the rim, but it has always been a little off. The rest of the mouthpiece I love. I might add that I plan on most likely trying to use this replacement full time, as I managed when I was playing my 70's 13a4a (that is: concert band, big band, small setting jazz, marching, ect...). I get a nice, warm tone on a4a's, but that was before I started transitioning to smaller and smaller ID's. I have eventually landed between a comfortable range of .600 (Warburton 10) and .625 (Jet Tone BC). I could probably go from .590 to .630, but I haven't had a chance to try. I think rim shape and alpha angle has a lot to do with whether or not I can tolerate a mouthpiece in these ranges.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: